The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously this is a discussion?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
So what does this say about President Bush's character, Woland?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 15:46, Dannydoyle wrote:

I empathize with your pain. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I agree with you, balducci, I think the use of a remotely manipulated pen under the President's direct control would be more aesthetic -- something like the surgical "Da Vinci" device.

I was unaware that the expedient of the autopen had been used before. The fact that President Bush used one does not reflect well on his judgment - but I've never said that I hold him up as an example of everything good. I think he does deserve recognition for the good things about him.

And I don't think that Laura Bush ever invited to perform at the White House, a poet who celebrated cop-killing, and t......bout it:

Quote:
"We had a poetry session and we invited young kids in just last week from all over the country. And they talked to some of the most outstanding poets, and they read their poetry in the state room," the first lady said to a group of high school girls gathered at Oxford University. "And then we had a poetry night and Common was there. He's very cute. But everybody from poet laureates to hip-hop folks, being able to mix up the world in that very interesting way, the White House allows you to do that."

Common's invitation to the White House poetry event earlier this month raised the eyebrows of some conservatives, and the ire of New Jersey police officers because of his tune "A Song for Assata." It pledges support for Assata Shakur who was convicted of killing a trooper in the Garden State in 1973. Some of Common's other lyrics criticize the 2003 U.S. led invasion of Iraq. Still, others argue the rap artist is a positive force whose music and message have matured over the years.

(Incidentally, Assata Shakur --just the sort of person whose exploits should be celebrated in the White House-- was broken out of prison by armed men in 1979 and who is now living as a "political exile" in Cuba, is the sister of Mutulu Shakur, who helped plan the 1981 Brinks robbery that involved the murder of two Nyack policeman, one of whom was white, and the other black. Mutulu Shakur was the stepfather of the rapper Tupac Shakur who was gunned down in an apparent gang drive-by shooting in 1996.)

W./
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Ah, Woland. I must say, I look forward to another five and a half years of your entertaining anti-Obama posts.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
My Gawd, Woland. You keep lobbing these soft balls. Maybe try a change-up or something.

Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:08, Woland wrote:

And I don't think that Laura Bush ever invited to perform at the White House, a poet who celebrated cop-killing, and t......bout it:

So the big controversy in the news this week is how Chicago rapper Common was invited to the Obama White House. Republicans and conservative commentators, Fox News anchors like Sean Hannity, and talk radio people like Glenn Beck are all up in arms, because Common has a few verses in a few of his songs that are of a violent nature, anti-police, etc.

What they forgot was that Eazy-E, the late, controversial rapper from the gangster rap group NWA, was also invited to a Republican White House luncheon on March 18, 1991, when George H.W. Bush was president.

If you don’t know about Eazy-E, let’s just say that he makes Common look like Vanilla Ice when it comes to violent lyrical content. Just about all of Eazy-E’s songs concerned killing cops in lurid detail, raping women, shooting people, robbing people, etc.

And yet, it didn’t stop then Republican Senate leader Bob Dole from inviting Eazy-E (aka Eric Wright) to attend an exclusive luncheon with the president and Senatorial Inner Circle.

http://oddculture.com/weird-celebrities/......e-house/
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

We are, indeed, judged by the company we keep.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Actually, balducci, you make a convincing case that the cultural rot of the West has affected both parties.

Magnus, the shadows on that picture make it look photo-shopped. There is an authentic video clip showing Special Envoy Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam in Baghdad in 1983, during the Iran-Iraq war.

Do you think that is any more d***ing than FDR shaking hands with Josef Stalin, and surrendering Eastern Europe to him at Yalta?

Woland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
We are, indeed, judged by the company we keep.

I'm guessing that you are right.

This one is authentic, I believe.

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
That's the one! Is that any worse than Churchill & FDR sitting down, breaking bread, shaking hands, and sending weapons and material to Stalin?

According to the immortal Varlam Shalamov, some of the trucks that were used to steam-shovel into open, mass, unmakred graves, the still corpses of zeks who died of the cold in the Kolyma canmps, were Studebakers provided to Stalin under lend-lease provisions.

Pretty disgusting. But Germany & Japan had to be defeated first. It's too bad that Saddam didn't finish off Khomeini.

W./
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:55, Woland wrote:
That's the one! Is that any worse than Churchill & FDR sitting down, breaking bread, shaking hands, and sending weapons and material to Stalin?

According to the immortal Varlam Shalamov, some of the trucks that were used to steam-shovel into open, mass, unmakred graves, the still corpses of zeks who died of the cold in the Kolyma canmps, were Studebakers provided to Stalin under lend-lease provisions.

Pretty disgusting. But Germany & Japan had to be defeated first. It's too bad that Saddam didn't finish off Khomeini.

W./

Of course not. That is my point. You are picking individual interactions and trying to draw conclusions about the characters involved. The world of politics is significantly more complex than that.

Check out the murderer Ronald Reagan was caught hanging with:

John
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:

Indeed. I too am distressed that most people are concerned about HOW Obama signed it. Not THAT he signed it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:56, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Check out the murderer Ronald Reagan was caught hanging with:

John

Hey, is that Charles Ng?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-27 17:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[Hey, is that Charles Ng?

Wow. Now that's wit! I am in awe.

John
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Just a little Memorial Day serial killer humor.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 15:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Here's the part I agree with:

Quote:
Maybe I'm having a Bill Keller moment: maybe the technology doesn't matter, and the analog ceremony of a human hand and a pen and a piece of paper is just familiar theater.

Regardless of what you think of the Patriot Act, in the 21st century, I think it's impractical to the point of silliness (this is the kinder, gentler me; 'stupidity' first came to mind) to suggest that if the President were to sign the bill, he should have traveled from Europe to D.C. just to put pen to paper.

Geez, I'm having a Danny moment here. This is the best, Woland, you can come up with, in disagreement with Obama? I guess it's that in fact his policies are basically just the same as the "other" side, and it might be imprudent to point that out. The "Patriot" Act, a massive invasion of our constitutional rights is routinely renewed with nary a change, and very little opposition, and the best you can come up with is the autopen. SMH.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Common believed the woman in Cuba was innocent I believe. Oriely "challenged" Jon Stewart to a debate on it, and had people vote on the winner on his (orielys) site. Stewart won, in every state.

Bono wrote a song about Leonard Peltier, someone convicted of killing FBI agents, but Bush had him at the white house. But he is white, and not a rapper, and does so much for Africa....or something.

the entire thing is idiotic.

I hope at least one of you watches the "debate"...It was awesome.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think Leonard Peltier was very likely guilty . . . however, if he had not run away, and had decided to stand trial with the others who were indicted for those crimes, Bob Robideau and Dino Butler, he probably would have been found not guilty because of self defense, as they were. By the time his trial came around, the jury in Fargo was not as sympathetic to the cause as the jury in Cedar Rapids. But I agree, Bono should not have been invited to the White House. As I said, celebrating the degradation of American culture did not begin with the present administration. But the crimes of the past do not excuse the crimes of the present.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:58, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. I too am distressed that most people are concerned about HOW Obama signed it. Not THAT he signed it.

My friend, (and I am serious when I say that, and say it about balducci also.) if you were here I would be buying you a beer.(Along with balducci.)

I would rather talk with those I disagree with about things of substance than The View version of politics! I know you each like this for the reason I despise it. If anyone seriously thinks this is the way to win the White House... lord kill me now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 19:07, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 15:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Here's the part I agree with:

Quote:
Maybe I'm having a Bill Keller moment: maybe the technology doesn't matter, and the analog ceremony of a human hand and a pen and a piece of paper is just familiar theater.

Regardless of what you think of the Patriot Act, in the 21st century, I think it's impractical to the point of silliness (this is the kinder, gentler me; 'stupidity' first came to mind) to suggest that if the President were to sign the bill, he should have traveled from Europe to D.C. just to put pen to paper.

Geez, I'm having a Danny moment here. This is the best, Woland, you can come up with, in disagreement with Obama? I guess it's that in fact his policies are basically just the same as the "other" side, and it might be imprudent to point that out. The "Patriot" Act, a massive invasion of our constitutional rights is routinely renewed with nary a change, and very little opposition, and the best you can come up with is the autopen. SMH.

I did not mean to leave you out of my list of those I disagree with but would buy a beer.

As for the dueling rapper thingie happening one thing I always enjoy is when one side does something obviously stupid (which inviting the rapper was) then they go back and mine information till they find an instance of which the other side did the same thing. Then we get the 2nd grade response of "well you did it too". Come on. As dumb as the attack is in light of the fact that Obama has planned and executed an assasination on prosperity, the defence of it was pretty stupid also.

I have to say something about our President which is a contrast though. Bush II did not defend himself much in public. Much of the lies and distortions were simply deflected and let go. He didn't lower himself into too many pie fights. Some yes, but mostly not so much. And the media savaged him for 8 years. Our current President seems to answer each and every charge. The glaring exception being the birth certificate nonsense. I am not saying it is good, or bad, simply a little bit of a difference is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL