The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » T&R Newspaper for Kids? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've been closing my shows with either the Chair Suspension or the head chopper for older audiences. Dan Harlan recommends doing this as the next to last effect, and finishing with a "quick, silly, or charming" effect to say goodbye. I'm considering using the paper hat tear, but this seems more appropriate for girls. Would the T&R Newspaper be a good closer?

Thanks,

Jim
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Although I don't do it, I think that a torn & restored effect could be a nice closer for either gender. Think about something other than a "hat" tear. Someone (Karrel Fox?) did a tear where a rabbit appeared inside a top hat. The possibilities are endless as to what the restoration item can be, and you should not necessarily consider it a girl's trick.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
A good way to turn a Torn and Restored Newspaper into a finale is by doing a double tear. The first one is your favorite method- the paper is torn and then instantly restored. Now you tear it again, but very selectively as if making something, and when you open out the newspaper, it has torn out letters spelling out GOOD NIGHT or THANK YOU or whatever you desire as long as it's short and to the point. Use a dressmaker's pattern wheel to design the lettering so the letters appear torn out, and use stencil lettering to form letters like O and D with the open space held together by narrow bridges of paper.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
In a VERY short number of years... our youngsters are going to say... "What's a newspaper"... and you're going to have to do the smashed and restored Ipad, Kindle, Nook or SmartPhone for them!!
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
377 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I do it as an opener but it could certainly close, it is very magical and gets a great reaction from all ages.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I use Anderson's as a finale, quite often, and it leaves any audience speechless. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I'm with everyone else. I've used the Anderson T-R Newspaper in my school and library shows for years and kids of all ages love it.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3642 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Thanks for the advice - I'm going to give it a try!

Jim
BIGmagiclV
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of BIGmagiclV
How about a torn and restored comic book for kids?
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I have used the TR newspaper for private family shows by first talking to the parents, finding out highlights, and then incorporating those events in the newspaper "articles." Kids have loved it. But, I agree...the newspaper will be an unfamiliar object very soon.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 19:06, BIGmagiclV wrote:
How about a torn and restored comic book for kids?

Jim Gerrish and Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki both perform the Torn and Restored Comic Book in their kid shows, but not as a closer. Neither feels it replaces a good old fashioned "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" finish. Jim finishes with the production of the giant air-blown birthday cake from stove (described in Ungimmicked Egg Bag in his Kids Magic Section on my site), and Qua-Fiki finishes with his "Flippy Floppy Bigger Box" routine (described in The Wizards' Journal #18).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » T&R Newspaper for Kids? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL