The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I usually do 2 card monte (The one does David Blaine. I think it's David Williamson), or card to wallet. Or I don't know exactly what the trick is called. But basically the spec picks a card. I lose it in the deck. And then tell them I'm going to make it pop up to the top. But it's the wrong card. I give them the card. And tell them to touch another card in the deck. It's wrong as well. I ask them what their card was. And then riffle the deck at their card. They usually lose it. Because they can't figure out how the card gets into their hands.
jaymeswhite1219
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite1219
As a mentalist, I mostly do Lorayne's missing card stunt, it absolutely kills because it shows how powerful your trained memory is. Then I will do something like out of this world .
KirbyKoolAid
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of KirbyKoolAid
I've recently taken to an impromptu card-through-window effect, if possible. It's amazingthe reaction it gets. That, or a Do As I Do-style four aces reveal that, while boring for me, does look good for laymen.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
I would probably do ACR , Jumping Geminis or Two Card Monte for fast and visual effects .
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:
I do my impromptu version of Cosmos 2 . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRu1GpHr4c

G Ro

You can do what I see in the video with a borrowed deck?? that's amazing, I really thought you used a S******I deck
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1398 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Phren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:
I do my impromptu version of Cosmos 2 . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRu1GpHr4c

G Ro

You can do what I see in the video with a borrowed deck?? that's amazing, I really thought you used a S******I deck

Check out his ad on Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3646
Phren
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Phren
Gimmick? still feels like a S*******I Deck... Not really impromptu with borrowed deck
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Can never go wrong with a simple mind reading effect...
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys! I'm back! Smile Ya know, I just thought of one. Up The Ante. It's not impromptu, but can be made to look like it! Best of all, with UTA, the performer NEVER TOUCHES the deck! 'Nuff said. This is one of those I save for special occasions! Smile

Doug
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Do a couple different types of single handed cuts and hand them back.... if they keep insisting you could do your favorite ambitious card routine (or as the "in crowd" calls it ACR) and end with the card found in your everyday wallet
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Impromptu acaan
Shadowstalker
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Shadowstalker
Barrie Richardsons impromptu CAAN or Triumph enhanced with the infinity principle.
Smile

When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable.
Teller
DigaMag
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
286 Posts

Profile of DigaMag
Foursome by Harry Lorayne... always get great reactions...
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Maybe stigmata by wayne houchin, or my impromtu version of ootw
MJE
View Profile
Veteran user
After all these years,I STILL have only
351 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On May 26, 2011, IllusionsMichael wrote:
You're in a social setting with a group of people who've never seen your work before and they've just found out you're a magician. They politely request a trick, you agree, and they hand you a deck of cards. What trick do you do?

If it's some guy who just wants to figure out how I do something and I just want to get it over with, a double-l*** or color change gets the job done. If it's an intriguing and beautiful woman (and aren't they all?), Out Of This World will keep her occupied and entertained for a while before easing into an hour's worth of mentalism.
Dr_Bagelman
View Profile
Regular user
regretting every one of her
118 Posts

Profile of Dr_Bagelman
I always look to see if an image of the card is printed on the box. Bikes are usually good at putting a 10H on the back, and a KS on the ad card. If there's an image of a card on the box, I fan through to "make sure it's a full deck", cut to the 10H (or whatever), force it, have them shuffle, put the card in, etc (drum it up as much as needed), then box the deck. I put it in their hands, sandwiched, flip their hands over a few times, then end up with the box upside-down, so when they lift their hand they see their card printed on the box. Usually I walk away at this point. The one spectator is left (almost invariably) rubbing the box, while the other friends scream after you me for more.

MJE- remind me how Out of This World goes? I feel like I used to know it.
Before we begin any good experiment, we must remember to hydrate.
Watch my mad science videos!
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
Sankey's Back In Time is my go-to. Either that or Doc Daley's last trick.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
A double lift and come what will....
TheMagicHacker
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of TheMagicHacker
Slop shuffle is a pretty easy go-to trick, though I would probably go with the Two-Card Monte. Also, it's hard to go wrong with an ACR.
emanuele
View Profile
New user
London
36 Posts

Profile of emanuele
Let me preface by saying I'm not a professional magician, so basically all magic I do is impromptu with a borrowed deck of cards generally (or after mine has been thoroughly examined ahahah).

Depending on the general mood I will either do just 1 trick, or more of a routine if I see the environment will allow it.
If I'm standing, generally my go-to are:

"Smiling Mule" - R. Walton
"Homing Card" - F. Carlyle
"Dr. Daley's Last Trick" but standing up (might be "Be Honest, what is it")

If seated instead, I usually do Lorayne's "Foursome" or a Vernon's "Triumph".
Should the occasion be there, I usually fit these into my current routine segmented this way:

-Gary's Spells (from RRTCM) into
-Foursome (Lorayne) into
-Look, an Illusion (Jennings) into
-The Innocent Bystander (Skinner), and optionally into
-Triumph (Vernon)

As soon as I get my chops in tune to perform a good Travelers (either Darwin Ortiz's Hitchcock Travelers, or Jennings' Ambidextrous Travelers which can be done standing), that would become probably one of my go-to standalone effects too!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Some friends hand you a deck of cards and ask you to do a trick. What trick do you do? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL