The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:28, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:08, balducci wrote:

By chance if you are commenting on the "tastes so much better here than it does in the States" bit ... I've heard many people make that claim. I'm not entirely sure I buy it, but it is hard to do a side by side taste test.

Again this is true. Not only do most "pubs" state side serve Guinness cold. A horrible sacrilege which makes it almost totally unpalatable. However the major consensus is that it just doesn't travel well. Many people claim that there is a marked difference between a pint in Dublin and one served in England. Being improperly drawn also seems to be a major concern. I've never had a pint in Dublin. But I had a pint in England and there is a marked difference between it there and here.

When I was in Dublin 2 years ago, most of the traditional Irish pubs there were serving Guinness cold. At least as cold as I get it here in Canada, anyway. (When I was in London about a decade ago, the big thing in the pubs was serving beer "extra" cold).

Surprisingly, Guinness was not the beer of choice in the pubs among the Irish customers when I was in Dublin. I believe Budweiser was actually 'king' among locals at the time. This is what I was told when I toured a Guinness brewery there. Budweiser is brewed, marketed, and sold by Guinness in Ireland.

I know that Guinness is brewed under license in many different countries. It is in Canada for instance. So the 'travel well' thing does not really apply here, as it is brewed locally. My understanding is that Guinness is brewed locally in at least some parts of the U.S. (London, England, is possibly close enough to Ireland that all Guinness there is imported.)

Anyway, I am happy to drink Guinness anywhere, anytime, at any temperature they're serving it at. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What a lot of great distraction. I must say that I am absolutely NOT a supporter of our President. Do not agree with much of anything he does. Ok, but really isn't he just doing sort of a PR tour anyhow? I mean who cares about a fake Irish accent he is horrible at, and a limo stuck and whatever the heck WHO CARES?

I was more upset about his 67 lines speach than any of that stuff! Again something of SUBSTANCE to talk about and we get video of a limo and people clamour to find fault with the guy. I mean come on, does it REALLY matter when a politician of any sort says something about a beer in a country little bigger than Michigan?

No I do not happen to think he is very "statesman" like or whatever. But he is our President for pity sake! Lets have the partasianship end at the shores, THE SAME WAY I WANTED IT TO WITH THE LAST PRESIDENT! He is out there doing sort of a PR tour and is our President.

Oh and by the way, IF you were in Chicago any time after 1992 and could not find Guinness served the right way, you simply didn't go into enough places. The company had reps teaching how to pour it, make the shamrock in the head and serve Black and Tan as well. I was a bartender, trust me it was easy to find.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-24 23:49, balducci wrote:

Surprisingly, Guinness was not the beer of choice in the pubs among the Irish customers when I was in Dublin. I believe Budweiser was actually 'king' among locals at the time.

I was a bartender at a Chinese restaurant for a couple of years. As a very reliable general rule, the white guys who would come in would order Tsing Tao, and the Chinese guys who came in would order Budweiser.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
While serving in the Army, I was stationed in Germany twice, Bad Tolz the first time and Mannheim the second. Both times, I managed to find an out or the way gasthaus that very few Americans went to. Both times, after befriending the owners, bootleg American beer and, especially, whiskey were the order of the day. Many friends were made over a fifth of Jack or Southern Comfort bought from the tax-free post exchange. At the Mannheim gasthaus, a place called the Nesthachen, Coors was as good as gold.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 00:24, Dannydoyle wrote:

I mean who cares about a fake Irish accent he is horrible at, and a limo stuck and whatever the heck WHO CARES? ... I mean come on, does it REALLY matter when a politician of any sort says something about a beer in a country little bigger than Michigan?

All true, but it is still a pleasant change from the birth certificate nonsense. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 00:32, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 00:24, Dannydoyle wrote:

I mean who cares about a fake Irish accent he is horrible at, and a limo stuck and whatever the heck WHO CARES? ... I mean come on, does it REALLY matter when a politician of any sort says something about a beer in a country little bigger than Michigan?

All true, but it is still a pleasant change from the birth certificate nonsense. Smile

Thank you for the perspective, and to inch just a bit closer to the end of the world I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
Surprisingly, Guinness was not the beer of choice in the pubs among the Irish customers when I was in Dublin. I believe Budweiser was actually 'king' among locals at the time. This is what I was told when I toured a Guinness brewery there. Budweiser is brewed, marketed, and sold by Guinness in Ireland.

My German teacher told us that Budweiser was a Danish beer first, and then America made our version. She said the version you can buy in Europe is way different than ours.
She told us this because we were going through some grocery store ads from Germany and I said, "Man, why do they like Bud so much?"
Not that I have anything against American beers. We have some local microbrews that I'd put against anything in the world.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Budweis is actually a town in Bohemia, in what is now the Czech Republic. There is a Czech Budweiser beer, and there were some trademark issues, especially when a controlling interest in Anheuser Busch was sold to a Belgian company. Don't know how it worked out.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 11:25, critter wrote:
Quote:

My German teacher told us that Budweiser was a Danish beer first, and then America made our version. She said the version you can buy in Europe is way different than ours.

That may be true historically, but the Bud that Guinness brews today in Ireland is without a doubt the American style.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Considering the fact that the natural ingredients which are used in its manufacture must vary considerably from batch to batch, and that the water supply in the various cities where it is brewed also vary, the uniformity of (American) Budweiser is quite an accomplishment of art and science. They also have the best commercials.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
I was a bartender in England briefly years ago, and the Guinness there was much better than what we got in the states at the time. First, the Guinness was on tap from a keg, not from bottles, which made a difference. And as someone else has mentioned, supposedly the ship voyage over shook the stout too much and messed it up. Now there are some bars in NYC where you can get Guinness on tap, but I don't know if it's better than the bottles.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
If we may revenons a nos moutons, this list will no doubt be considered in......s forum:

Quote:
How many times has Obama flunked diplomatic protocol in the United Kingdom?

Let us count the ways…

1. Immediately after taking office, Obama shipped the White House bust of Winston Churchill back to England.

2. Then Obama gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a bunch of cheap DVDs as a gift.

3. A few weeks later, Michelle Obama broke centuries of international protocol by hugging the queen.

4. Then Obama gave Queen Elizabeth the gift of an iPod, filled with his own speeches.

And 5 makes a Royal Flush…

5. Obama just completely screwed up a toast to the Queen.

But I think Michael Barone underscores consequential......olicies:

Quote:
Question: What do the following have in common? Eckert Cold Storage Co., Kerly Homes of Yuma, Classic Party Rentals, West Coast Turf Inc., Ellenbecker Investment Group Inc., Only in San Francisco, Hotel Nikko, International Pacific Halibut Commission, City of Puyallup, Local 485 Health and Welfare Fund, Chicago Plastering Institute Health & Welfare Fund, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee, Teamsters Local 522 Fund Welfare Fund Roofers Division, StayWell Saipan Basic Plan, CIGNA, Caribbean Workers' Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Health and Welfare Plan.
Answer: They are all among the 1,372 businesses, state and local governments, labor unions and insurers, covering 3,095,593 individuals or families, that have been granted a waiver from Obamacare by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius.

All of which raises another question: If Obamacare is so great, why do so many people want to get out from under it?

More specifically, why are more than half of those 3,095,593 in plans run by labor unions, which were among Obamacare's biggest political supporters? Union members are only 12 percent of all employees but have gotten 50.3 percent of Obamacare waivers.

Just in April, Sebelius granted 38 waivers to restaurants, nightclubs, spas and hotels in former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco congressional district. Pelosi's office said she had nothing to do with it.

On its website HHS pledges that the waiver process will be transparent. But it doesn't list those whose requests for waivers have been denied.

He concludes:

Quote:
One basic principle of the rule of law is that laws apply to everybody. If the sign says "No Parking," you're not supposed to park there even if you're a pal of the alderman.

Another principle of the rule of law is that government can't make up new rules to help its cronies and hurt its adversaries except through due process, such as getting a legislature to pass a new law.

The Obamacare waiver process appears to violate that first rule. Two other recent Obama administration actions appear to violate the second.

One example is the National Labor Relations Board general counsel's action to prevent Boeing from building a $2 billion assembly plant for the 787 Dreamliner in South Carolina, which has a right-to-work law barring compulsory union membership. The NLRB says Boeing has to assemble the planes in non-right-to-work Washington state.

"I don't agree," says William Gould IV, NLRB chairman during the Clinton years. "The Boeing case is unprecedented."

The other example is the Internal Revenue Service's attempt to levy a gift tax on donors to certain 501(c)(4) organizations that just happen to have spent money to elect Republicans.

A gift tax is normally assessed on transfers to children and other heirs that are designed to avoid estate taxes. It has been applied to political donations "rarely, if ever," according to New York Times reporter Stephanie Strom.

"The timing of the agency's moves, as the 2012 election cycle gets under way," continues Strom, "is prompting some tax law and campaign finance experts to question whether the IRS could be sending a signal in an effort to curtail big donations."

In a Univision radio interview during the 2010 election cycle, Barack Obama urged Latinos not "to sit out the election instead of saying, 'We're going to punish our enemies and we're going to reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us.' "

Punishing enemies and rewarding friends -- politics Chicago style -- seems to be the unifying principle that helps explain the Obamacare waivers, the NLRB action against Boeing and the IRS' gift-tax assault on 501(c)(4) donors.

They look like examples of crony capitalism, bailout favoritism and gangster government.

One thing they don't look like is the rule of law.

Woland
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Write something for your self. Excuse me, I'm going to quote war and peace
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 12:12, Woland wrote:
If we may revenons a nos moutons, this list will no doubt be considered inconsequential by the serious thinkers in this forum:

Woland

Since I don't consider myself a serious thinker, I was daydreaming fondly of my favorite Presidential diplomatic gaffe (no, not GWB massaging the alluring Angela Merkel's shoulders) but this: President GH Bush vomiting on the Japanese prime minister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo

W., Sometimes you just bring out the devil in me.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Ditto.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 12:12, Woland wrote:

5. Obama just completely screwed up a toast to the Queen.

As the article notes in the second paragraph it was the orchestra that was at fault. They simply should not have started playing until the President had finished speaking. Furthermore (from another article): while attending a meeting at 10 Downing Street with Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg , reporters heard Clegg say, "when the music starts...I thought you did exactly the right thing".

Obama was given standing ovations in Ireland and in Britain over the last few days ... I'm sure those just slipped your mind. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Speaking of contrasts:

"In 1991, while his father was president, George W. Bush is said to have introduced himself to the Queen as “the black sheep of the family,” and dared to ask her who his equivalent was in the Windsor family, according to the BBC. When he realized his error, he winked at the monarch, committing another etiquette no-no."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-......2034461/
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yes, landmark, that was an immortal moment! Although I think he was actually sick with something.

Anyway, we should rename this forum Tu Quoque, shouldn't we?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it's really the Reverse-Tu-Quoque. The ongoing fallacy by the forum's most partisan members isn't a belief that parallel misdeeds from the other side of the aisle excuse one's own team's misdeeds, but rather the belief that the misdeeds are only (or overwhelmingly) happening on the other side of the aisle.

Political blunders and wrongdoings are like a number line going from 1 to 100, with the Republicans and/or conservatives saying, "Wow, look, 3, 7, 11, 17, 19, 23, 65...man, there are a lot of odd numbers on this number line," and the Democrats and/or liberals saying, "2, 6, 14, 28, 34, 42, 50...man, there are a lot of even numbers on this number line."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Woland==

"How many times has Obama flunked diplomatic protocol in the United Kingdom?

Let us count the ways…

1. Immediately after taking office, Obama shipped the White House bust of Winston Churchill back to England.

2. Then Obama gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a bunch of cheap DVDs as a gift.

3. A few weeks later, Michelle Obama broke centuries of international protocol by hugging the queen.

4. Then Obama gave Queen Elizabeth the gift of an iPod, filled with his own speeches.

And 5 makes a Royal Flush…

5. Obama just completely screwed up a toast to the Queen."

these might all be true, in some way... But ALL the links are for one sided websites, nothing of value-no respected papers. Just local stations, talk radio ect-drivel
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL