The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choked by cops for dancing at Jefferson Memorial??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Naw I am better off agreeing with you. You said it better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 11:35, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 22:38, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 23:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 21:15, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
At the very least, this was one of the worst examples of how to diffuse a potential problem I have ever seen. We may not yet be a police state, but at least the police are training for it. Shameful, really...

Have you seen a lot of them? How many? Two, three ten, a hundred. Please tell us as you seem to be an expert and we value your opinion. Especially when you use the words, "at the very least".

1. Yes. I teach the subject.
2. I did not count.
3. How do you get "seem to be an expert" from me stating my opinion. I can still do that, yes?
4. I used the words "at the very least" because I felt it was much, much worse than simply poor crowd management, if one calls that a crowd.

Why don't you give trying to be snide and confrontational a rest and consider my point. Do you really think that was the best way, or even a really good way, to handle that situation?

You teach what?

How in your "expert" opinion would you have handled these protestors who seem to want nothing more than to create a scene. They surely had no intention of listening to reason as was plainly seen in the video. Please explain your solution.

For God's sake, put a little effort in it...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Hehe, the ";p" in ";put" looks like somebody was winking and sticking their tongue out at the same time Smile

edit- Aw, you edited the semi-colon to a a comma before I posted my reply Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 23:30, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 11:35, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 22:38, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 23:13, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 21:15, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
At the very least, this was one of the worst examples of how to diffuse a potential problem I have ever seen. We may not yet be a police state, but at least the police are training for it. Shameful, really...

Have you seen a lot of them? How many? Two, three ten, a hundred. Please tell us as you seem to be an expert and we value your opinion. Especially when you use the words, "at the very least".

1. Yes. I teach the subject.
2. I did not count.
3. How do you get "seem to be an expert" from me stating my opinion. I can still do that, yes?
4. I used the words "at the very least" because I felt it was much, much worse than simply poor crowd management, if one calls that a crowd.

Why don't you give trying to be snide and confrontational a rest and consider my point. Do you really think that was the best way, or even a really good way, to handle that situation?

You teach what?

How in your "expert" opinion would you have handled these protestors who seem to want nothing more than to create a scene. They surely had no intention of listening to reason as was plainly seen in the video. Please explain your solution.

For God's sake, put a little effort in it...

So by that you mean you don't have an answer. That is what I thought.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 16:10, acesover wrote:
The colonial times were famous for the often anonymous, libelous, newspapers and pamphlets. In some ways things never change.

Yea lots of anonymous newspapers and phamplets as everyone had a printing press in their house. And a way to deliver them to the masses. No one knew who wrote what. What are you smoking?

Yes perhaps you're right. It seems the Internet does encourage widespread rudeness.
Anyway, my simple point was that contrary to an earlier post of yours, the colonial folk weren't always "upfront" about their opinions.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 16:16, landmark wrote:

Yes perhaps you're right. It seems the Internet does encourage widespread rudeness.

Which is my favorite thing about the internet. Before its creation I could only be rude to a few score people everyday. But now, I can be equally rude or ruder to untold thousands!

I love technology Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 19:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:
How many countries are there that if we counted the number of people who have emigrated from that country to the USA and the number of people who emigrated from the USA to that country, the latter number would exceed the former?

Would the reason for emigration matter? I'm thinking Canada to avoid the draft, or Switzerland to avoid taxes (or whatever). Do those numbers count?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 16:10, acesover wrote:

Yea lots of anonymous newspapers and phamplets as everyone had a printing press in their house. And a way to deliver them to the masses. No one knew who wrote what. What are you smoking?

Anyway, my simple point was that contrary to an earlier post of yours, the colonial folk weren't always "upfront" about their opinions.

Indeed, the Federalist Papers were originally published anonymously. Of course, there are many other lesser examples.

Naturally, anonymous authors back then made use of printing presses that were often owned by others.

Pretty much like how most anonymous people on the internet today purchase internet access from internet providers owned by others.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 16:37, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 19:36, LobowolfXXX wrote:

To get a better sample, we could aggregate the "Where have you lived?" argument...

How many countries are there that if we counted the number of people who have emigrated from that country to the USA and the number of people who emigrated from the USA to that country, the latter number would exceed the former?

Would the reason for emigration matter? I'm thinking Canada to avoid the draft, or Switzerland to avoid taxes (or whatever). Do those numbers count?

You also have what acesover brought up a while back, about how to fairly compare countries with vastly different population sizes. I think that no one has a good answer about that. On a per capita basis, relatively unpopulated Canada accepts well over twice as many immigrants as the U.S. does. On an absolute basis, the U.S. (with a population 10 times the size) accepts far more. Which is the fair comparison?

To be honest, I don't understand what point Lobo was making. That is probably my fault as I wasn't following the conversation here all that closely.

One thought I did have ... this is an opinion ... most U.S. Americans who emigrate elsewhere probably have the means to return to the U.S. if they want. But many immigrants to the U.S. from overseas probably do not have the same luxury. Once they get here, they have made their bed and are stuck with it. How does that enter into comparisons?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 16:35, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Which is my favorite thing about the internet. Before its creation I could only be rude to a few score people everyday. But now, I can be equally rude or ruder to untold thousands!

I love technology Smile

LOL Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"
I never said I did not like people critizing the government. I just don't like whiners. Don't whine, do something about it. "

I believe the people in this video were doing just that: not whining. Doing something about it.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 19:24, BillMcCloskey wrote:
"
I never said I did not like people critizing the government. I just don't like whiners. Don't whine, do something about it. "

I believe the people in this video were doing just that: not whining. Doing something about it.

I believe he was talking about certain people on the board here, just a guess.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Regarding the definition of entrepreneurship: This will take this thread on a different direction, but honestly, after 8 pages, who cares. Does let me get out a lot of things I think about:

There is a misnomer that entrepreneur and business owner are synonymous. Not true. A person who owns a hamburger stand is a business owner. Ray Kroc is an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurship requires the creation of efficiencies that significantly alter the way business is done. They are the bedrock of the US and I am proud to be part of that american tradition: I developed 4 companies out of my garage that significantly changed the way business was done. No one did what I did before I did it and many people try and do what I did now. It is the creation of something out of nothing. That is not to say owning a business is not hard work or take risk. It takes balls of steel, as they'd say in Glenn Gerry Glen Ross. It takes a hell of a lot of nerve. But it doesn't make you an entrepreneur.

Entrepreneurship is more akin to art: that is why the majority of entrepreneurs that I've met in my lifetime where artists, musicians, writers, magicians first.

Entrepreneurship, like Buddhism, in my opinion, requires the ability to detach. You can't think of what doesn't exist if you cling to what does. The world becomes your country. Where ever I go I try and be open to it. I don't try to let the dislocation of geography, time, custom.. to close me to the possibilities and opportunities of life. I came to new york to be a painter. I was musician and a writer. A theater major. I hitched from coast to coast multiple times in my 57 years. I built everything I have by my own wits and no support and when I came to new york I had no apartment, no job and $50 bucks in my pocket. and I was already in my 30's. My story IS the american dream.

What this country has lost is the sense of being able to dream. People need less boxes, not more. and politics, geography, custom, tradition, are all just boxes that you choose to leave behind or be comforted by.

There is no reason on this earth why people dancing should be arrested. Whether the police were provoked or not is immaterial. No one should have to be arrested for dancing just as no one should have to be arrested for where they sit on a bus, what drinking fountain they use, or where they go to school. At some point someone says enough and they don't submit and they do provoke and they put it on film and they hold a mirror up to what we have become.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Bill,

By your definition or I should say the definition of entrepreneurship I would have to say I do not qualify as an entrepreneur. I did not come up with anything new or revolutionary. Just took was avaliable to me and worked it to the best of my abilities. Definitely a very big difference as you pointed out.

Darn now I am nothing but a business man and entrepreneur sounds so much more impressive.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
In my opinion, any man or woman who carves their own life, be it business owner or entrepreneur, is impressive. Don't mistake my meaning.

By the way, it is not my definition, it is Peter Druckers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choked by cops for dancing at Jefferson Memorial??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL