The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 10:06, Woland wrote:

What the current administration proposes does seem far more sinister -- even to Democratic Party politicians.

At least, as reported by the conservative press. Smile

Anyway, from the Washington Post: "Obama thinks it is crucial to allow taxpayers to learn more about contractors who seek federal funds"

Isn't the above a GOOD thing? If the public is aware of who the contractors are contributing money to, isn't it better able to determine whether the contracts are being awarded objectively and fairly or not? Here's another take on it:

Rein in government contractors who use t......dvantage
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 10:56, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 10:06, Woland wrote:

What the current administration proposes does seem far more sinister -- even to Democratic Party politicians.

At least, as reported by the conservative press. Smile

Anyway, from the Washington Post: "Obama thinks it is crucial to allow taxpayers to learn more about contractors who seek federal funds"

Isn't the above a GOOD thing? If the public is aware of who the contractors are contributing money to, isn't it better able to determine whether the contracts are being awarded contracts objectively and fairly or not? Here's another take on it:

Rein in government contractors who use t......dvantage

I have no problem if some agency is going to check that contracts are awarded properly. However I do not think anythingis wrong with a company whose main purpose is dependent on defense weapons to lobby for more of a defense budget. Do you reallybelieve they should lobby for a smaller budget? Again I have no nproblem as long as the contract is awarded to the best provider.

If your job was maintaining lawns would you lobby for people to have smaller lawns and no laws for maintaining their property or would you want bigger lawns and stricter controls as to how the lawns look? DUH?

If Joe was for smaller lawns and did not care how they looked he would not get my support if I was in the lawn maintenance business. However if John was for bigger lawns and laws that made the owner keep them groomed I would support him. I have to ask. Isn't that logical? It really does not sound devious to me at all.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5020 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well Woland, if the people on the enemies list were not damaged in some way, it wasn't for lack of trying (and there's no way to know the full extent of CIA/FBI involvement--remember we still don't even know the full motive for the illegal Watergate break-in).

The efforts of Nixon to use the IRS to destroy his enemies were fortunately sidelined somewhat by the integrity of the IRS commissioner Don Alexander who refused to do Nixon's bidding. Of course, Nixon attempted to fire him because of that.

"Mr. Alexander refused to launch tax audits of those on Nixon's infamous "enemies list," blocked an effort by the Agriculture Department to obtain the tax returns of all American farmers and sharply curtailed IRS participation in federal investigations into drug trafficking, organized crime and white collar crime. He repeatedly urged Congress to stiffen taxpayer confidentiality laws, which it did in 1976.

He later said restrictions on seeing tax returns were so lax that the IRS ran virtually "a lending library" of private tax data, and governors sometimes were shown tax records of their opponents."

More about Mr. Alexander here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con......675.html

And of course, if you remember, Nixon himself was a tax cheat (IIRC it was in his articles of impeachment) and was ordered to repay over $400,000 in back taxes and penalties.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 11:14, acesover wrote:

I have no problem if some agency is going to check that contracts are awarded properly. However I do not think anythingis wrong with a company whose main purpose is dependent on defense weapons to lobby for more of a defense budget. Do you reallybelieve they should lobby for a smaller budget? Again I have no nproblem as long as the contract is awarded to the best provider.

If your job was maintaining lawns would you lobby for people to have smaller lawns and no laws for maintaining their property or would you want bigger lawns and stricter controls as to how the lawns look? DUH?

That's fine for lawns, but I don't see how the no laws versus stricter controls figures into the defense budget lobbying issue.

If it figures in at all, I think it is more of a "smaller lawns with tight controls" versus "bigger lawns and less controls" sort of situation. Because I don't think many defense contractors lobby for tighter controls on the work they do.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
So BUsh helps an older man walk....And this means what? WE SHOULD HELP OUR ELDERS... Why are people being pointed out for doing things that we should??????
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Because not everybody does what we should . . . . and in the case you cite, it was also an example of turning the other cheek, and loving one's enemies . . . or should I say, "opponents" . . . .
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Weak

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Actually, landmark, your comments prove the point that the President Nixon's "enemies list(s)" hurt no one except himself . . . . are you aware of even one single credible account of anyone who was materially damaged by being on the "enemies list"?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 13:33, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 11:14, acesover wrote:

That's fine for lawns, but I don't see how the no laws versus stricter controls figures into the defense budget lobbying issue.

If it figures in at all, I think it is more of a "smaller lawns with tight controls" versus "bigger lawns and less controls" sort of situation. Because I don't think many defense contractors lobby for tighter controls on the work they do.

You may have read my post but obviously did not read my post. My whole point was and is, is that one would not campaign for less money being spent in ones industsry but rather do what they can do to increase that spending. While your point is that of increasing the military budget is an entirely different matter. By the way, I feel the military budget should e increased and cuts should be made in other places but that is not what we are discussing here. One does not bite the hand that feeds it. So by contributing to someone who would by their thinking and actions would help your industry they should recive your support. I am sure you would not see teachers contribute to those who propose education cuts. Again that is another topic and not what we are discussing here.

So I guess I am saying that your quote: "That's fine for lawns, but I don't see how the no laws versus stricter controls figures into the defense budget lobbying issue." is really a non issue as it veers off in another direction from this topic. One does not suport someone or something that would hurt their industry. That is not a difficult concept to follow.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 15:30, acesover wrote:

So I guess I am saying that your quote: "That's fine for lawns, but I don't see how the no laws versus stricter controls figures into the defense budget lobbying issue." is really a non issue as it veers off in another direction from this topic. One does not suport someone or something that would hurt their industry. That is not a difficult concept to follow.

Excuse me, but YOU were the one who introduced the "no laws versus stricter controls" bit into this conversation. I'm still not sure what you mean by that.

In fact, you appear to be contradicting yourself. First you say a lawn care industry would support "bigger lawns and stricter controls" but now you seem to be saying that defense contractors would support bigger projects and more spending with FEWER controls (because they do not want restrictions on their lobbying activity).

BTW, I said NOTHING about increasing or decreasing defense spending. Several of my family members are presently serving in the U.S. military, so for all I care please do increase military spending so long as it benefits them.

I certainly have to agree with your comment "One does not suport someone or something that would hurt their industry." Of course, there are probably differences of opinion on what is good for the industry within the industry itself (e.g., big and small contractors probably have some differences of opinion).
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 15:46, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 15:30, acesover wrote:

Excuse me, but YOU were the one who introduced the "no laws versus stricter controls" bit into this conversation. I'm still not sure what you mean by that.

In fact, you appear to be contradicting yourself. First you say a lawn care industry would support "bigger lawns and stricter controls" but now you seem to be saying that defense contractors would support bigger projects and more spending with FEWER controls (because they do not want restrictions on their lobbying activity).

BTW, I said NOTHING about increasing or decreasing defense spending. Several of my family members are presently serving in the U.S. military, so for all I care please do increase military spending so long as it benefits them.

Of for God's sake forget it.

The only point I was trying to make, and maybe I did not make it clear enough for you, was to say that no one will do things to hurt themselves but will do things to support themselves and to this you seem to find fault. No real issues here for either side fo spending or non spending just simple logic. I am not trying to debate who can contribute or who cannot just say9ing that if one contributes it will surely be to their benefit not their detriment. To you this sems to be a faulty concept. I find it nothing more than good business sense. Forget the issues here just the concept. You do not contribute to someone or something that will hurt you but rather to those that will benefit you. End of stsory no moral story here or special group just common sense. Don't bring in any issues. That is why I picked something as mundane as lawns but you can even twist that. Phewww...you are something.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 19:52, acesover wrote:
Yea he had a deferrment and then became the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States. I think every soldier that ever saluted him, after doing so probably puked.

An interesting read: http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon.asp

I think you are very wrong!

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"The only point I was trying to make, and maybe I did not make it clear enough for you, was to say that no one will do things to hurt themselves but will do things to support themselves and to this you seem to find fault."

I guess you missed it, and (to use your words) maybe I did not make it clear enough for you, but I just finished saying that I agreed with you about no one doing things to hurt themselves etc. So, no, I find no fault with that particular statement. As for the rest of it, by all means let us forget it as you suggest.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 16:06, kcg5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 19:52, acesover wrote:
Yea he had a deferrment and then became the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the United States. I think every soldier that ever saluted him, after doing so probably puked.

An interesting read: http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/felon.asp

I think you are very wrong!

You could be right. Or wrong.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 16:08, balducci wrote:
"The only point I was trying to make, and maybe I did not make it clear enough for you, was to say that no one will do things to hurt themselves but will do things to support themselves and to this you seem to find fault."

I guess you missed it, and (to use your words) maybe I did not make it clear enough for you, but I just finished saying that I agreed with you about no one doing things to hurt themselves etc. So, no, I find no fault with that particular statement. As for the rest of it, by all means let us forget it as you suggest.

Done....thanks for pointing that out. I do see where you said that.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
There's an old saying about bowing to the crown, not the man wearing it.
We've had some very flawed individuals holding the office of POTUS, but I still respect the position and I respect the rights of the voters to pick whatever idiot they want to hold it.
All this crap with people like Chuck Norris wanting Texas to secede just 'cause he don't like the guy the American people chose. Real patriotic. He ain't even from Texas.
Guess what? We have term limits. That means every four years, if you don't like the jerkwad that's in charge, there's hope that we might get a better one. It never happens, but there's always a shot.
America is the greatest country on the planet, warts and all.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Agreed 100% Critter. But this is hilarious:

Quote:
“The first time I had Guinness,” Obama said, “is when I came to the Shannon airport. We were flying into Afghanistan and so stopped in Shannon. It was the middle of the night. And I tried one of these and I realized it tastes so much better here than it does in the States.”
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 22:35, Woland wrote:
Agreed 100% Critter. But this is hilarious:

Quote:
“The first time I had Guinness,” Obama said, “is when I came to the Shannon airport. We were flying into Afghanistan and so stopped in Shannon. It was the middle of the night. And I tried one of these and I realized it tastes so much better here than it does in the States.”

Unless he has lived in a cave and never drank beer for most of his life, he probably meant that the first time he had Guinness in _Ireland_ was at the Shannon airport. But not the first time ever.

By chance if you are commenting on the "tastes so much better here than it does in the States" bit ... I've heard many people make that claim. I'm not entirely sure I buy it, but it is hard to do a side by side taste test.

I was very amused by the limo video. And the 2008 date kerfuffle.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:08, balducci wrote:

Unless he has lived in a cave and never drank beer for most of his life, he probably meant that the first time he had Guinness in _Ireland_ was at the Shannon airport. But not the first time ever.

It's not unbelievable that Obama never had Guinness before going to Ireland. I remember the first time I was in Chicago and being appalled at the lack of variety I saw in the beer aisle. It was strictly major American brewed swill and not a foreign or micro brew in sight. Granted, that was over 20 years ago. I am sure things have changed. However dark beers are not terribly popular stateside. So one could quite easily avoid them for most of their lives. Many people tend to favor certain brews and will only venture to try a unfamiliar brand when theirs isn't available.

Quote:

By chance if you are commenting on the "tastes so much better here than it does in the States" bit ... I've heard many people make that claim. I'm not entirely sure I buy it, but it is hard to do a side by side taste test.

I was very amused by the limo video.

Again this is true. Not only do most "pubs" state side serve Guinness cold. A horrible sacrilege which makes it almost totally unpalatable. However the major consensus is that it just doesn't travel well. Many people claim that there is a marked difference between a pint in Dublin and one served in England. Being improperly drawn also seems to be a major concern. I've never had a pint in Dublin. But I had a pint in England and there is a marked difference between it there and here.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:28, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:08, balducci wrote:

It's not unbelievable that Obama never had Guinness before going to Ireland. I remember the first time I was in Chicago and being appalled at the lack of variety I saw in the beer aisle.

My understanding is that Obama is a beer drinker. And he did ride in the Chicago St. Patrick's Day parade at least once. And I imagine he participated in other Irish community events in Chicago, as a local politician there. At many of those events, I imagine some Guinness would be nearby.

So while it is possible that he never tasted Guinness prior to his trip to Ireland, I would be surprised if that was indeed the case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL