The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many of these "most famous" scientists have you heard of? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Familiar with all in the top 25 except Oliver Lodge, Karl Pearson, James Jeans, and Ray Lankester.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Rather a comical metric: They count instances of the names in books. And how odd that two philosophers--Russell and Whitehead--a mathematician--Pearson--and a science fiction writer--Asimov--made the top 25.

And is it just me or is the list a tad Anglo-American?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Asimov had a PhD in biochemistry and was a science consultant for World Book Encyclopedia. Now if they'd picked Harlan Ellison or Spider Robinson, I could see your complaint.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, Magnus, since the method is to count the frequency of the names in English-language books, the preponderance of English & American names is not surprising. You do have Bernard, Bohr, Planck, Pasteur, Curie, Koch, and Weizmann - although Weizmann had a post at Manchester. The omission of real scientific heavyweights such as Helmholtz, Virchow, Nernst, Schroedinger, Golgi, Metchnikoff, Ehrlich, Mendeleev, Maxwell, De Broglie, Dirac, etc. is indeed surprising.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Woland-

Actually, there are 4,169 names on the list provided at the link. All of the ones you've mention, with the exception of Metchnikoff and Dirac are, in fact on the list. (No, I didn't go through the whole thing, but there is a search function at the top of the list and you can also view the list broken down into various categories.)

Bob
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Skimming the first page most look familiar. I even remember what some of them did! Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Bob - I only looked at the Top 25.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Also the list was compiled by the frequency in which the scientist's name appeared on the cover of a scientific book. Asimov was very prolific and a lot of his output was of a fact-based scientific nature as well as "science fiction." (He admits a little embarrassment that one of his books was a manual on how to use a slide rule, published just about the time calculators were becoming the vogue and slide rules were on the way out!)

No. If scientific based books written (or compiled/edited) by the scientist was the basis of the list, then Asimov belongs here, right where he is!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lewis Carroll in the top 10? I'm a fan, but even if you count his contributions to Mathematics and Logic, that's quite a stretch. And Maxwell doesn't show up until the 90s? This is really bizarre.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, landmark, it's based on the frequency of their names appearing in English-language books, I think, not based on an assessment of their actual contributions.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1869 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I only know 47, and only two are well known magicians.
One of the last living 1-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many of these "most famous" scientists have you heard of? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.6 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL