The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Weight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Band, Easy Rider, what's there not to like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmSDyBXRKc
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The Band is a fine example of Canada-US cooperation.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Love the music, especially love the lyrics. "He just grinned and shook my hand. NO was all he said."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I love The Band.

I haven't seen Easy Rider in some time but last week I met some friends who had just come from seeing it for the first time. And they were like "WTF was that?" They were totally dismayed and could not understand why it's considered a classic. I thought maybe it's only considered groundbreaking, and classic, relative to it's time.

Has anyone seen it lately, especially for the first time? Does it hold up, or is it hokey by todays standards?

The "Weight", as well as pretty much all The Bands music, definately holds up in my opinion.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 14:33, Marlin1894 wrote:

I haven't seen Easy Rider in some time but last week I met some friends who had just come from seeing it for the first time. And they were like "WTF was that?" They were totally dismayed and could not understand why it's considered a classic. I thought maybe it's only considered groundbreaking, and classic, relative to it's time.

Has anyone seen it lately, especially for the first time? Does it hold up, or is it hokey by todays standards?

I saw it for the first time within the last year. I enjoyed it, and the plot was not at all what I had expected going in (which was a good thing).

I have no strong opinion on the matter, but I think you are correct in that it is groundbreaking, and classic, relative to it's time. That is was so groundbreaking and influential then is precisely why it seems less so today.

About your friends though ... maybe they just don't appreciate certain styles of movies?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2443 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
EASY RIDER was a landmark movie but it is embarrassingly pretentious today.

Among the members of The Band, Robbie Robertson was wonderful in the movie CARNY and is currently doing a lot of fine Native-American-influenced music.

Levon Helm is even more awesome today - his 2007 album (and lengthy 'making of the album' film) DIRT FARMER and the current RAMBLE AT THE RYMAN knock me over. ELECTRIC DIRT won a 'best album' Grammy in the American Music category. He shows up as the ghost of a Confederate general in the film INTO THE ELECTRIC MIST (I know, awful title) and he pulls the whole film together.

Haven't kept track of Rick Danko - downloaded a few tracks today, anxious to hear them. Rick Danko's dead, sorry to say.

I never saw such a good example of 'if they're not cranking out idiotic hits, nobody knows about 'em" - these guys deserve to be major stars today.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
About your friends though ... maybe they just don't appreciate certain styles of movies?

I'm sure that's part of it. They were also under the impression for some reason that Nicholson had given one of his all time great performances. I never felt that way about "Easy Rider" and I told them I don't believe most people consider it one of his great performances. Certainly not on the level of "Cuckoos Nest" or "Five Easy Pieces" etc. In fact, I think his part was largely ad-libbed. So that was another reason they were a little dissappointed.
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Originally, the song, as done by "The Band", was featured in the film. The initial release of the soundtrack had "The Weight" recorded by a band called "Smith", due to a contractual problem with "The Band"'s record company.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 15:09, rossmacrae wrote:
Levon Helm is even more awesome today - his 2007 album (and lengthy 'making of the album' film) DIRT FARMER and the current RAMBLE AT THE RYMAN knock me over. ELECTRIC DIRT won a 'best album' Grammy in the American Music category. He shows up as the ghost of a Confederate general in the film INTO THE ELECTRIC MIST (I know, awful title) and he pulls the whole film together.

Levon also did an episode of "Great Drives" which appeared on PBS several years ago. His episode was about Highway 61. It was excellent.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The weight is also in the big chill. Levon Helm was also in the right stuff, I think.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
This thread makes me want to watch "The Last Waltz" again.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It makes me want to listen to Elton John's "Levon."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Hello.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Weight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL