The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cutting a Slot in Aluminum Tubing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Chance, I wouldn't recommend it either for the average Joe. I was responding to earlier posts that stated it was easy or made incredibly unsafe recommendations. It wasn't intended for an experienced worker like you. My intent was to explain what was actually involved and what tools and accessories were required to do the cut. You are absolutely correct in suggesting he farm it out.
Best!
Craig
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Yeah, I got your intent! I was glad you had the patience to write up the entire process Smile
I am always learning and enjoy hearing and learning from other pros.
Much appreciated.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Chance and Craig:

Thank you for your great words. I would also recommend farming this out. I am not great with power tools anyways, so I would likely end up cutting off some crucial piece of personal "equipment".
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
David P
View Profile
New user
Boston via Michigan
82 Posts

Profile of David P
There might be a problem once you have successfully made your slot.I have worked metals all my life and have noticed with some metal tubing and pipe that once you have made your cut, stresses are relieved and the diameter expands/folds outwards. Should this happen, you would have the correct diameter at each end, but larger diameter towards the center of the length of your tube. You could probably correct by tapping with a rubber mallet, while supporting the tubing on a piece of wood. Something to consider. It will depend on your aluminum tubing.
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
When cutting aluminum on a table saw we use a “KOOL MIST” spray system to lubricate the blade. The spray nozzle has a convenient magnetic base that we attach under the table saw to continually lubricate and cool the blade. It works great and allows the blade to make extremely smooth cuts.
http://www.koolmist.com/
chleby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of chleby
If you're good with a grinder you could attach a cutting wheel and do it that way. We have used this method on several of our projects.
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry MAGIC SHOW Times Scare NYC
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry Spring 2011
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
Craig Dickens has a working method for the home shop. I have used this many times to cut aluminum blades etc. I cant over encourage the safety portion and can only add one thing. load the blade with parafin wax as a lubricant and to keep the metal from building up on the teeth. check often.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Cutting a Slot in Aluminum Tubing (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL