The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
437 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I am no expert at this but I use a 3" nail and it works out great. It goes all the way back up to the head of the nail and freaks people out.You will be surprised how big the nail is when people are telling others how big of a nail you put in your nose and I always tell poeple it was a 6" nail. After all, we are doing illusions.

When I started the first time my eyes watered and I would sneeze. You just keep doing it and it goes away. As a matter of fact my nose seems a lot more clear. Also it would hit something in the back sometimes and I would just move it around till it went in or would stop and try later. Seemed the safest way to me.

Hope this helps someone.
Shawn
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
I do this daily. It's the first thing I learned, and it's what got me into magic.. I can get a 5 inch nail in there. I would try more, but I don't have anything bigger in my garage...
Mark H
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mark H
OK I'm worried Smile
Be Mindful.....
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
I do it with my glasses' earpiece, lol.
I put it into the curve, then change the glasses' position and keep going in.
It freaks people out.
Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
Try practicing it with a CueTip!

:baby:

Sn!per
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Q-tips? Thats cheating, I say galvanized steel or nothing... LOL, thanks guys.. What a treasure chest full of knowledge we have here.

1st try about 3 inches in! WHOO WHEW! Smile
primoshock
View Profile
New user
Utah
11 Posts

Profile of primoshock
Oh man - I can just see it mentally . . . a REAL big earthquake while someone is shoving a nail into their nose . . . lol.

-Primoshock
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
If you get bored of the nail try the arm on a pair of glasses... It is a great gross out especially when you are using a pair from a spectator.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
x-treem, that's disgusting, funny but sick. I still can't get past the sneeze effect, and this is try 121, no 122. Any desensitizing creme? Once again, no jokes please, my virgin eyes......
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I would never have thought that at 45 I would be considering hammerhead as an addition to my act. After reading this thread I found I could already insert 2.5 inches of a 3 inch nail (after proper use of alcohol) into my nose. When you place it next to your cheek and see how far it extends you get an idea of the impat it will have on your audience. Everytime I had seen or heard of this all that came to mind was the insanity of hammering a hole in your skull for the effect of it. A little knowledge can be dangerous.

The main problem I had was getting over the sensation of something up your nose. I didn't have a sneezing problem. Maybe I haven't gone deep enough yet. I did notice, however, that afterwards your nose drains real well and your nose opens up.

Redbeard The Magical Pirate - Sideshow geek. Maybe next will be the bed of nails. But you can forget the fire eating. When I was much younger and more foolish I had a 1/2 pound of black gun powder blow up in my hand and turn the metal can inside out. That was enough burns for a lifetime.

Well here's to all our bizarre dreams. Nothing personal to the new occultists who call their magic bizarre.

Martin Blakley
Redbeard The Magical Pirate
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
Does anyone here know of a source for non-galvanized nails? My local hardware store and even the big guys seem to only have stainless and galvanized. Both of these have coatings that I would not want up my nose. Any ideas welcome.

Andy
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Hey there hammer heads,

I have been sticking nails in my head for many years now. I have had about everything go wrong that could go wrong.

First of all if it is stopping at three inches you need to direct the nail down as it comes to the back of your throat before stopping. I have an x-ray of my head with a six inch nail.

Always use a chromed nail. If it is rusty you could get tetanus. I know.

The arm on glasses works great because it is already curved down. This is the same passsage hospitals use to pump your stomach or give assisted breathing.

The sneezing and watery eyes will go away once your tissue is used to the nail. I have found the chrome really helps. Doesn't have as much of a metalic taste.

Don't use a q-tip. What if the cotten gets left behind? Oh and I lubricate the nail with saliva, don't use anything else. The spit also warms the nail up.

Always blow your nose before performing so that you don't pull the nail out with something hanging off it. Yes, it has happened to me.

Sillily, Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
What kind of disinfectant should be used? Smile
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Disinfectant? I use my spit.
I run it through my mouth a few times. Sure if the volunteer has a cold I could get it from their hands to the nail to my mouth. It happens.

I clean the nails with alcohol after picking them up from the chrome shop, I don't know what kind of chemicals or metal residue is on there, but it comes off.

Now I am not recommending anyone do this. It is crazy and I have never met anyone that thought different. I warned you.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
Spit may be a good lubricant but it's certainly not a disinfectant. Alcohol is what I've been using. If you are looking for something discreet then maybe the little alcohol wipes like at the hospital? You could probably use one without the audience even seeing it. Just an idea.

Andy
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Alcohol only moves germs, it dosn't kill them. Ask anyone in the medical profession.

Explanation:
As long as you have a towel with alcohol to wipe the germs off with it will move them, not kill them.

Lysol will kill anything if you are that worried, or bleach. I don't want either of those in my head.

All I am saying is if it's gonna get you it's gonna get you. After sticking hundreds of nails in my head at theaters and bars across the country I don't worry about disinfectants anymore. Just lubrication.

It may be my death. Will

P.S. Mr. Honesty, How long of a nail do ya use?
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Your spit, your nose, your germs. Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I wouldn't get too hung up about the whole disinfectant thing - as Pokie-Poke says, it's your spit and your nose. I've been using this method for a long time and have never come to any harm.

Another pointer, if you do have a cold, don't do it. Apart from the obvious mess, you may not be able to feel the nail correctly and, potentially, make a mistake. I've heard of this happening once and the result was a bit bloody.

Cheers

ML
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Get the nail gold-plated. It adds a lot of class to the effect. Smile Besides, it tastes better than chrome or nickel (yes you will taste it in your nose), and only costs about $10.

Any plastic or varnish coatings will be removed by your plating guy before he puts it in the electro-plate. It's also a good idea to take some fine sandpaper to the point to round it a bit before plating. No one will notice, and even if they did it doesn't take anything away. The trick is still cool with chop sticks.

You don't want to scratch anything in the thin membranes of the nasal cavity--that is the most dangerous way to get a serious infection. Alcohol will not kill every pathogen, but does a pretty good job of killing bacteria which are the most common agents for this kind of infection.

Infections in the nose are extremely dangerous (and potentially though rarely fatal) because of its proximity to the brain.

Only offer the spectators the chance to examine the nail after the performance. Most will refuse even after you have wiped it--they don't want to get your germs! Doesn't matter, since the offer is usually convincing enough.

Simply dropping the nail on a table produces such a convincing solid sound that no one will suspect that there is anything tricky about the nail. Much like sword swallowing, a sharp rap on the table is convincing enough.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4732 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Nails up your nose? Smile
Ouch! I think I'll pass. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL