The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The OOTW That Fooled Paul Curry (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
In 1996, ten years before his death, the late Dennis Marks released to the magic and mentalist communities his closely guarded creation “The Invisible Eye.” It is a versatile utility gimmick highly praised by both mentalists and card magicians, the “Invisible Eye” enables you to perform a variety of otherwise impossible effects including Paul Curry’s classic “Out Of This World” using a BORROWED DECK AFTER IT HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY SHUFFLED BY A SPECTATOR. When Dennis performed it at the Magic Castle — and amazed Curry himself — Curry gave him permission to call it “the trick that fooled Paul Curry.”

With the passing first of Dennis in 2006 and then of Neil "Cards by Martin Lester" (who manufactured it under license from Dennis) in 2009, the gimmick became unavailable. As one of the early owners and long time users of “the eye” I was able to track down the heir to Dennis' estate and have recently concluded the purchase of exclusive ownership and all rights to The Invisible Eye and associated instructions, including its manufacture and sales. I have made only a minor modification to its construction and have reprinted Dennis' original instruction booklet with some added commentary and historical information and am pleased to announce that Dennis Marks' "Invisible Eye" is once again available to the magic and mentalist community. I personally make each gimmick by hand. The cost of the gimmick and updated instruction booklet (you provide your own deck of cards) is only $45 postpaid in the US and Canada (just $5 more than it cost when introduced in 1996) -- add $3 for overseas. Payment via PayPal to gr8magik@aol.com or by check or money order to:

Dick Christian
8612 Beaver Pond Lane
Fairfax Station, Virginia 22039-2702
USA

Orders are normally mailed within 48 hours of receipt of payment.

If you REALLY want to blow someone's mind, I can provide a new SEALED (seal and cellophane wrapper intact) deck of cards with the Invisible Eye pre-installed for $65. Please specify red or blue standard poker size Bicycle or Bee deck and allow up to 2-3 weeks for delivery.

In order to maintain at least some degree of exclusivity, the Invisible Eye will NOT be wholesaled to dealers, but will only be available directly from me.

Send a PM if you have any questions or need additional information.

For those not familiar with the "Invisible Eye," it is a powerful utility gimmick the uses of which are limited only by one's imagination. Just one of the many miracles possible -- and the one that "fooled Paul Curry" when Dennis Marks performed it for him -- is the ability to do Curry's own classic "Out Of This World," impromptu, with ANY borrowed and shuffled (by the spectator) deck of cards with no sleights, "moves" or manipulation required. Other possibilities include design duplication, effects with ESP or Tarot Cards, Runes, etc.

Bob Cassidy and numerous past and current members of the P.E.A. have owned and used "the Eye" and can attest to it's quality and usefulness.
Dick Christian
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Question: is the effect still OOTW if the performer does the dealing as opposed to the spectator? This is what happens when the "Invisible Eye" is in use.

Gianni
poonchingyip
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
420 Posts

Profile of poonchingyip
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 20:00, Gianni wrote:
Question: is the effect still OOTW if the performer does the dealing as opposed to the spectator? This is what happens when the "Invisible Eye" is in use.

Gianni

I leanred my first version of OOTW from Penguin Magic, and the cards are deal by the peformer.

- Arthur
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 20:00, Gianni wrote:

Gianni

The distinguishing feature of Out of this World is not who does the dealing, but who makes the decisions. If the spectator isn’t the one deciding which card goes where, it isn’t Out of this World.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
912 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Is the "Invisible Eye" pretty much the same thing as the "Card Swami" sold by Chazpro a while ago?
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-05-31 21:48, Dr. JK wrote:
Is the "Invisible Eye" pretty much the same thing as the "Card Swami" sold by Chazpro a while ago?

Dr. JK,

I am not familiar with the "Card Swami." If you send me a PM describing what it is and how it is used I'll be happy to answer your question.

As re: who does the dealing and/or decides which cards are red ad which are black, it is true that in Paul Curry's original OOTW -- except for a brief demonstration using only a few cards -- the dealing and decisions are all done by the spectator. When using the "Invisible Eye" the dealing and decisions are done by the performer. What makes the use of the "Eye" so strong is that with it the performer is able to unerringly separate the red and black cards using a borrowed deck which has been shuffled by a spectator. THAT is the effect that fooled Paul Curry!

Keep in mind that OOTW is only one of the many effects possible with the "Invisible Eye."
Dick Christian
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1197 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 20:29, Count Lustig wrote:
The distinguishing feature of Out of this World is not who does the dealing, but who makes the decisions. If the spectator isn’t the one deciding which card goes where, it isn’t Out of this World.

I agree 100%.
If the spectator doesn't make the decisions, it isn't a OOTW.
One had to call it "The trick that fooled Paul Curry" and not "The OOTW that fooled Paul Curry"
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Since it's creation by Paul Curry OOTW, like other now "classic" effects with playing cards, has evolved to include numerous variations in handling and methodology (as noted above by poonchingyip). With that in mind, let me quote from Dennis Marks' original flyer describing the "Invisible Eye" that accompanied his original instructions:

"When I revealed The Invisible Eye to Mr. Curry he gave me permission on the spot to market the effect as: THE 'OUT OF THIS WORLD' THAT FOOLED PAUL CURRY."

If that description was good enough for Paul Curry it was good enough for Dennis Marks and it is good enough for me -- and should be good enough for Count Lustig, Waterloophai and anyone else. Accordingly, just as Dennis Marks did, I will continue to use it in promoting the "Invisible Eye."
Dick Christian
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
If the magician is just "blindly" sorting the cards into red and black, that's not what I would call OOTW.
Of course you could easily turn it into it by just "blindly" pulling the cards out, and then having the spectator decide where the cards go.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mr. Christian was ( still is ) a kind, brilliant man and is missed.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well now I feel sad.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2703 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Definitely a great mind that we no longer have access to. anyone know if his family producing these? or if anyone has taken over?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
Does any one have a Invisible Eye for sale?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » The OOTW That Fooled Paul Curry (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL