The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choked by cops for dancing at Jefferson Memorial??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
"All true. Although, anytime a police officer has to use hands on force, it always looks worse than it really it is. I only used the GST Take Down when a subject was so recalcitrant, usually fighting or assuming a fighting posture, that the only way was to get him or her to the ground as quickly as possible to be cuffed."

Is that what you saw in the video, fighting posture? Looked much more like dancing posture to me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A LOT of departments went that way when they figured out that while the chemicals can "hurt" it goes away. Hurt while resisting hand to hand tends not to go away quickly.

PLUS it is far better for the officer any time they don't have to get in close hand to hand when a subject is actively resisting. I don't care who you are, you can and do get hurt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Exactly. I left before the taser became the popular non-lethal weapon of choice.

We even started suing people when an officer was injured due to the subject resisting. If the officer was hurt NOPD sued for damages amounting from ER visit and transport, lost time and the dollar amount it took to replace that officer while he/she was convalescing. It took about a year before the message was received by the public and after suits were filed, people slowly began to get the message.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 10:52, landmark wrote:
"All true. Although, anytime a police officer has to use hands on force, it always looks worse than it really it is. I only used the GST Take Down when a subject was so recalcitrant, usually fighting or assuming a fighting posture, that the only way was to get him or her to the ground as quickly as possible to be cuffed."

Is that what you saw in the video, fighting posture? Looked much more like dancing posture to me.


Please don't misquote me. I never said the guy in the video assumed a fighting posture. The fighting posture I eluded to was in the use of the GSTTD. The guy in the video was resisting an officer. Therefore, an arrest was made and the officer was using the force needed to effect said arrest.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am afraid I left prior to any of them really being popular.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 22:44, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 21:37, Dannydoyle wrote:
Who was choked? The guy who taunted them and resisted? You guys are funny and pathetic.

They were warrned, then the taunted the cops. OOPS. Guess what? You can't do that. They got naied. He CLEARLY warned them about where to demonstrate.


And you DON'T see how that sounds like the description of a police state?


In a police state, you don't get warned.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The authority doing the job they are paid to do is not a police state. If it were people like you would not be allowed to cry and see the internet. If it was such a thing, it never would have made it out of the memorial, the video that is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 11:44, Dreadnought wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 10:52, landmark wrote:
"All true. Although, anytime a police officer has to use hands on force, it always looks worse than it really it is. I only used the GST Take Down when a subject was so recalcitrant, usually fighting or assuming a fighting posture, that the only way was to get him or her to the ground as quickly as possible to be cuffed."

Is that what you saw in the video, fighting posture? Looked much more like dancing posture to me.


Please don't misquote me. I never said the guy in the video assumed a fighting posture. The fighting posture I eluded to was in the use of the GSTTD. The guy in the video was resisting an officer. Therefore, an arrest was made and the officer was using the force needed to effect said arrest.

Sorry. I thought you were saying that was what the officers were using. Still seemed excessive to me.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Re: videos--
Aren't there now laws being proposed to do exactly that--make it illegal to video police officers?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Anytime a police officer, sheriff's deputy or any other law enforcement officer has to use hands on force it will seem excessive. People don't see the resisting the officer side. "Place your hands behind your back is a simple command." If followed a lot of stuff can be avoided. We have a court of law, that is where any disagreement with the police action can be contested. In public is not the place to do so.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 12:13, landmark wrote:
Re: videos--
Aren't there now laws being proposed to do exactly that--make it illegal to video police officers?


Maybe, I don't know.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 12:13, landmark wrote:
Re: videos--
Aren't there now laws being proposed to do exactly that--make it illegal to video police officers?


What's the logic behind that?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They can't be brought up for unethical conduct.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Seems to me the smart alec punks got what they deserved.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I thought one of those guys arrested was Gary Busey at first. I didn't watch the entire video but, from what I saw, it needed tasers.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Interview with RT's "Adam vs. the Man" host Adam Kokesh, one of the arrested guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQcmlBV6mYQ
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 12:13, landmark wrote:
Re: videos--
Aren't there now laws being proposed to do exactly that--make it illegal to video police officers?


Actually, many already are in place, sort of. They are usually using wire tapping laws.

There have been quite a few arrests already, though the usual result is that the charges are dropped, after the videographer has been held in jail, and often the camera goes missing from evidence, or is simply never returned.

A few of the charges have stayed, leaving people to be charged with felony wire tapping.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 12:16, Dreadnought wrote:
Anytime a police officer, sheriff's deputy or any other law enforcement officer has to use hands on force it will seem excessive. People don't see the resisting the officer side. "Place your hands behind your back is a simple command." If followed a lot of stuff can be avoided. We have a court of law, that is where any disagreement with the police action can be contested. In public is not the place to do so.


By "in public" I'm guessing you mean other than the "public" trial.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Yes
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
At the very least, this was one of the worst examples of how to diffuse a potential problem I have ever seen. We may not yet be a police state, but at least the police are training for it. Shameful, really...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Choked by cops for dancing at Jefferson Memorial??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL