The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I haven't done anything to deserve a nail up my nose. Well, not recently.

But, if I had, I think that I'd tell people that the nails come as a set of two and I can never remember if this one is for the right or the left nostril.

Blockheading, as a trend, is right up there with cell phones in restaurants.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
chiron
View Profile
New user
Norway
8 Posts

Profile of chiron
Hi there,

I've been playing with an idea...It might seem a little strange,
but that's what we're all here for anyway, right?... Smile

Instead of inserting/hammering the nail into your nose,
what about - producing - it from your nose.

If you don't use the biggest nail you find, it's possible to
hide it inside your nose, and then you can make a duplicate
nail mysteriously disappear, and then re-appear inside your nose
...or something like that?!

...any other ideas on this? Smile
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Nice idea, would work well as part of a magic routine. But, as my act involves a good dollop of sideshow stuff, I'm going to stick to the powerdrill and 6" nail bit - I want people to see that what I'm doing is real, not gaffed. If I then combined it with a vanish/ production, spectators would justifiably assume that the blockhead bit was a trick.

Just a thought.

ML
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
Try some sort of lubricant that doesn't make you sneeze when you smell it, if you don't sneeze when it's out of there, you won't sneeze when it's in there. Try a hand creme until you get over the sneeze reflex.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Are you crazy?? Smile
Don't stick hand creme in your head. A budy of mine who is a RN decided to try the block head because he had seen me do it. He thought he would use a little KY Jelly because that is what they use when they are inserting tubes in the nose of patients. Well it gunked up his head for over a week. Giving him a awful runny nose and congestion.
Spit I tell you.

That is if you want to try it but I don't recommend it one bit.

I remember the first time I saw this effect. I was 14 years old and had been into magic since the age of 10. The guy used a screw driver and I just knew it was gaffed like a fake spring loaded stabbing knife. I was wrong but at the time you could not have convinced me other wise. I have always felt the same about the drill idea. It is a huge drill. Why couldn't the bit just retract into the drill? This is why I use a 6 inch nail. To the hilt.
that's all I have to say about that...
Sillily, WIll
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
Whew, lol just tried it for the first time, tickles very much. I'm using the end of a small plastic paintbrush, lol. If I get good enough at it, I may try the eyeglasses thing. My friends would hate me for that. Lol, perfect chance.... I love doing things like that to gross people out.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
hawkbird
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of hawkbird
Why not just stick with the nail through the tongue. It gets a great reaction and looks good to most magic dealer sell this and it is much safer to do... Gross them out!!! Smile Seems to me all the body piercing going on would only increase the popularity of this effect if done with the fake blood. It would certainly make me think twice about piercing my body parts...
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Not so sure about the shock value of nail through tongue anymore. With pierced tongues being more popular, there are now plenty of performers doing this for real. If anyone has had the opportunity to catch the latest show from Circus of Horrors, then you'll have seen the excellent Wasp Boy have a nail hammered through his tongue into a block of wood. Great stuff.

ML
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Smile Smile Smile
You're right! Piercing has killed every effect of nail-through-everywhere!

Since I saw this guy with more than 300 piercings in the body, I'm wondering:
How can we fight?!!

;)

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1736 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
To the one who wants to produce a nail from his nose...

do consider this story:

There was a magician that used to (perhaps still does) take a nail and "shove it through the back of his head" and it would come out of his nose. The way he accomplished this was to have a nail in his nose to begin with. Now I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to walk around with a nail hidden inside my nose - one bump to the nose and you have brain damage. One day this magician decided to play basket ball... enough said.

Getting past the sneezing problem:
1. You will cut down on sneezing if you have a nail that fills the diameter of the nasal passage. The skinnier the nail the more sneezing will take place at first.

2. Practicing with small birthday candles will allow you to get used to a skinny object in the nose - although you will sneeze uncontrollably at first.

3. When buying nails make sure you get all of the 'gunk' and 'chemicals off the nail before inserting. Sand Paper and Rubbing alcohol works.

4. Dull the point on the nail. First rule of Geek Magic - BE SAFE. We are creating a illusion of danger... it's still a real nail, its still going into your head... no need to be more stupid than that.

5. When you start getting nose bleeds, STOP.

6. DO NOT cover your nail with alcohol and then stick it into your nose. This is dangerous. Spit is the best to use.

Spit does in fact disinfect. Ask a nurse or doctor.

Not only does spit disinfect but it also will not hurt you.

You don't want to be sticking harsh chemicals into your nose.

Please folks, be smart about this - if you are choosing to experiment with out instruction.

I've been doing these kinds of things for quite some time. Others in this area will tell you only a fool puts themselves in real danger.

Happy Hammering,

George Tait
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
Wow I tried the glasses thing and it went quite far. I asked my dad how far up it when and they freaked!!!

YAYYYYY

Matt
MrHonesty
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of MrHonesty
Please don't think that I am presenting this for the sake of argument. I am only doing this FYI. Using your own saliva to lubricate something going into your own nose is not bad. It's your own and those two areas are already in contact. Saliva is not a disinfectant though. It is salivary amylase and mucous. It also contains many microorganisms. I've referenced this below. Alcohol in your nose is bad. It will irritate the mucous membranes. However when you disinfect something with alcohol you should let the alcohol evaporate completely as it is the drying action that actually kills the microbes and bacteria.
I'm just trying to keep the sinus infections to a minumum. Have fun

Andy

http://www.cranews.com/newsletter/highli......sinfect/
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I told you.

spit!!

The only way to go. Sure you might get a cold from licking the nail after a gal from the audience has inspected it. She may be carrying the cold. Other than that it is the way I have done it for years. With out lube it hurts and can irritate the skin.

I do not file my nails down. I do have them chromed.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
just thought I'd mention that my avatar (yay, I eventually got round to putting it up) shows me doing the blockhead. The photographer got a bit queasy during the shoot!

Cheers

ML
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Jim Rose, that guy who appeared as Dr. Blockhead in the X-Files, performs the Blockhead stunt with a spoon handle in the "DVD Extras" portion of the Playstation 2 "SSX:Tricky" videogame.

All I can say is, OUCH!!!
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
The chances of injury don't seem worth the reaction from the audience no matter how good it is. Just my opinion
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
I've been doing this for years. In fact, I'm doing it as I sit here at my PC - I've not been hurt doinggggggggggggggggggggggg..........
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Nappa! I don't agree with you.

Ask these acrobats, these trapeze artists (for example) if these don't take risks. Of course, they try to avoid injuries, but they know they have many chances to confront themselves with these dangers. But they take this risk for the quality of their show.

Many things in magic aren't perfectly safe for ourselves. For example, I burnt my hand more than once to practice flame on hand without gimmick. But I know, now, how to do a 2 to 4 seconds flame on hand without a gimmick. It took me time and pain to learn it, but it is clearly worth this cost because it's an amazing attention grabber.

It's just a matter of choice.

See you soon nappa,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Quote:
On 2002-04-25 21:29, magicbrad wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find some info about the trick where you hammer a nail into your nose. Any info will be helpful. thanks Smile

The usual name for the act is "The Human Blockhead." Mel Burkhart who recently died at 94 (still performing!) made it his own, although it does predate him. Usually done with a six inch nail, (6b) it uses the space behind the nose. Although it is pretty easy to do, the performer is playing with sensitive membranes and can easily bleed. While difficult, it is also possible to go too far, and penetrate the inner side of the skull. Smile Smile

The hammer is window dressing, it is actually held back to keep the nail from being driven too deep. Other devices such as electric drills (gaffed) can also be used. Head flossing and snake crawling use the same principal.
Slim Price

A little more on this, and I hope it's not overkill.... Real sideshow performers are a little more "down and dirty" uusually doing one or more acts as many as 20 times a day, generally about 14. A 60d nail (6 inches) costs about $.04. Spend a couple of minutes with some emory cloth, or if you want to do a bunch, take them to anyone who tumbles stones or does metal work and get the nails deburred. The mucus membrane is enough, along with a little saliva to keep a minimum of sanitation. (If not, you'd be dead anyway!)

My point (finally!) is what I see here is vastly overdone. Slim Price...
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Guys - this is great that we have Slim Price posting here! And make sure you all pay a visit to his own website.

Cheers

ML
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL