The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
The name's Donnie. I know... bad username choice..
250 Posts

Profile of IllusionsMichael
Sorry if this kind of question has been asked a million times already. It's a tricky one to search for and I'm still new around here.

You're in a social setting with a group of people who've never seen your work before and they've just found out you're a magician. They politely request a trick, you agree, and they hand you a deck of cards.

What trick do you do?

A lot can depend on your environment, of course: what's the mood of the audience, what are your angles like, seated or standing, etc. But you probably have a few effects that show up frequently when you do impromptu like this.

For me, it would probably be "Synergy" as presented by Oz Pearlman, inspired by Joe Berg. It's totally impromptu, and easy to remember on-the-spot. I may follow up with "Shuffle First, Ask Questions Later" by Kostya Komlat because I've practiced it so much and had great success so far in performance (only a couple performances, but they were all very successful).
Michael Bluth: "So this is the magic trick, huh?"

Gob: "Illusion, Michael. Tricks are something a **** does for money."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I do my impromptu version of OOTW. No set up, just launch into it and it kills everytime.
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Honestly I think I perform Fortitude a lot simple and quick to the point. Mishap Poker Deal, FBI card trick, an a Spectator Finds the Aces is nice to do.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I do my own version of Nick Trost's "Spectator's Card Trick" (almost identical to Daryl's "Untouched"). It's extremely easy to do, allows me to focus on presentation, and creates a connection with my spectators. Oh, and it's completely impromptu.

I would feel equally as comfortable starting with Harry Lorayne's Impromptu Out of This World, but sometimes I like to hold that one back for when they want even more. Smile

I think you should do whatever is a very comfortable trick for you. Obviously if people are asking you do some magic, you're at least off on the right foot. That is, you're not forcing it on anyone. So relax and have fun. Go with it and amaze them since they want to be amazed!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Justin W
View Profile
Special user
Lawrence, KS
929 Posts

Profile of Justin W
G-g-g-gemini Twins.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
HaLo Aces. It's somewhere on the internet (where I do it with kings), if you want to bother trying to find it. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
My Invisible Card
Apocalypse January 1993 - Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum May 1, 2009
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I was gonna say HaLo Aces, but this guy named Harry beat me to it! Seriously though, Mr Lorayne has zillions of effects with a borrowed deck! click on his banner! Lynn
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Probably card under foot. Or if it is a quieter atmosphere Poker Player's Picnic. But perhaps we had not get into that again. (see other thread) I would set the deck up right in front of them.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lynnef: What/which banner? HL.

IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Mr. Lorayne, HaLo Aces is basically at the top of my list of effects to learn in the near future. If I remember correctly, it's described in Volume 2? I'll be picking up this series very soon, hopefully within a week. I look forward to what looks to be a trove of good material.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Prefer if you order directly from me, Michael. Then you can even have it autographed!!

IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Sounds Great! I just sent in my order for Volume 1! I'm anxious to read it.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Your order received, , but as I e-mailed you, you did it though the website not through my personal email address - the first one listed below (with the word "earthlink" in it). Wanted to post this for anyone else who wants to order. Best - HL.

mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
I like to perform Triumph, Jumping Gemini, The Ambitious Card Trick, or my own effect "The Grid Trick" (PM me if you want instructions-free for everyone at the Café).
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Card to Mouth. Every time.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
Untouched or Search and Destroy
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Right now I am into Tapalac/Diplopia or Barrie Richardsons impromptu ACAAN (with a 'tweak' of my own).
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
For multiple spectators I begin with Richard Kaufman version of Everywhere and Nowhere that was published in Apocalypse. Otherwise if I have a table = a Jerry Sadowitz effect about doing a card trick backwards.If a table isn't available I recently began performing a strolling triumph by Peter Duffie, called Beast with Five Fingers
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
157 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
Harry Lorayne's Easy Indicator, but starting with an ace on top. Then I can go into any four-ace routine, such as twisting the Aces.

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL