The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Funny reaction!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
I wish all my spectators would react like this! Smile
kiki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0w5k9Ct7e4&feature=related
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
Freaking americans.xD
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 15:01, mattmagic149 wrote:
Freaking americans.xD

?
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
TheStoner
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of TheStoner
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 15:22, ralphs007 wrote:
Quote:
Freaking americans.xD

?

!
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
Quote:
Freaking americans.xD

I’ve performed magic in Greece, Italy, Germany, France, Austria, Holland, England, as well as in the States and the reactions from spectators is almost identical in every country. People love magic, and the only issues I’ve run into are with certain religious beliefs. Magic breaks the “social ice” with nearly everyone. A closed mind to nationality, race, etc… will get you now where…
Sometimes reactions to my effects are met with lots of cheers, wows, screams, and the sort; whilst at other times, people are just too astonished to even react.
Yes I love the crazy reactions of people jumping all around, and acting silly. I also love the reactions from people that reveal pure shock. One of my favorites is when spectators scratch their head, look around and say “that’s impossible,” and the rest of the specs say “but he just did it.”
David Blaine touches base on how to guide your audiences’ reactions in one of his books. If you want to guide the momentum of an audience reaction, I recommend practice practice practice practice. The more you know how to read that millisecond of reactions after your reveal the better you can milk the reactions. I often use body language to squeeze out the reactions from specs that are just on the cusp of exploding with emotion. It’s ok to say things like, “wow,” “that’s crazy isn’t it,” “what the,” … and so on… I’ve found that the timing of saying these types of things is critical, so wait and be aware of your surroundings. It’s your responsibility as a magician to manage the audience, and managing the reactions is just as important.
Here is a little suggestion I’d like to make: Use the reactions of a group to influence the reactions of another. If you get an audience pumped up, and reacting with great energy look around for the eye contact of groups close by. Look for the curious ones in the adjacent groups not presently in on the current performance. Go straight over to the ones that were looking at you from afar, and use them as a foot in the door of your next performance.
A final note here, after I hand out my business card I often ask people if they’ll remember my name… I’ll say, “please tell your friends about me” and as I walk away I’ll say, “what’s my name” and people shout ROMAN… It brings the energy up in a room, and lets people know you are worth watching.
I’m curious to hear what my fellow magicians have to say about how they work their spectators’ reactions.

Roman
mattmagic149
View Profile
Loyal user
Austria
215 Posts

Profile of mattmagic149
That wasn't meant as criticism.
But my experience showed me that the Americans react much "harder" and more enthusiatic than the middle European citizen. And there is absolutely nothing bad about this. Of corse every American will react differently but IMHO (and also many others share my opinion) the Americans react much more enthusiastic.
Practicing is like a bank, if you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I would add that when you put people on camera there's a tendency to go overboard.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
MoTown,
I agree with MoTown, when I've had a camera crew around people do act out. That’s all the more fun for working the crowd. At first I was nervous as to what the camera may see (possibly me flashing something), but I’ve learned to use the camera as a shield of sorts or to use my audience control by treating the camera like they are the most important spec. I’ll do things like ask a spectator (after a reveal) to show the people at home, and show “them” as I point to the camera lens.
Roman
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 12:01, KiKi wrote:
I wish all my spectators would react like this! Smile
kiki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0w5k9Ct7e4&feature=related

Looks like a pretty standard reaction.;-)
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Was it just a set up for TV? Over reaction to make it interesting?
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Funny reaction!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL