The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Listen up you lot! Advance your sidewalk show!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Hi Joe,

Hopefully I haven't come acros too pushy as that certainly isn't my intention. Reckon that's one of the problems with internet discussions as it hard too read/write in the proper tone intended.
I totally agree with you (and Koz) that everyones situation/eviroment is different. Bloke working one pitch, weekends in small downtown vs someone working major cities trying to earn a living. etc
That said I'm trying to bring to light, the importance of being able to do a longer, more complete show if one wants to persue busking performing to a full-time, venture abroad. Too be quite honest I think this is probably a small percentage. Which is good as it certainly is no bed of roses.
So I'm not saying a half hour show is better than a 10 min show or vise versa. But what I'm trying to convey that if you want to persue busking to a further level, and by this I mean making a living at it and working abroad, then yes I really believe you gotta/ have to be able to do a longer show in order to compete/survive. Just my experience which I'm passing on.
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
No problem! Thanks.
aka Mike Booth
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
So many of these posts just sound like someone reading out of their favorite theory book on busking.
Blah, blah, blah, blah.. same ol', same ol' blah, blah, blah.

Everybody wants to be a guru. Blah, blah, blah

Kozmo actually discussed heat, etc. ...an example of someone that doesn't sound like they are reading out of a book.

p.s. Buskers need to work on their spelling! LOL
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
It always depends on the variables.

Learn the spread. Work the pitch you're on.

I will do a short set all day ling and be happy as h#ll doing it. Then again, if the pitch allows (space, ambient temp. and pace) Im doing a bigger show. If there's a BIG pitch (room for 4 or 5 hundred) I'm going there and doing monsters.

I learned from Kozmo that there isn't always a big pitch. In fact,there arent hardly any anymore. So you're gonna starve unless you have a small show. I learned the art of the small show from Kozmo and it actually made my bigger shows so much better. The monsters are monsters because of the small show lesson learned.

Start small get good at it and then work your way up. You will be better for it. Koz told me the same thing Cellini told him. Sometimes you just have to toil.

If you cant make it unless you can only do one kind of show then you're screwed. If ya don't think the hour long shows pay then you're not doing something right or just havent seen a good show yet.

Go pay your dues, make them bones...
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hey Bobby, how did that thing work out with your friend Jeff? What's his full name? What's his home pitch or his web site? I'd love to talk things over with him.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

I called him up and he swears its him...I'm gonna go by his house and be sure its the same picture before we get into all that.

I'm almost positive though...then again it would be hard to tell with the head turned...

I will let you know.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
It wouldn't be hard at all. There are 6 padlocks in two different styles, two of them are marked with black tape, and they are arranged in a specific order up and down my back. The chains are in a very specific position, and the scenery around me is easy to pick out, like the stone wall I'm standing in front of. And don't get me started on the moles on my back, lol. Plainly put, it's the only one like it in the world and it is mine. Just because my face is not visible doesn't give anyone the right to claim it as theirs. I'd very much like to see the photo you are talking about.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Hey Chance relax. I told you I will look at it again, only this time I will have my phone and pull up your pic at the same time to compare...no worries!

If its the same, you will be the first to know. Then you can come and beat him up! LOL!
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 20:32, Kozmo wrote:
Your show needs to be flexable.... end it quick or build it strong. To do this start small and it will build naturally. You will improve. I see new guys trying to do large shows right off the bat and most fail. Start small. Its better to do 10 minutes of great material than 20 minutes of mediocre. Trust me on this, I'm right. You try to do big you will fail and you will quit. Besides that, You can do a 10 minute show anywhere. Theres always a pitch to work. ALWAYS! Do a huge circle show and you will chase a pitch your entire career.

Well said. If you can't do a solid 20 minute show, you shouldn't expect to be able to do a 40 minute show.

I build my show in modules ... a modular show. I don't do a set show ... each section has a particular purpose, and sometimes I need to fill that purpose and other times I don't.

Like if I've announced I'm going to do a magic trick and the kids come forward but the parents don't ... then I do "mis-led". After phase one, I say "if you guys in the back can't see you can come forward and see the illusion too, I don't mind" ... then I purposefully hide the illusion so they can't see it, forcing them to come forward. It works nearly every time.

But if I announce I'm doing a magic show and the entire family comes forward ... then there is no need for me to do "mis-led" ... it serves no purpose, it no longer has any meaning. It doesn't actually do anything.

Knowing "what" to do ... "when" to do it ... and "why" to do it ... that takes a real knack. If you can figure that out, you will never need to second guess your show structure.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
An hour show that holds people on the street...if I was wearing a hat I would tip it to you (and empty my wallet at the end)...that is impressive.

Street veterans may correct me on this (it is from memory) but didn't Mal Cross work New York with three tricks? If I remember one of them was anti-gravico (and the other two were equally simple).

I also have a friend who does a small, short show and has for decades. In his case he lives near a tourist area and there is something in the city ordinance that says he can do it right outside of where he lives. He pulls himself together and goes downstairs to the entrance to his apartment building. His commute is three flights of stairs.

Just thoughts to share...I don't claim to be an expert (or even remotely close).

Question for veterans of the street....do you burn out an area quicker with a sidewalk show or a bigger show...or does it make a difference...or, as many things are, does it just depend on many things?
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
This is a great post, really great discussion going on between Kozmo, Bobby, Chance, Stperformer, and all the others involved.

I can say I learned a lot from reading this one.

It seems Stperformer has really started some very insightful and provocative posts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Listen up you lot! Advance your sidewalk show!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL