The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First time wedding show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GarethLeeMorgan
Hello All

I haven't posted much and the last time was many a month ago. As I dabble in hypnosis and now a little bit of magic I have been asked to entertain the guests at my brother’s wedding as if being best man wasn't hard enough. It started out that I would go around the tables performing hypnosis and magic then word got around that I would be putting on a show, no idea how that happened but hey, why the hell not. For those I haven’t spoken to on here before, from my first post I was a complete newbie, now I pretty much live and breathe hypnosis although I've learnt many techniques and theories behind it I still haven't got past using friends and then their friends as subjects. I am also 2 months away from certifying as a hypnotherapist.

Anyway, once I have been around the tables and just before the show I will get everyone doing the set pieces and hopefully by then I should know who will potentially be a good subject. My dilemma is what I do with them once they are hypnotised, I tend to just stick people to things, amnesia, name change, catalepsy, laughter, hallucinations and walking on the moon. Can anyone offer any suggestions as what might go down well at a wedding, all in good humour, nothing that will humiliate anyone. I know it will be a good crowd and they will be up for a laugh but don't want to push the boundaries. Looking to get some good laughs from the subjects and the audience.

Please take note that I’m not actually a performer, I am not being paid for this, just providing some entertainment for my brother.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh and it will most likely be a 4 or 5 chair show, last 10 - 15 minutes once hypnotised.

Thanks

GLM
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
It´ll probably last well over 10 to 15 minutes if you manage to get 3 or 4 people hypnotized.
Shows I´ve seen have included these skits: (don´t judge me on them, I didn´t perform them).

* it´s cold, very cold, subjects cuddle up to each other (specify no inappropriate touching).
* it´s hot, people loosening ties, etc etc...
* they are uncomfortable in their chairs, and want to change places
* the person beside you just farted and it smells really bad
* they are the hypnotist, you are a fraud and they should let people know how crap you are, whilst explaining their extensive experience as a hypnotist
* their boyfriend/girlfriend becomes brad pitt / cindy crawford etc etc....
* they become compulsive liars, when asked any question they will tell whopping great lies, the more outlandish and unbelievable the better.

These skits alone can be milked for at least half an hour if not longer.... you throw in a few jokes, questions etc..

I don´t think you need to do the pretests when you´re doing the rounds of the tables though, if done in a bigger group you may find that more people become more suggestable based on their observations of other peoples reactions? Plus you only need to do one pretalk if you do the whole thing "show-style".
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Be careful with the extensive liar/truther (for lack of a better term), you don't want to get too deep into their personal thoughts with this.

Good luck,
Jordan
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well if they are lying then it shouldn't matter what they say as it will be a lie and/or seen as nothing but a lie by the audience. The bigger the better.
Certainly could be a problem if you suggest they tell the truth as no matter what they say, the audience will believe it to be the truth.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
During the fibbing phase you can of course extract the truth by asking a closed question.

You can also steal during this phase. 'Are they your car keys?'. 'Do you mind if I take them?'.

My advice Gareth is pre-qualify if you have that luxury. If not use your favorite lock on as many of the crowd as want to volunteer. Get them up, rapid induction adn bang straight into some group routines. Physical, emotional, mental and hallucinations being my preferred route through possible routines.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
GarethLeeMorgan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of GarethLeeMorgan
Cheers for the advice guys, not sure how to take the very first comment, I'm just taking the opportunity to have some fun, I'm not putting on a large stage show. It seems I may be judging the timing incorrectly. The 10-15mins was purely a guess as I was planning on getting on it straight away as if in a bar. Owen - thanks for list of suggestions. Ant - that's the kind of thing I was thinking, nice one and I'll see you tomorrow.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 14:13, GarethLeeMorgan wrote:
...not sure how to take the very first comment,...

You have been looked down upon by one of our self-elected experts.

Congratulations! You must be doing something right! You are not anyone until one of them has told you that you are a nobody. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 17:34, Shrubsole wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-25 14:13, GarethLeeMorgan wrote:
...not sure how to take the very first comment,...

You have been looked down upon by one of our self-elected experts.

Congratulations! You must be doing something right! You are not anyone until one of them has told you that you are a nobody. Smile

God you can be an arrogant little nit. Too bad it is based on bravado and not experience.

I simply was wondering if he was serious, because it was a situation I have never even heard of anyone being in. I mean being an inexperienced performer and trying to do a 15 minute show and such. I asked if he was serious, because it could very well have been a joke.

Yea one of our self proclaimed experts with 25+ years experience and doing about 5 shows a week. I freely admit I do not walk up to strangers and try to hypnotise them like you do so my experience in those ways are quite limited. But I at least admit it. You have absolutely no experience in doing shows, probably of any sort from most of your posts, and yet you freely dispense advice as if you have.

So please put it away and lets not turn this into your little crusade for people to take you seriously. I asked him a question, a valid one and you whip it out to see who will measure with you. Please for one thread just keep it in your pants and try to act like the adult you claim to be.

(Notice how I didn't say "ambush" them, but instead I said "walk up to strangers and try to hypnotise them". Please do not paint me with the same brush you try to with everyone who disagrees with you. It is fairly pathetic.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9684 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
...and nobody can see what is happening with this guy and his "set pieces"? You know you are in trouble if Shrubs is defending you. Poor guy...

A great example of the lack of respect of hypnosis not to mention the guests/audience.

Have you ever gone to see a hypnotist perform or a hypnotist show and then find someone is not a hypnotist? Stay tuned...
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I for one would like to see it for all the wrong reasons. But to use some ones wedding as a practice ground seems .......I don't know I guess we all have different values. The best advice Ive seen so far is "steal someone's keys".

This is just too funny.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Ah the 3 stooges all turn up at once! How cute!

Safer for everyone to have them all together as you know where they are!

The insults, boasting and trying to turn in back on me are all there and then the never to call me the arrogant one! Smile

What fragile little egos they have.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You still haven't told us how you make money and get bookings from doing free shows for resaurants and in the street. Or the breakthrough routines you say you do. Most people on here think you are a liar as well as an idiot. Can you put them right?

These aren't insults they are blatant obvious truths. Anyone on here who listens to you is in a bad way. It appears that you are quite a mature age but you sound like a 12 year old... very odd combination and a very odd person.

And by the way Gareth good luck with the Wedding..
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9684 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Let him keep going. I find this funny as hell a every time he opens his mouth and says anything it shows ignorance and continues to prove and discredit the type of so-called street hypnosis he trying to defend. I was recently on another board who has been referencing him and his buddies and their posts here as to what's wrong with hypnosis and as the basis for what not to do to further the advancement and preservation of the art of performance hypnosis.

You're right MP he's not answering these basic questions that you, Danny and dmcraig and others have asked because he can't. The most hilarious part besides his name calling, is the obvious lack of true skill and experience and the idea that he is trying to give advice here. Lately even his own compadres have dropped off and are not defending him.

As far as the wedding goes this is a terrible idea for so many reasons, the first and primary reason is that it is the Bride and Groom's special day - all of the focus and attention should be on them and their families. This is one of life's special moments. Guests come to share in their day to enjoy, converse and honor the special couple. Not to have to worry about being approached, bothered and ambushed (I will still say it because that's still exactly what it is) by some wannabe entertainer. This is not the appropriate venue for proper hypnosis for many reasons that most with performance experience will understand. You must remember many people are put off even by a strolling magician let alone someone trying to do hypnosis. It is not a place for you to"try some hypnosis" or "to gain some experience".

I have performed at many weddings but under the proper terms and conditions. Even then the performance environment and conditions are not the best for hypnosis and only a seasoned pro could truly pull it off, and meet expectations.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 06:47, Mindpro wrote:
Let him keep going. I find this funny as hell a every time he opens his mouth and says anything it shows ignorance and continues to prove and discredit the type of so-called street hypnosis he trying to defend. I was recently on another board who has been referencing him and his buddies and their posts here as to what's wrong with hypnosis and as the basis for what not to do to further the advancement and preservation of the art of performance hypnosis.

You're right MP he's not answering these basic questions that you, Danny and dmcraig and others have asked because he can't. The most hilarious part besides his name calling, is the obvious lack of true skill and experience and the idea that he is trying to give advice here. Lately even his own compadres have dropped off and are not defending him.

As far as the wedding goes this is a terrible idea for so many reasons, the first and primary reason is that it is the Bride and Groom's special day - all of the focus and attention should be on them and their families. This is one of life's special moments. Guests come to share in their day to enjoy, converse and honor the special couple. Not to have to worry about being approached, bothered and ambushed (I will still say it because that's still exactly what it is) by some wannabe entertainer. This is not the appropriate venue for proper hypnosis for many reasons that most with performance experience will understand. You must remember many people are put off even by a strolling magician let alone someone trying to do hypnosis. It is not a place for you to"try some hypnosis" or "to gain some experience".

I have performed at many weddings but under the proper terms and conditions. Even then the performance environment and conditions are not the best for hypnosis and only a seasoned pro could truly pull it off, and meet expectations.

Now that I think about it, Mindpro has some very valid points there. A demonstration of hypnosis at your table because someone was interested is quite different from doing a "mini-show" with a large group of people who have come to a wedding, as opposed to people knowing in advance they are going to a hypnosis show. I made this kind of mistake not so long ago by attempting to do a show at a comedy night.

From the experience I´d had with willing volunteers before, I knew I´d have a decent amount of subjects if I had an audience of over 100 people, I "knew" I´d be able to pull it off. What I didn´t think about was that the people had come to listen to the comedians and the hypnosis afterwards was something that was kind of sprung on them as a suprise. I learned a lot that night Smile

(Although you might get lucky and have an audience that is interested and open minded)
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-26 04:42, Shrubsole wrote:
Ah the 3 stooges all turn up at once! How cute!

Safer for everyone to have them all together as you know where they are!

The insults, boasting and trying to turn in back on me are all there and then the never to call me the arrogant one! Smile

What fragile little egos they have.

I for one am back to ambush hypnotist. Mind you when I use this term I am only talking about you, not Ant, or hypnokid, but you spacifically. Why? Because I believe you have not even reached that level yet. You are all talk. I would be shocked if you EVER actually hypnotised anyone. You would have a better shot at hitting someone in the head with a hammer than hypnosis.

You never address any part of any post that is informative. Ant and hypnokid do. I may not enjoy the type of thing they choose to do, but I can respect them as people. Not you. You act like a child.

I am probably done addressing your posts in general as you seem more of a troll than anything. But when you say something just dumb enough I am sure I won't be able to help myself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9684 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Well stated Owen. As you have found hypnosis can be amazing, draw huge audiences, can be a headlining feature attraction, financially lucrative, and be quite successful when presented properly, or hypnosis can be a threatening, unwelcome, dangerous, intrusive nuisance with completely opposite results and expectations.

I guess after Danny has pointed it out I too should should state that I too have no problem with Anthony and actually think he's talented. My problem is more with his followers and the seemingly overall mentality of these street guys. I do think that Ant is is their driving force and well-respected resource so I think Ant also has the ability and position to create and the proper mindset, understanding and position as he teaches and presents this area of the business. I for one would like him to take his status to teach respect and credibility for performance hypnosis, the plight of hypnosis as a legitimate performance art and self-empowerment ability and resource, respect and a better understanding for those that have come before them, as well as for the science and overall advancement of hypnosis and performance hypnosis.

The bothersome part overall is the arrogance that seems to exist when they bond together. It is unwarranted and a misrepresentation of hypnosis. Also a reality check that just because they can do some basic suggestibility tests and receive some minor physical reactions (which admittedly in the very beginning can be cool and very encouraging) in no way makes them a hypnotist. Also the ideas of proper training, safety (I know Anthony does address this), the responsible practice and application, and some type of business perspective could also be warranted.

It seems to be that there should be a sloooow dowwwwn message that is offered to these young guys that want to jump right in, thrust people "under their power" to do really cool things that they've seen on youtube. The reality is we've all wanted to get to the good stuff but we immediately learned that is not the process. We were also taught almost immediately to be aware of and not to ever fall into the "being God-like syndrome" of the "power" and ability. We were taught to be humble and confident.

It has been good to watch some of these guys like Owen and a few others grow and evolve from wide-eyed eager newbies into seriously trying to learn, understand and progress with a true understanding of hypnosis. They are still in that process. It's the problem child(s) like Shrubs that of course create a bad reputation for the entire group, a message we were also taught from the beginning as a whole we were only as good and accepted and our least common element/person. As with everything else experience prevails. Those that take the time to understand this get it, others never will.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19873 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My lord over the past 5 or 6 years we have had a deluge of the kids who come in and want to change the world of hypnosis. Mind you none has succeded but they all had the bravado and the bs and the name calling and what not. Most make very good clerks at Wal-Mart. Heck we have even had our share of adults, or I guess older folks who have tried the same thing. One of the biggest trouble makers on either side is almost 70!

The street guys want respect, without having to earn it. It is the old joke at the magic shop. "I have an invisible deck, a thumb tip, and a business card, now I am a professional magician." Well sorry but whine and scream and stomp your feet and throw all the fist you want, it takes more than a suggestability test, and a few basic physical demos to be a hypnotist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Gareth is a very good friend of mine, a member of Adam Eason's hypnotherapy school and a very studious Hypnotherapist. He has been INVITED to perform a short piece at a friends wedding and has come on here to ask for practical advice. Most of you have slapped him in the face as if he were a wayward child. He is a thoughtful and ethical person who wants some ideas on what he could integrate. Either give some ideas or shut up. We all get that some on here don't like anythig that appears different to their classic stage approach.. We don't need to see it in every thread.

Try having at least a modicum of respect for other performers, especially when you know little or nothing about them.

James Brown
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hi Gareth,
First of all if someone not too experienced and I didn't know them had posted what you had posted I'd advise them NOT to do it.
For me it has all the potential pit falls that should be avoided.
1) it's a wedding
2) you're the best man
3) many people will NOT want to even see hypnosis (the majority normally don't by definition of lack of audiences here in the UK)
4)Weddings are difficult in as much as there are certain segments that happen at certain times and I see a difficulty in that particular point in time where you say in your post that: 'after you've been round the tables and just before the show you'll get them to do the set pieces'. It is here where it could become problematic, even for an experienced entertainer with trained audience skills.

However, here's the good news. You're not a stranger to me. We have met and talked several times and I am more than a little confident in both your attitude and your skills which by now will be even greater. than since last we met.
You can actually USE the fact that you're the best man to get attention for your table hopping which I'm sure they will love (please do use lots of comedy). While they think you're doing magic in reality you will be using a full blown pre-talk to let them know of the great fun that awaits them and more importantly check out who your best volunteers are going to be. Personally I use pseudo hypno stuff at this point, lets say coin bending where I watch people going into hypnosis without me even trying. It's kinda' like printing your own money, so do enjoy this lovely bonus. If they don't GO you still do the effect but if they do GO....
One caveat here; if they DO go into hypnosis do NOT spend a lot of time there (you would if you were NOT doing hypnosis later of course). This is NOT a hypnosis show at this time remember, but they will be one of your stars later.
For me personally, I would address the audience AFTER the table hopping and tell them that I'd been asked whilst going round the tables,by many people, about 'what exactly hypnosis is (whether you were asked or not!)'. You are now managing your audience, giving reasons why you say what you say and why you are about to do what you are about to do (well done!).
"Tell you what, let's ALL have a bit of fun, where NOBODY will get embarrassed yet we can ALL have an afternoon we will never ever forget. Are you up for this (suggestability tests)?"
Without insulting you or anyone else's intelligence you will know that if done properly and you've pre-talked the tables well this will now be a foregone conclusion. AND you already have Tom Dick Harry Lorraine and Sally ready to party. Whether they know it or not (wink).
But, ALL you're about to do at this time is to allow the audience to have some fun finding out just how wonderful their minds are, unless of course you decide to call to stage there and then. I think it's one you feel on the day. This is what I talked of earlier. How are we doing for time? Are there 10 people ready to go now? Because if there are maybe I shouldn't be milking this because; remember uncle Arthur wants to sing and auntie Mary wants to play her accordion (you're probably wondering round about now how I know all these people!).
And I'm sure this doesn't really need saying, but for anyone else reading this; don't be an arsehole. If you say nobody will be embarrassed and you embarrass someone you will have blown a fantastic day. There's a lot of weight on your shoulders. You haven't been asked to do a French drop with a penny at a side table.You're responsible for the day they all truly will remember for the rest of their lives. Think what you'd like them to say about you and the day over the next 20 years or more!
Oh, and have fun Gareth!
Regards,
Bob
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » First time wedding show. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL