The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No dancing allowed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 10:04, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 21:49, Tom Cutts wrote:
The law isn't ridiculous, your misrepresentation of reality is. This was a protest, not "just" dancing. Protesting on national monuments not allowed. Do it, go to jail. But then that is what they wanted. They get it... You don't. THAT is ridiculous! Smile

The law they were protesting was specifically about dancing. It's a stupid law. See the OP's original post, second link:

"In papers filed by Alexandria attorney Alan Gura, she argued that the low-key dancing was protected free speech, surely allowed at the feet of Thomas Jefferson, of all places.
The suit also noted that routine groups of noisy school kids disrupt the quiet mood of the Jefferson far more than silent dancing.
The courts didn’t buy it.
They agreed with the U.S. Park Service that it has a duty to maintain “decorum” at the nation’s monuments and that any demonstrations, whether one person or many, are not allowed inside the nation’s memorials.
This week, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia firmly agreed.
It said that “expressive dancing falls within the spectrum of prohibited activities” and that “the Park Service has a substantial interest in promoting a tranquil environment at our national memorials.” "

Landmark, you have to let him figure this stuff out for himself.

But since you brought it up, yes, also the actual charge the protesters got, or at least what they were told the were charged with was, "dancing in a prohibited space."

Let's just let that "charge" sink in.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 23:44, landmark wrote:
I'm sure Medea had no permit. I think the larger point is that you shouldn't need permission to dance.

BTW ever dance in a bar when you weren't supposed to? (It's against the law in NYC if the bar doesn't have a cabaret license. At least it was in the days that I went into bars).
Do you think such people should be arrested, handcuffed, and thrown to the floor?

The whole response was idiotic, and only served to confirm the bias of the dancers in the first place.

I wouldn't want to be cop in that situation, clearly carrying out orders from on high not to allow dancing. But then I wouldn't want to be a cop at all. At some point you have to be able to say, "Why am I enforcing this stupid law? Why are the resources of the people being used here instead of collaring the real criminals. Who am I really here for? Later for that."
But I understand we all have families to feed. But I see most here have gotten out of the cop life.

And he11 has frozen over as I agree with RobertSmith.

If told to stop and they don't stop dancing by all means they should be restrained as seen fit by law enforcement. EN "FORCE" MENT odd how the word force is there isn't it? Maybe it is there for a reason.

Why am I enforcing this stupid law? It is your job. Ever beeninthe service? Probably a dumb question or you woudl not ask such a stupid question to begin with. In most jobs you are told what to do unless you are the boss. If you do not like that quit. Otherwise do your JOB. If you wee the pilot of the Enola Gay would you have said I do not believe in this and not drop the bomb?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
At that point they get another to do it.

He does not believe in anyone telling anyone what to do. People will just do things and be nice because cops can't stop them. The ONLY reason people are violent in GDWville is cops.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, we've heard the "just following orders" defence plenty of times.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No, it is the "just doing what the majority OF THE PUBLIC HAS DECEIDED IS LAW" defence.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 16:54, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 23:44, landmark wrote:
I'm sure Medea had no permit. I think the larger point is that you shouldn't need permission to dance.

BTW ever dance in a bar when you weren't supposed to? (It's against the law in NYC if the bar doesn't have a cabaret license. At least it was in the days that I went into bars).
Do you think such people should be arrested, handcuffed, and thrown to the floor?

The whole response was idiotic, and only served to confirm the bias of the dancers in the first place.

I wouldn't want to be cop in that situation, clearly carrying out orders from on high not to allow dancing. But then I wouldn't want to be a cop at all. At some point you have to be able to say, "Why am I enforcing this stupid law? Why are the resources of the people being used here instead of collaring the real criminals. Who am I really here for? Later for that."
But I understand we all have families to feed. But I see most here have gotten out of the cop life.

And he11 has frozen over as I agree with RobertSmith.

If told to stop and they don't stop dancing by all means they should be restrained as seen fit by law enforcement. EN "FORCE" MENT odd how the word force is there isn't it? Maybe it is there for a reason.

Why am I enforcing this stupid law? It is your job. Ever beeninthe service? Probably a dumb question or you woudl not ask such a stupid question to begin with. In most jobs you are told what to do unless you are the boss. If you do not like that quit. Otherwise do your JOB. If you wee the pilot of the Enola Gay would you have said I do not believe in this and not drop the bomb?

Logic escapes your post.

Passive resistance does not warrant being body slammed and choked. Ever.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 17:51, gdw wrote:
Yes, we've heard the "just following orders" defence plenty of times.

Quote:
Danny Doyle No, it is the "just doing what the majority OF THE PUBLIC HAS DECEIDED IS LAW" defence.

Semantics perhaps but defense is with an, "s." Just caying.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 17:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
No, it is the "just doing what the majority OF THE PUBLIC HAS DECEIDED IS LAW" defence.

I must have missed when the majority of the public decided "no dancing at memorials" was the law.

Of course that is beside the point as the source of the "orders" does not change that these police are "just following" them.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally I was speaking of a Frence fence. De Fence or some such thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Danny,

The Maginot Line was to discourage goosestepping, not dancing.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
If you wee the pilot of the Enola Gay would you have said I do not believe in this and not drop the bomb?

Yes.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6744 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 19:05, landmark wrote:
Quote:
If you wee the pilot of the Enola Gay would you have said I do not believe in this and not drop the bomb?

Yes.

No you wouldnt have.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6744 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 18:15, gdw wrote:
Quote:

I must have missed when the majority of the public decided "no dancing at memorials" was the law.

Of course that is beside the poYint as the source of the "orders" does not change that these police are "just following" them.

yes you did miss it, Gdw.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 23:14, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 19:05, landmark wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

No you wouldnt have.

Wrong.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 23:16, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 18:15, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Of course that is beside the poYint as the source of the "orders" does not change that these police are "just following" them.

yes you did miss it, Gdw.

along with a great many things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
There seems to be a new trend of stating assumptions about others as if they were facts.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6744 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Landmark, I'm sure you are a good man. I don't know you from adam, but it is my opinion that if you were flying the enola gay it would mean that you were a military man and ahad made a commitment to serve your country, and that you would feel as strongly as any in that military operation that saved the planet that this bomb would save hundreds of thousands of lives. It is my opinion that as pilot of said plane, you would be all too aware of the japanese no surrender policy, and the sensless deaths of countless thousands of young men to save the world from an evil empire bent on world domination.It is my opinion that you would not only drop the bomb, but would feel justified in doing so.
This is my opinion not of landmark the Café member, but of landmark- pilot of the enola gay.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lol, awesome.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6744 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Its funny cuz its true
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Something about the climate of the time; the Bataan Death March (1942) was publicized in 1944. The nuclear bombs were dropped in 1945.
American military people were likely still incredibly ticked off.
I'm not pointing that out to defend nuclear attacks. I hate nuclear weapons more than probably anything else in the world. Even more than sauerkraut.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No dancing allowed! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL