The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fined for improper tree trimming (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05......ree.html

Trim your trees wrong, and you're in trouble.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
Charlotte has had a tree ordinance since 1978, and when trees are incorrectly pruned or topped, people can be subject to fines, Johnson said.

Trees planted as a result of the ordinance are subject to the fines if they are excessively trimmed or pruned. These include trees on commercial property or street trees. They do not include a private residence.

Yes, because in this case, they were the city's trees, and they were over-pruned to the point where it permanently damaged them.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:08, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Quote:
Charlotte has had a tree ordinance since 1978, and when trees are incorrectly pruned or topped, people can be subject to fines, Johnson said.

Trees planted as a result of the ordinance are subject to the fines if they are excessively trimmed or pruned. These include trees on commercial property or street trees. They do not include a private residence.

Yes, because in this case, they were the city's trees, ...

That wasn't clear to me from the article, unless I missed something. The trees appeared subject to the Charlotte tree ordinance, but they were also on private property. You can see here that the ordinance applies to trees on private property:

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/e......erty.pdf

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/e......nes.aspx

In any case, they were still covered under the ordinance and the Church should have known (seeing how this ordinance goes back a few decades and is apparently well publicized).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
The big question is, as often, not whether or not it was written down somewhere, but whether or not it should be in the first place, and what right do they have to do this in the first place.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The big question is what is your major malfunction and part 'b' will you ever stop?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The big question is, the city has an ordinance, was it broken? Beyond that I'm sure the Internet will get warm and snuggly with those who don't live there and just need something to complain about so far from their own home that there is no chance they could take an action which would make even a tiny rats behind of difference, because after all they just want o complain, not actually DO anything.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I love when people assume I don't actually DO anything to make a difference.

Any who, so if the issue is, as you put it, that "the city has an ordinance, and was it broken," then let's make sure in Riverside, California, no one kisses on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, as it is against the local health ordinances.
Or in Ohio, in Oxford, where It is unlawful for a woman to appear in public while unshaven. This includes legs and unshaven. Or in Youngstown, where an ordinance says you may not run out of gas.

I mean, come on, whether or not people are breaking these are the big questions, right Tom?

Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There is planty of evidence of your panty waving, but none of your actually doing. And when challenged rather than provide examples you side step the issue.

Hmmm...

Just wondering...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He is an arm chair know it all who thinks that doing something is running his mouth Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 00:44, Tom Cutts wrote:
The big question is, the city has an ordinance, was it broken? Beyond that I'm sure the Internet will get warm and snuggly with those who don't live there and just need something to complain about so far from their own home that there is no chance they could take an action which would make even a tiny rats behind of difference, because after all they just want o complain, not actually DO anything.

They could hold a Maypole dance around the tree, but then we'd have to take them down.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that rules are there to be enforced?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 01:00, gdw wrote:
I love when people assume I don't actually DO anything to make a difference.

Any who, so if the issue is, as you put it, that "the city has an ordinance, and was it broken," then let's make sure in Riverside, California, no one kisses on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, as it is against the local health ordinances.
Or in Ohio, in Oxford, where It is unlawful for a woman to appear in public while unshaven. This includes legs and unshaven. Or in Youngstown, where an ordinance says you may not run out of gas.

I mean, come on, whether or not people are breaking these are the big questions, right Tom?

Glenn those are obviously "Blue laws" and even though they may still be on the books. They aren't enforced. So that really has nothing to do with anything. The question is not to Tom or if anyone is breaking the law. The question should be too yourself. "Do you understand much of anything? Also why do you worry so much about what we do here anyway? Are you planning on moving to the U.S. and becoming a legal citizen?" This is all getting very old Glenn.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Oh, ok RS1963, so it's only pertinent to obey the ordinances YOU agree with. Gottcha.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea that is what he said. Remember how frustrated you get when I use your same tricks on you Glenn?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:

There is always another question lurking behind these issues: Is the ordinance justified?

And from the distance I sit, I won't comment on either that question or Tom's.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 15:54, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

There is always another question lurking behind these issues: Is the ordinance justified?

And from the distance I sit, I won't comment on either that question or Tom's.

John

EXACTLY. Sadly, far too many are too preoccupied with "it must be enforced, how else will we protect people from running out of gas, or dancing?"

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 15:29, gdw wrote:
Oh, ok RS1963, so it's only pertinent to obey the ordinances YOU agree with. Gottcha.

Dd I say that? No. You have no point with that reply, as is often the case.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 17:51, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 15:29, gdw wrote:

Dd I say that? No. You have no point with that reply, as is often the case.

gdw did have a point, actually. Tom had a post in which he said, "The big question is, the city has an ordinance, was it broken?"

gdw's response to that was right on point - he pointed out the fact that all sorts of silly laws are on the books, and that maybe the question of whether the law is a reasonable one or not is a "big question," too.

Your reply, that his response had "nothing to do with anything" because those were "blue laws" was off-point; gdw's response DID have a lot to do with the post to which he was replying. Whether or not they are "blue laws" that are rarely if ever enforced was a digression. The initial claim in this sub-discussion was "the" big question - was a city ordinance broken? Tom did not limit his point to any particular set of laws (e.g. 'non-blue' laws).

And gdw's response, again, was on point - By excluding certain laws (the blue laws), you distinguish between some laws and others (unlike's Tom's post), and in so doing, you essentially make gdw's point, because you open the door to the question of whether this, too, is another one of those laws that should be rarely if ever enforced.

To some extent, there's a bit of confusion, because it's perfectly reasonable for you and Tom to veer in slightly different directions as you make your (different) points; but you kind of brought that on by commenting on a post that was a specific response to Tom's post.

gdw's point was the same point that John (Magnus) made shortly thereafter - there's at least another big question at issue: whether the ordinance is a reasonable one. gdw made it quite a bit more obliquely than John did.

None of which is to say that I particularly agree or disagree with gdw's point. But let's be fair; he had one.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Thank you lobo. At least some here aren't so blinded by their own opinion of me as to have a prejudice against most of what I post.
You always seem to be able to remain objective.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fined for improper tree trimming (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL