The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:08, Woland wrote:
I agree with you, balducci, I think the use of a remotely manipulated pen under the President's direct control would be more aesthetic -- something like the surgical "Da Vinci" device.

I was unaware that the expedient of the autopen had been used before. The fact that President Bush used one does not reflect well on his judgment - but I've never said that I hold him up as an example of everything good. I think he does deserve recognition for the good things about him.

And I don't think that Laura Bush ever invited to perform at the White House, a poet who celebrated cop-killing, and t......bout it:

Quote:
"We had a poetry session and we invited young kids in just last week from all over the country. And they talked to some of the most outstanding poets, and they read their poetry in the state room," the first lady said to a group of high school girls gathered at Oxford University. "And then we had a poetry night and Common was there. He's very cute. But everybody from poet laureates to hip-hop folks, being able to mix up the world in that very interesting way, the White House allows you to do that."

Common's invitation to the White House poetry event earlier this month raised the eyebrows of some conservatives, and the ire of New Jersey police officers because of his tune "A Song for Assata." It pledges support for Assata Shakur who was convicted of killing a trooper in the Garden State in 1973. Some of Common's other lyrics criticize the 2003 U.S. led invasion of Iraq. Still, others argue the rap artist is a positive force whose music and message have matured over the years.

(Incidentally, Assata Shakur --just the sort of person whose exploits should be celebrated in the White House-- was broken out of prison by armed men in 1979 and who is now living as a "political exile" in Cuba, is the sister of Mutulu Shakur, who helped plan the 1981 Brinks robbery that involved the murder of two Nyack policeman, one of whom was white, and the other black. Mutulu Shakur was the stepfather of the rapper Tupac Shakur who was gunned down in an apparent gang drive-by shooting in 1996.)

W./
Good Lord, Woland. John Bleeping Stewart covered this the other night. The rapper's appeared with Elmo, for God's sake.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Who's Elmo?
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think who cares if peliter was at the white house? What real difference does it make? None. Who cares that jinny cash has been there? It's a dumb arguement, a dumb subject.

Elmo was the Prime Minister of poland
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 20:09, Dannydoyle wrote:

My friend, (and I am serious when I say that, and say it about balducci also.) if you were here I would be buying you a beer.(Along with balducci.)

I would rather talk with those I disagree with about things of substance than The View version of politics! I know you each like this for the reason I despise it. If anyone seriously thinks this is the way to win the White House... lord kill me now.

Cheers and thanks. Smile

Some may find it hard to believe, but I really do not care much one way or the other about who is President. Nor does the choice of U.S. President affect me here in Canada all that much (if at all). It may affect some of my U.S. relatives (mostly Republican and Tea Party types, believe it or not), but they are all old enough to look after themselves.

I do enjoy the political talk because I find it interesting. And U.S. politics and the perpetual U.S. election cycles are so much more interesting than what we have up here in Canada (e.g., our 30 day election cycles).

I'd rather talk about substantial political issues over the silly stuff but if people want to talk about silly stuff so be it. I am fortunate in that I can simply appreciate the entertainment value provided by the inanities (e.g., birth certificate, autopen, toast to the Queen, stuck limo, bust of Churchill, etc.).

You have my sympathies that you are not in the same boat.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 21:40, Woland wrote:
Who's Elmo?

Don't you watch Sesame Street?

Come on you had to know that was coming.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Agree that QE2 does an admirable job. A bit worried about the succession, however.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 21:25, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-27 16:08, Woland wrote:
I agree with you, balducci, I think the use of a remotely manipulated pen under the President's direct control would be more aesthetic -- something like the surgical "Da Vinci" device.

I was unaware that the expedient of the autopen had been used before. The fact that President Bush used one does not reflect well on his judgment - but I've never said that I hold him up as an example of everything good. I think he does deserve recognition for the good things about him.

And I don't think that Laura Bush ever invited to perform at the White House, a poet who celebrated cop-killing, and t......bout it:

Quote:
"We had a poetry session and we invited young kids in just last week from all over the country. And they talked to some of the most outstanding poets, and they read their poetry in the state room," the first lady said to a group of high school girls gathered at Oxford University. "And then we had a poetry night and Common was there. He's very cute. But everybody from poet laureates to hip-hop folks, being able to mix up the world in that very interesting way, the White House allows you to do that."

Common's invitation to the White House poetry event earlier this month raised the eyebrows of some conservatives, and the ire of New Jersey police officers because of his tune "A Song for Assata." It pledges support for Assata Shakur who was convicted of killing a trooper in the Garden State in 1973. Some of Common's other lyrics criticize the 2003 U.S. led invasion of Iraq. Still, others argue the rap artist is a positive force whose music and message have matured over the years.

(Incidentally, Assata Shakur --just the sort of person whose exploits should be celebrated in the White House-- was broken out of prison by armed men in 1979 and who is now living as a "political exile" in Cuba, is the sister of Mutulu Shakur, who helped plan the 1981 Brinks robbery that involved the murder of two Nyack policeman, one of whom was white, and the other black. Mutulu Shakur was the stepfather of the rapper Tupac Shakur who was gunned down in an apparent gang drive-by shooting in 1996.)

W./
Good Lord, Woland. John Bleeping Stewart covered this the other night. The rapper's appeared with Elmo, for God's sake.

Well I guess Comedy Central has the final word in all things huh? Are you even serious when you post?

And incidently lets just say that a caucasion President had some racist metal band at the White House but had Cookie Monster there. Would that make it ok?

I don't care either way, but really your messiah probably miscalculaated here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
And incidently lets just say that a caucasion President had some racist metal band at the White House but had Cookie Monster there. Would that make it ok?

The Cookie Monster's metal band is not racist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WaRrh1CpQw&feature=related
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this a contrast, or what? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL