The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Edward Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just saw John Edward on the Wayne Brady Show this morning. I've never seen him before, so excuse me if my comments have been made before.

Overall, I was pretty impressed by him. His audience management is excellent, and he puts a lot of thought into preparing the audience for the cold reading and hot reading tidbits he throws out.

I think there is a lot to be learned from watching him. First of all, way before he does any reading, he "chats" with Wayne Brady about his "gift." A few of his favorite lines that prepare the audience are as follows:

• All I do is pay attention to what's around us all the time. I just trained myself to look harder than most people.

• They (the spirits, that is) are always 100% accurate. I'm not. If I fail, it's my fault in interpreting what they have to say. But they're accurate.

• I was a skeptic too until i met a real psychic.

• What I do isn't so strange. I'll bet even some of you have had dreams of loved ones who have passed on. That's kind of what I do.

• It's amazing how people have psychic amnesia about the events in their lives. I'll tell someone something about their lives and then they'll say no it isn't true. I'll insist it is true, arguing with a complete stranger about their lives. A week later I'll get a phone call or email from the person telling me thay suddenly remembered something about their past, and it was what I had told them.

After he's set up the audience this way, he goes into his readings. He picks on an audience member, but then says he may be getting energy from the people sitting next to the audience member. He talks really fast and throws out stuff like "I'm sensing a lady who had a stroke." He goes on with her for a little while and as soon as he misses, he ignores her, telling her to sit down, and asks if anyone else responded to his prediction. He tells one woman that her husband and son have had an on-again, off-again relationship. Another woman he congraulates on a pregnancy or child or life changing celebration. He doesn't wait for a confirmation before he moves on. A few times he gets a more specific hit, like a son who was shot (although he had to fish to see if it was the husband or son who was shot). He hit on a mother who had cancer. He told one woman he was getting the name Carol. No response. Carol or Carl. No response. Carol, Carl, Cookie. No response. Cookie, some kind of name or nickname with two k sounds. Spectator says maybe Sticky? No says Edward and moves on. He ends sensing that the audience member he has standing has an involvement with stripping. When she laughs no, he says, not necessarily professionally. I sense a boa, the kind that you would use in a strip act. When the audience member denies this, he says I sense a photo of you with a boa around your neck. The spectator screams Yes, and he ends his reading there.

He's very quick, very personable, and it's easy to see why he's such a success. No center tears, no clipboards, it's just him and it appears to the audience that he's working without a net. It looks very pure.

I know there have been countless threads here about the ethics of the kind of show psychics like Edward do. I really don't want to get into that again in this thread. But maybe we can analyze his work and see what can help us make our own work stronger.

landmark
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
What politicians do for publicity.

I'm surprised presidential candidate, John Edwards, would stoop so low to capitalize on the popularity of a psychic medium with a similar name: John Edward (without the 's').

Smile

jr

Quote:
he puts a lot of thought into preparing the audience for the cold reading and hot reading tidbits he throws out.

It's this kind of assumption that lead to arguments...

Other mediums you may enjoy watching are Sylvia Browne, Rosemary Altea, and James Van Praagh. All make frequent TV appearances.

Also, don't overlook the many televangelists that are experts in audience management and presentation.

jr
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Go, browse over to the evasons website. Downlaod their video clips. NOW that's unbelievable.
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
What's the URL, Zodiac?

thx, BB Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd love to hear a magical deconstruction of a televangelist's act.

Anyone know of one?
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
DrZ
Which video clips are those? Smile
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
I think he means the 'promo' videos...?

BB Smile
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
He's referring to their demo videos--on their website.
They're incredible.

As far as a televangelist act...do an internet search on Peter Popov along with key words Steve Shaw and Randi.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
I've given up on the Evasons.
C'mon, fellas. was it a joke or a marketing
thing? Smile
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2003-08-17 15:23, Brandon wrote:
He's referring to their demo videos--on their website.
They're incredible.

As far as a televangelist act...do an internet search on Peter Popov along with key words Steve Shaw and Randi.

Interestingly, despite Randi's expose of his faith healing activities back in the 80's, Popov's televangelist ministry is still going strong -- I recently caught his "act" on a late night BET broadcast! Smile
DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
To what are you referring as a joke or a marketing "thing"? Why would the Evason's market to bunch of mentalists? Can you not find the link yourself...

http://evason.com/show.html

With regards to DaveS comments...yes Popov is doing fine now, after he took some time to 'regroup' after being exposed. He claims he has a larger...more devoted following now than ever before. Not hard to believe at all.

Brandon
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17524 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Well Brandon, I guess there's one born every minute. Not hard to believe but I just can't bring myself to it! What are they thinking? Or Not. The Evasons Rock. I like how natural it is. She says, "I'll just close my eyes".... No blindfold, Nothing. You just WANT her to succeed. Very Good. I'm not too sure about Edward but he does seem to prepare the audience pretty well.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Nicholas,
James Randi wrote a book called "The Faith Healers" several years ago. It's a very good read. I see it's still available at amazon.com.

Steven
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I hear that Briang Gillis and sisuepahn use a great 2 person code. Its as close to mind reading as I have seen. I emailed a clip of a performance on tlc to brian gillis, he seems to be a great guy too.
As for the evasons, they seem to be awesome too, I just have never seen them perform outside the demo clip. Try downloading the college one, very cool!

Z
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
[quote]On 2003-08-18 16:48, Brandon wrote:
To what are you referring as a joke or a marketing "thing"? Why would the Evason's market to bunch of mentalists? Can you not find the link yourself...

http://evason.com/show.html

Hi Brandon
Thanks for the correct URL
No, I couldn't find it myself because I was given 3 wrong leads Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
So did you enjoy the link?
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
LOL

I just read my post--and it didn't sound right. It sounded down-right rude--that wasn't how I meant it at all teejay!

Glad you found the link.

They are very incredible...another good link:
http://www.gillismagic.com/video.html

Enjoy!

Brandon
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4857 Posts

Profile of landmark
Any comments on John Edward?

Jack Shalom
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Are mentalists just naturally born Atheists or do they have so many methods up their sleeve that they are just skeptical about everything. Having started studying Stage Hypnosis I find the same kinds of references to televangelists from this group. There is such a thing as the supernatural and a connection between God and man. Not all of these people on telvision are doing an act. Calling it a Televangelist Act just seems so narrow minded of a thought pattern for a group that is supposed to be so open minded. Just my two cents.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Edward Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL