The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's wrong with this trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Aha! I think this is a "mini" version of "Solitaire" made bigger, yes? I only just twigged that regular solitaire has a lot more pegs and holes. Hmm...even if this is so, I still think it wouldn't appeal to the majority of modern audiences. It's asking them to think too much....
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Potty,

I've got to agree with you; this wouldn't interest most audiences. And yes it reminds me of the Knight's Tour which I've never performed.

Unless you turn it into a David Ginn type dare. (In one early-1990's show ("It's all about time")he had to escape from a strait-jacket in a certain time before a PE teacher destroyed his wife's favourite hanky in a picture frame.) But I'm hard-pressed to make this solitaire memory test interesting in that way. Gunge tank, custard pie in face etc. Comedy or danger??
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Maybe if you spend a bit of time letting the audience tell you where to move, ending of course in a hopeless jumble, which reinforces how difficult this is for mere mortals.

Now let someone "choose" a color. And you proceed to quickly solve it, ending with that color. If there's a way to save the color reveal until the end, it would add. Is there any way you can easily impart your method to an audience member so they get to solve it to the chosen color?

Ed
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Maybe if you spend a bit of time letting the audience tell you where to move, ending of course in a hopeless jumble, which reinforces how difficult this is for mere mortals.

Now let someone "choose" a color. And you proceed to quickly solve it, ending with that color. If there's a way to save the color reveal until the end, it would add. Is there any way you can easily impart your method to an audience member so they get to solve it to the chosen color?

Ed
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Surely, especially for kids, your choice of effects should be funny, visual, and full of silliness. I don't see this being any of the above. Now, if you were to make a REALLY big version of this, you could use kids as the "pegs", and make it into a game. The Birthday Kid could be the last "peg" left. With a lot of careful planning, you might just get a game that would play well, as long as they all understand the rules....and you make it very daft.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think we can all agree that the revelation of something unknown works theatrically. This has that.

I also think that a demonstration of something that most people cannot do is intriguing. Magicians are always throwing in card flourishes, one handed knots, super-memory demonstrations, and so on. This contains that element, as well.

The Knight's Tour has several weaknesses that this does not. Most people do not understand the challenge, i.e. the level of difficulty in moving a single chess piece around a board. Or they do not understand the game of chess, the movements, etc. It's also an unnatural thing, as that is NOT how a game of chess is played. It also is time consuming. Finally, and most importantly, it had no purpose, no reason for doing it!

This concept does not have any of those drawbacks. It's easy to understand. While it requires a setup (but what magic/mentalism doesn't?), the actual playing out of the game is quick. The revelation is impressive and goes a step beyond "you have a thought, I reveal it" as there is an element of fun, a demonstration of skill and cleverness, and it DOES end with the accurate reveal of the chosen color. So, there is a reason for doing the puzzle; it's the means to the end.

No, I do not think the weakness is in the plot or the concept at all. I think it only needs to find the right presentation detail to push it over.

Let me stress that the trick does not bomb, it just does not that the 'punch' that I would like to see.
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
You need to decide what the "wow factor" in the trick will be. I don't think you can have both, the puzzle solve and the color prediction. Personally, I would downplay solving the puzzle, it's impressive but... it's a puzzle. So make a big deal out of the color prediction. Add a secondary reveal, if you can, I would craft the last peg so it could change to the predicted color (it would be really easy if the color is a force). Or, you could build the pegs to have a clear tip or strip and put an led system into them (or the force peg) so they/it would turn the selected color. If you must gimmick all the pegs, make the switch trick so only you can turn a peg on.

I've seen a few here on the Café' who do custom circuitry if you need that done.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
idomagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Denver, CO
255 Posts

Profile of idomagic
You need to decide what the "wow factor" in the trick will be. I don't think you can have both, the puzzle solve and the color prediction. Personally, I would downplay solving the puzzle, it's impressive but... it's a puzzle. So make a big deal out of the color prediction. Add a secondary reveal, if you can, I would craft the last peg so it could change to the predicted color (it would be really easy if the color is a force). Or, you could build the pegs to have a clear tip or strip and put an led system into them (or the force peg) so they/it would turn the selected color. If you must gimmick all the pegs, make the switch trick so only you can turn a peg on.

I've seen a few here on the Café' who do custom circuitry if you need that done.
Chad Wonder (Chad Wonder Magic, Inc)
Past President SAM 37/IBM 131 (Mile High Magicians)
www.idomagic.com
www.iDOMAGIC.dev
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Maybe you should just accept that this isn't a wow kind of a trick rather an interesting and intriuging trick and place it in your show somewhere where you don't need a bang.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's wrong with this trick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL