We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anti Gun...check this out.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
There are many things wrong with the situation portrayed, but keeping a gun in the house is not one of them.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Three points.
1, Hunters don't snatch purses.
2, in america, gunfree zones have the highes crime rate. Areas with the most guns have the lowest crime rate.
3. every single citizen in switzerland is required by law to own a firearm. Guess what? you guessed it- no crime.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No crime?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Switzerland

Be advised that Switzerland is a remarkably small country.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Gun crime. yes it is very small.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Switzerland is a strange place. Ever been there?

It's like Singapore.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Switzerland is changing. From the article you linked:

Quote:
The crime rate among resident foreigners (immigrant criminality) is significantly higher (by a factor 3.7 counting convictions under criminal law in 2003).[6] In 1997, there were for the first time more foreigners than Swiss among the convicts under criminal law (out of a fraction of 20.6% of the total population at the time). In 1999, the Federal Department of Justice and Police ordered a study regarding delinquency and nationality (Arbeitsgruppe "Ausländerkriminalität"), which in its final report (2001) found that a conviction rate under criminal law about 12 times higher among asylum seekers (4%), while the conviction rate among other resident foreigners was about twice as high (0.6%) compared to Swiss citizens (0.3%).

I have only ever been to Basel, and that nearly 40 years ago. I was quite comfortable there, as I recall. I have not been to Singapore, but Mrs. Woland visited, and said she was quite uncomfortable -- she was always afraid that she was unwittingly committing some infraction that would inevitably lead to caning.

From what I have read recently, and based on conversations with Swiss citizens, the rate of participation in military service in Switzerland is declining. This may lead to less and less participation in the national sport of rifle marksmanship, as well. The Swiss have a remarkable military history, and won their independence from far bigger and more powerful empires by virtue of the ferocity and tenacity which made them the hired guards of the crowned heads of Europe (a role they still fulfill in the Vatican) and which is memorialized by the Lion of Lucerne. That era of Swiss history may be slowly coming to a close.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
"I have not been to Singapore, but Mrs. Woland visited, and said she was quite uncomfortable -- she was always afraid that she was unwittingly committing some infraction that would inevitably lead to caning. "

So, it's a masochist's wonderland?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I miss the Michael Fay story.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, landmark, I think it's just all of the news coverage in the West, emphasizing how strict Singapore is, how many things are against the law, and how severe the punishments are. I think the result is a city unlike any other in Southeast Asia, however.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 23:30, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 21:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
I find it interesting on how many issues Kagan will have to recuse herself in the near future.

Or she could be like Scalia and Thomas and not recuse herself when it is clearly the ethical thing to do.

Of course. Anyone who disagrees with you is evil. I keep forgetting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Not disagreeing, just pointing out another possibility. Thomas and Scalia have been on cases where the stench of conflict of interest was mighty. Who's to say she won't do the same?
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
So allegation=conviction?
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Certainly no conviction, I don't have that power. Quite the contrary. What I am saying is that Kagan can blithely ignore calls for recusation, if she so chooses, with little consequence. That's part of the Supreme Court dealio. (I'm picking up Danny's unused dealios).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So in YOUR eyes and in the eyes of those who hate the right, then that is the standard huh? Do you really think that? Are you so ideologically blinkered as to just be that blind? Man it is sad as can be.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm just pointing out what is, Danny. If you're upset by it, then speak to Clarence and Antonin.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not upset. I am just shocked at the blinders you wear.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm sorry that my statement of fact about the Supreme Court shocks you. In the future, I'll try to warn you ahead of time. For the record, I hold no brief for Kagan, and thought she was a poor choice.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again you keep using stupid 9th grade straw men tactics like I am sorry I shocked you. Dude again no. The only point is that even if you think she is a poor choice, she is a lib appointee so your blinders go on no matter what. If it furthers a lib agenda your happy. NEVER critical of anything any lib ever does. That is the rule. Lib first.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5042 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well Danny, I'm glad to be your very own straw man. You know very well that I've often criticized people you consider libs (Obama, Gore) and yet you continue to make the same baseless assertion. I can only think you do it because you want to set me up as some straw man.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Interesting article at the link below about guns.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arch......age=true

Lots of interesting trivia in there, not the least of which is how the NRA used to be at the forefront of legislative efforts to enact gun control. And how the Black Panthers deserve significant credit for launching the modern gun-rights movement.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anti Gun...check this out.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL