The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No dancing allowed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://jeffersondanceparty.info/

These people were doing this in response to this:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/......509.html

Apparently dancing doesn't promote a tranquil environment, at least not compared to loud obnoxious school trips to memorials.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They're very lucky...they got to be centers of attention for more than the duly allotted 15 minutes we're all promised.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"To maintain “an atmosphere of calm, tranquility, and reverence” at the Jefferson Memorial, law enforcers body slam and choke celebrants"

At first I was shocked when I watched the video of the arrests, then I kinda understood after reading the description of why they were arrested but after having some time to think about it I'm back to thinking it's really stupid to be arresting people for something as innocent as dancing. Seems very much like a police state type affair and abuse of power.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I couldn't finish reading the story. The scrolling advertisement was too annoying.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Near the middle of the video an officer in a black uniform threatens to arrest someone for taking video pictures without a permit. And at the end of the video the obnoxious one (the one who did most of the BS) tells people, including one who claoms to be from the press, that taking video pictures is not allowed at the Jefferson Memorial. He said, "Not in here."

As Sarah would say: WTF?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow taunt cops and get arrested. Hmmmm.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 21:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Wow taunt cops and get arrested. Hmmmm.

You mean be peacefull, then get threatened with arrest, and harassed, question why, dance, then get arrested.

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Is this the putz that has his own TV show in Russia? This was just a stunt be these lefties. I noticed they didn't pull this BS off in front of Rolling Thunder across town. That would have been really funny.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 22:42, gdw wrote:
You mean be peacefull, then get threatened with arrest, and harassed, question why, dance, then get arrested.
While Danny can clearly speak for himself, I gotta say, break the law get arrested. I know is hard for gdw to comprehend but dancing has nothing to do with why they were arrested.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The arrested woman in the cut-off jeans was Medea Benjamin of Code Pink.

For fans of Emma Goldman, Professional Anarchist:

Quote:
At the dances I was one of the most untiring and gayest. One evening a cousin of Sasha [Alexander Berkman], a young boy, took me aside. With a grave face, as if he were about to announce the death of a dear comrade, he whispered to me that it did not behoove an agitator to dance. Certainly not with such reckless abandon, anyway. It was undignified for one who was on the way to become a force in the anarchist movement. My frivolity would only hurt the Cause.

I grew furious at the impudent interference of the boy. I told him to mind his own business, I was tired of having the Cause constantly thrown into my face. I did not believe that a Cause which stood for a beautiful ideal, for anarchism, for release and freedom from conventions and prejudice, should demand the denial of life and joy. I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement should not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. "I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everyboy's right to beautiful, radiant things." Anarchism meant that to me, and I would live it in spite of the whole world--prisons, persecution, everything. Yes, even in spite of the condemnation of my own comrades I would live my beautiful ideal. [Living My Life (New York: Knopf, 1934), p. 56]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 23:10, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
While Danny can clearly speak for himself, I gotta say, break the law get arrested. I know is hard for gdw to comprehend but dancing has nothing to do with why they were arrested.

Oh, so you mean when they were told if they danced they would be arrested, they were lied too? And when the judge recently ruled upholding that dancing was illegal there, he was also lying?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

Nope you said it fine.

THEY DISOBEYED A LAWFUL ORDER. Nuff said. They clearly did it asking for what they got. They got it so guys like GDW can cry.

All you have to do is willfully resist, delay, or obstruct any public officer, peace officer, or an emergency medical technician, in the discharge or attempt to discharge any duty of their office or employment and you're off to jail.

If a cop needs to clear a sidewalk, stop traffic, evacuate an building, tell someone to halt, lay down, or to put down an object (just to name a few) in order to do the job and they refuse to comply, then there is a violation in some states. If the job was to make sure they did not demonstrate by dancing, well, you figure it out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope you said it fine.

THEY DISOBEYED A LAWFUL ORDER. Nuff said. They clearly did it asking for what they got. They got it so guys like GDW can cry.

All you have to do is willfully resist, delay, or obstruct any public officer, peace officer, or an emergency medical technician, in the discharge or attempt to discharge any duty of their office or employment and you're off to jail.

If a cop needs to clear a sidewalk, stop traffic, evacuate an building, tell someone to halt, lay down, or to put down an object (just to name a few) in order to do the job and they refuse to comply, then there is a violation in some states. If the job was to make sure they did not demonstrate by dancing, well, you figure it out.

Never said it wasn't a "lawful order."
I'm just asking should it be, and is it anywhere near reasonable.
By the way, gotta love the "the law is the law is the law" message of your post.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What percentage of the arrestees do you suppose were thrilled to be arrested?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Personally, I'd say all of them, and a few sad they weren't.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2011-05-28 22:43, gdw wrote:
http://jeffersondanceparty.info/

These people were doing this in response to this:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/......509.html

Apparently dancing doesn't promote a tranquil environment, at least not compared to loud obnoxious school trips to memorials.

These are all the facts, people. Whatever you do, do not go looking for other facts related to this incident. All the facts we've decided you need are in these articles.
:rotf:
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Footloose for real. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
They should be charged and sentenced to a short jail-term.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:32, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope you said it fine.

Never said it wasn't a "lawful order."
I'm just asking should it be, and is it anywhere near reasonable.
By the way, gotta love the "the law is the law is the law" message of your post.

/
Do you believe you have to agree with why you are detained? Do you think there is a difference in detained and arrested? You have reached the limits of your intelligence on this one pretty quick.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:34, LobowolfXXX wrote:
What percentage of the arrestees do you suppose were thrilled to be arrested?

Thrilled, I don't think so. The thrill is probably gone at this point--Medea Benjamin has been arrested lots and lots of times at various civil disobedience actions. But it certainly was their intention to call non-violent attention to a stupid law, an activity that has a long and venerable history in the US.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No dancing allowed! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL