The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you still study magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When I posted the question, I wasn't trying to get at a possible conflict between magicians and the government, although that is an interesting subject and I am enjoying the discussion. Another example of what I was trying to get at is this anecdote regarding the composer John Cage. Not quite the way I remember reading it in one of his books, but that was 40 years ago, and this may be a better version:

Quote:
"I certainly had no feeling for harmony, and Schoenberg thought that that would make it impossible for me to write music. He said, 'You'll come to a wall you won't be able to get through.' So I said, 'I'll beat my head against that wall.' " --John Cage

Would you devote your life to bearing your head against a wall that blocked your progress in this art?

Woland
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Woland
I have been put in the position of beating my head against the wall, and getting no where, so I divorced the b**ch. I took guitar lessons for years until I realized that there were far more gifted musicians than me starving, so I turned to juggling, comedy, and magic, because there was an honest buck to be made there.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 10:40, Vlad_77 wrote:
Nice thread Woland!

History is a great teacher to whom very few listen. History has taught us that if something is made illegal, the illegality of a thing will not alter what people do. History also teaches that if you want to make something dangerous - such as a book - then ban it. Totalitarian regimes never understood this lesson. If you find an idea dangerous to your philosophy then put that idea out there for all to read! Maybe the bible belt censors would learn this. I doubt it however since it seems they ban history books Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I was thinking how interesting it was that nobody seemed to catch Tommy's WONDERFUL indictment of the euphemism for torture known as waterboarding. I can well imagine though taking a cue from miltary personnel and stating while being waterboarded, "Vlad, serial number 2000+ posts, pick a CARDDDD!!"

I read in a history book that crime went way down under Vlad "The Impaler" and his enhanced enforcement procedures. Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes Vlad show us your teeth so we can tell if you are the real Dracula.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 11:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Vlad, the forbidden fruit model has its uses. It puts social boundaries on public discourse and behaviors.

It's been observed that the arts often are most interesting under oppressive regimes. Nice book by Gordon Rogoff about the theatre through the ages in this regard; I forget the name, maybe someone knows it.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16200 Posts

Profile of tommy
Should be some good stuff about today then.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
One could posit the boundaries of efficient socially acceptable discourse as a map of the society.
IE what ideas does the language easily describe and which take large constructs, what biological/social function are associated with what sort of affect in the language? That sort of map.

As an example our society, notice the vagaries of "to know" - which does not easily distinguish between remembered personal experience, book learning, belief, inference and imagined/whim/presupposition.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Jonathan,

Interesting observation. Makes me think of the difference between connaitre and savoir. But there are however a series of verbs that might be added . . . I ken, I reckon, I imagine, I suppose, etc . . .

Woland
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Quote:
On 2011-05-21 02:31, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
I'd go full jester. Paperballs over the head, sucker tricks, scams and such, and I'd go overboard with anti-establishment satire.

I assume gambling would have to be illegal as well. If not, just do gambling routines... and the old fashion 3 Card Monte.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2011-05-20 21:26, Woland wrote:
If your government decided to make magic illegal, would you still study it? Teach it? Discuss it? Perform it?

You mean bring back the Inquisition? Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Not exactly, George, but there are countries today where mentalists have been sentenced to death for sorcery.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Whatever happened to that guy?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'll have to look it up. There was some question in my mind whether he was actually in custody or had been sentenced in absentia.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Would you still study magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL