The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
ML
Thank you. Krista and I make it a point to answer all mails and offer honest assistance where possible.
Slim & Krista Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
I just was bored and did it no problem... suppose it was meant to be. Smile

I have done it but now I am questioning how to fit large (in with) nails into the nose. Thanks Kyle Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
You probably will have no problem with a 60d nail. (Deburred) Another option, done especially by Mel Burkhart was/is a hinge pin,about the same size but with a bigger head.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Thanks for the tip I will put it in to practice.

The only tip I can offer the original poster is if you feel resistance of pain stop pushing it in an pull it out. You may feel discomfort but you shouldn't feel pain from this stunt, illusion, what ever it is Smile
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Quote:
On 2002-09-19 01:12, MrHonesty wrote:
Does anyone here know of a source for non-galvanized nails? My local hardware store and even the big guys seem to only have stainless and galvanized. Both of these have coatings that I would not want up my nose. Any ideas welcome.

Andy

Why not stainless? It's good enough for surgical equipment... BTW, us "down and dirty" sideshow types oppose chrome plating anything. The plating will flake and get you in trouble! If you must plate stuff, go for nickle plating, it is safe(er) Slim Price

Quote:
On 2002-04-25 21:29, magicbrad wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find some info about the trick where you hammer a nail into your nose. Any info will be helpful. thanks Smile

From Slim Price...
Just so you know, Krista and I can teach any of the sideshow arts. We are just outside of San Diego, (El Cajon) Call at (619)442-9569
If the line is busy, keep calling we only have one line. Some comment about our teaching can be found at our web site.
http://www.sideshow-freaks.com/sideshow_......tocf.htm
sanscan@tds.net

debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
552 Posts

Profile of debaser
Don't try to stop the sneeze simply accept it and the sneeze will stop.

I did this first when I was 16 years old in the back of a magic shop with an old rusty nail.

"what an idiot I was"
I wouldn't do it now, but when I was younger I would walk around with it up my nose and halfway through a conversation I would pull it out.
"the nail that is"

Matt
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Funny I started out with a Q-tip also then worked my way to a bic pen then to a nail. The only problem I have is people wanting to help hammer it in thinking it isn't real I guess. I will have to try to angle it down to get more in because I would also hit that "wall". Thanks for all the great advise you sick, twisted, disgusting people. Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I have a deviated septum and very narrow nasal passages, so am unable to do blockhead (I succeeded in one nostril ONCE with an icepick).
I know one performer who has a similar impediment, but CAN do it on one side.
Just my way of saying. "If it doesn't go, don't force it."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
Quote:
On 2002-10-31 03:23, CENDRE wrote:
... I burnt my hand more than once to practice flame on hand without gimmick. But I know, now, how to do a 2 to 4 seconds flame on hand without a gimmick.
It's just a matter of choice.

I posted it elsewhere, 'hand in candle flame', but as a part of my Fire Eating act I got to the point where I had flaming finger tips that put the gimmicks to shame, and did long burning flames from pools of liquid in the palms of my hands.

You hit it on the nose (no pun to topic intended), it is ALL ABOUT practice and EXPOSURE. Gents, Block Head is basically the same routine as Sword Swallowing; it requires similar 'traits' but is, of course, considerably easier to master.

Yep, I know a Hypnotist that pushes an Ice Pick up his nose, to 'demonstrate' self-hypnosis, and after removing it he tosses it to the stage where it very convincingly buries its tip pretty deeply into the wood floor.

Alcohol kills by DRYING as someone else mentioned. I have prepared biopsy tissue for scanning in Electron Microscopes, and to any over enthusiastic imbibers of alcohol, I can only tell you that you should see what a high concentration of it does to human tissue. If improperly prepared, it shrinks and curls up into a tiny pellet of totally distorted form. Even in a smaller amount, alcohol has the same effect: it drives out WATER, putting it in your nasal area, which nature KEEPS well 'lubricated' with fluid is ABSOLUTELY not a good idea.

Saliva DOES make a fine lubricant. I know, others have already said this, but I am currently studying some RN classes, and can tell you this is the 'real dope'.

I used to stick a couple of nails in each nostril, and place the heads so that they rested upon the tiny little bit of skin right above my nostrils. I couldn't do even a good 'vent's voice' attempt at normal speech, but LOVED the looks when I unexpectedly pulled one out. Would do it with only one or two people IN CLASS seeing it, who would immediately 'spread the word', and when THEY got a goodly number to look at me, then I would pull out the second one. This never failed to impress, and ended up more than once with a trip to my counselor. LOL Smile
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Matt, E-mail me for my "notes" (from the book) about fire and Blockhead.

Slim (and those other guys and girls) <G>
sanscan@tds.net

Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2004-06-21 20:36, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
I have a deviated septum and very narrow nasal passages, so am unable to do blockhead (I succeeded in one nostril ONCE with an icepick).

Ok, I about spit my drink on the screen with that! Although.... (Bizarre mind churning...)

My nephew, George the Giant, puts a crazy straw through his head so you can drink a coke through his head!

Ok, he's weird.

http://www.georgethegiant.com
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Something to think about... Ancient embalmers used this method to remove the brains from a corpse. Hmmm, explains a lot!
LOL

Slim
sanscan@tds.net

phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
The effect is explained in full on page 66 of the swami/mantra book compiled by Kaufman and co.

Basically, though, stick the nail up you nose vertically about an inch then tilt the nail to horizontal and push in further.

Do disinfect the nail beforehand, though.

Saxon
PAN
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of PAN
And for the love of God, don't put it up your nose before the alcohol is dry!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Sweet Mary! Now you tell me!

:eek:
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
The disinformation is beginning to get dangerous here! Please, PLEASE send for my manuscript on "The Blockhead" sanscan@4dcomm.com.... It will cost you nothing to learn from an old-timer with the FACTS! I can only send it by attachement...
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I use it, and oddly enough, a few hours later my nose bleeds randomyly. That only happened twice though, and long ago. One was probably the result of a hold that got a little too tight during Judo class, but you never know. It gets great reactions though.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1523 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Quote:
On 2004-07-17 23:53, what the...? wrote:
I use it, and oddly enough, a few hours later my nose bleeds randomyly. That only happened twice though, and long ago. One was probably the result of a hold that got a little too tight during Judo class, but you never know. It gets great reactions though.

Brian

Man, wouldn't it be great if your nose started bleeding right after you pulled the nail out? I started with six inch fat nails from Home Depot. I can get them in about 5 inches and they bottom out. I was going to do this a moment ago but they are starting to rust and I haven't had my tetnus shot yet this year. How much have you all paid to get the nails plated?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Plated???

I use only the best nails. Hand made by TGN himself.

These are seriously great nails and are recommended to anyone who performs blockhead.

They are made from sergical steel and are perfect in every way.

Ros

ps

As has been said before. Don't try teaching yourself this stunt. You could (and probably will) seriously damage yourself.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Im with Ros. And also get a tetanus shot. When I first started BH, I got some blood.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Nail In The Nose (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL