The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wipe That Smirk Off Your Face!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
I've made a study of poor Jimmy Dean. I've made a study of myself, and I know why girls, at least the young'uns , go for us. We're sullen, we're broodin', we're something of a menace. I don't understand it exactly, but that's what the girls like in men. I don't know anything about Hollywood, but I know you can't be sexy if you smile. You can't be a rebel if you grin.

--Elvis Presley (Peter Guralnick, Careless Love, p. 324)

From the article in Paul's link:

Quote:
"Generally, the results appear to reflect some very traditional gender norms and cultural values that have emerged, developed and been reinforced through history, at least in Western cultures," Jessica Tracy, a sociologist at Vancouver's University of British Columbia, said in a statement Tuesday.

Now, how does Ms Tracy know that this is not connected to genes and hormones, rather than "reinforced" "gender norms"? Are testosterone and estrogen "cultural values"?

Or is all this really the fault of "poor Jimmy Dean"?
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Nature and nurture get flipped about however is convenient to the post-modern multi-cultural meta-gender left. In this case, she's arguing that "gender" values are superficial cultural constructions "reinforced through history" (whatever that means). When it suits them, she will argue that the occasional or even rare observation of some imperfectly understood phenomenon in the animal world should make it a prescriptive norm for human society. This is another discussion to which Roy Baumeister's excellent address and then book are relevant.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Woland, agreed that some on the left appeal to nature or nurture as the argument suits. But it sure is prevalent on the right as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wipe That Smirk Off Your Face!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL