The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » FISM and Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist
Why is there soo many manipulation acts in FISM and not that much mentalism acts?

&

What are other competitions similar to FISM?

- Johnny
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Here are some of the major problems and why I would never consider entering such a competition:

Language barrier.

Limited performance time permitted.

Judges not familiar with techniques of mentalism. (Sartori, for example, was once denied the mentalism award because the judges thought he was using electronics to accomplish his contact mindreading sequence. He wasn't.)

Inherent difficulty in performing mentalism before magicians where it is virtually impossible to create the same suspension of disbelief obtainable with a lay audience.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Because FISM is for magicians.

We are in sync Bob, right ?
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-23 23:33, Amirá wrote:
Because FISM is for magicians.

We are in sync Bob, right ?

Oh yeah. That too! (That's what I meant by my last point above.)

We're in sync.

Bob
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

So do you guys think it's impossible for a Mentalist to win FISM?

What competition do you think mentalists have a chance?

- Johnny
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
I really doubt that any competition will give you more personal pleasure than real performances.
Participants and audiences really appreciate in an unawareness way all the work behind each performance. All the subtle ideas that we as a mentalists use are invisible, nonetheless appreciable at the end result of any demonstration.
The "thanks" or "that's great" or "how did you know that" is more pleasant for me than a trophy or medallion from a competition ( well, If it was a Koran´s Medallion...).

As Bob saids, in "magic competitions" they are finding differents competences.

Maybe there´s a "Performers" competition out there that could be valid for a mentalism, I don't know really.
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

There is an award specifically for mentalism at FISM. It just isn't given every year if the judges don't think anyone deserves it.

I personally don't view mentalism as being particularly suited for ANY sort of competition. In my opinion it diminishes the art.

Good thoughts,

Bob
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-23 23:45, mastermindreader wrote:
There is an award specifically for mentalism at FISM. It just isn't given every year if the judges don't think anyone deserves it.

I personally don't view mentalism as being particularly suited for ANY sort of competition. In my opinion it diminishes the art.

Good thoughts,

Bob

I definitely agree, like the incident called NBC's Phenomenon. I don't know why uri gellar (a self proclaimed "A Real Magneto") and criss angel (A stage magician) was picked to be judges but at least someone put an effort to put up a Mentalism competition. However, I don't think all competition will diminish the art of mentalism. Competitions are suppose to be fun and a great experience for the modern mentalists to see where they are and where they are going.

Just my thoughts.

- Johnny
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 23:58, Psychological Mind Reading Illusionist wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-23 23:45, mastermindreader wrote:

Good thoughts,

Bob

I definitely agree, like the incident called NBC's Phenomenon. I don't know why uri gellar (a self proclaimed "A Real Magneto") and criss angel (A stage magician) was picked to be judges but at least someone put an effort to put up a Mentalism competition. However, I don't think all competition will diminish the art of mentalism. Competitions are suppose to be fun and a great experience for the modern mentalists to see where they are and where they are going.

Just my thoughts.

- Johnny

I agree with Bob in this argument.

Art is subjective , cant be put in a balance such as other human´s activities for quantity value.

My performance can be "better" in some parts from a few ones, others can see my performance and dislike them. Is art.
Art cant be qualified IMO and putting Mentalism into a competition puts the performance in a lower level. We need to create the sensation that all our performance is real.

I agree with you that can be fun, as a matter of fact I participant last year in this " X has talent" competition here in my country "just for fun", but I realize one more time that art cant be judged.
Pablo
Performer and Author

www.mentalismcenter.com

www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » FISM and Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL