The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Smooth as a Handkerchief? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
That's Beautiful Sonny! Thanks for that.

Pete
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Brody wrote: "I had a group of kids actually ask, 'Who even carries those anymore?'"

That to me states unequivocally that the kids know that at one time "those" things were actually used by people. True, the kids may think that handkerchiefs and scarves are anachronistic. In this age of electronic video games, they probably think that marbles and checkers are anachronistic, too. BUT they probably know what marbles and checkers are. (Do you think that kids who watched the movie "Hook" were clueless when the characters talked about "losing marbles"? I doubt it.)

I think it is an insult to kids' intelligence to say that they don't recognize a handkerchief when they see one.

I just looked up "handkerchief" on amazon.com and there were 1,130 hits. So somebody is still selling them.
----- Sonny Narvaez
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
I have used my sleeve mosy of the time....... So now I think I will do the vanishing or color changing sleeve...LOL I have to go with Anatole on this one, I think most audiences will go with the flow, and not take the time to ask what is a handkercheif or a silk. They don't care they just enjoy the effect. " if it is done entertaining" if you hold it out and proclaim it a silk or hanky or whatever. They just believe you and go on. Perhaps the only time this may make a difference is when the pro's are setting around and discussing an effect, and they may state something to the effect that a silk may be best because if its slick , or light weight properties and it will help with technicalities. even maybe having to use a Hanky due to the weight that may be needed for an effect to be done. As long as the statement fits the effect of the moment.... Go with it.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I always say hanky. Seems to work.
Life of Magic!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I think it kind of depends on how you are using the silk. I put my in my breast pocket and call it a pocket hanky. If you use large colorful ones, then you can call it a scarf or even a silk scarf. But, please don't call a nylon scarf a silk. I have heard this so many times it makes me flinch. I think it's a habit magicians get into. If anything, I think it's worse to say "foulard" to lay audiences. When you do, they just scratch their heads.

As far as what's proper; anything that will carry the message to the audience. If they know what a silk is, then a silk is fine. If they look at you like an elderly person watching Lady Gaga, then maybe you should change it.
Markgician
View Profile
New user
The Story Circle Philippines
59 Posts

Profile of Markgician
Thanks everyone, after a lot of patience and research, I finally can roll silks into a bundle, thanks a lot guys! You're the best! Best wishes to all of you!

-Markgician of the Philippines
#TheStoryCircle
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hey themarkgician,

I think you may have posted in the wrong thread.

I think you want this in "Need help on loading Silks".

-Mary Mowder
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I think the term that one would use for silks/handkerchiefs/bandanas/hankys/scarves/etc. clearly depends on the venue in which you are performing. As pointed out by Mary Mowder and some others, one group may know what a bandana is but not a hanky, and this can also vary from region to region in any given country. I have even heard them called blow rags by some people from parts of the U.S. If you use the term scarf for an older crowd, they may be thinking of the type they always wore on the head, whilst a younger crowd may envision the type that goes around your neck in cold weather.

Anatole hit the mark with the post about the interpretation side of the lay audience. As per my style, when I introduce a silk and because of the types of effects I do with them, I often say something along the lines of, "For this, I will use a silken handkerchief, or a scarf, if you will/as it were..." I have never had trouble with this because it leaves it open for the audience to interpret it in their own way without being wrong.

As to what Sonny was quoting about the Japanese nose-blowing etiquette: This is very true, and not only in Japan. Many other countries like France, parts of China, Italy and Monaco, if one has to blow their nose, they retire to a semi-private area (such as a restroom) to blow their nose, wash their hands and return.

Do not get me wrong: I still carry an actual handkerchief with me everytime I put on any sort of formal wear - which normally acts as a cleaner for my glasses or a sweat mop and on very rare occasion, for it actual intended purpose.

Just my two cents.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Down here in the land of high humidity (Florida), everyone carries handkerchiefs. The office workers carry white cotton, while those who labor outdoors all carry the red and blue bandanas. I work every show with one of the large red bandanas hanging out of my right pants pocket. I get darned hot in my costume this time of year, and that big ol cotton cloth helps a bunch. Nothing like sweat getting on your glasses in the middle of a routine, LOL !

When I produce the silken items in question, I always refer to them as "silk handkerchiefs". No one ever seems confused, and I work from preschool age audiences up to nursing home age audiences....

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Smooth as a Handkerchief? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL