We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Kub Zag latch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of GrassosMagicTheatre
Where can I find these latches to my Mini Kub Zag door?
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
That looks hand made to me. Looks like it's just a piece of stiff trimmed leather trapped beneath the knob/handle. That could be replicated from any kind of stiff left-over material from leather to metal to plastic.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

It's not hand made. It's metal, not leather.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Looks pretty rough for anything machine stamped. Anyway, it could be made out of just about anything stiff and thin in 10 minutes or less.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

I don't want to make it. I just want to know if anyone out there knows where this is supplied, so I can match the ones I already have.

By the way, it's covered with a vinyl in the photo.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Well, if you can't see a way to make it yourself, over here is something a bit nicer:

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/latches/......895.html

Here's the latch home page:

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/latches_700.html
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's a type of bar latch, although I've never seen one like yours. I did a brief image search and didn't run across anything that matches. You could do a more extensive search if you want, but for my time, I'd be more inclined to replace them all with a different style that does the same thing.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I agree, Michael. I looked for images too. If you look closely at the left side of the bar, where it touches the small locking knob, you can clearly see the sharp points and edges that appear to be hand filed. If that's a stamped piece, it's gotta be the worst example I've ever seen. The whole arrangement -- bar, knobs, etc. -- looks old school DIY.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Here's another photo: Anyone?

This is a Chalet Kub Zag. I just can't get a hold of George Kimmery. It is far from DIY. I'm just looking to replace 1 of the 3 that's on there.

Click here to view attached image.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
All opinions as to quality aside, I don't know about Michael, but I spent 20 mins of my morning doing a search on your behalf, as well as providing links that I thought could help.

You're welcome.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
It looks like it is a piece of aluminum flat bar, with a notch drilled/cut out of it and a hole drilled in the center to mount it. Then covered with vinyl or Tuff-Cote, which George uses on his props.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

I am familiar with using Google Images to search for similar latches. I figured I would post on the Café, hoping someone would know the actual piece of hardware used. Thank you.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Quote:
On 2011-05-31 14:09, David Garrity wrote:
It looks like it is a piece of aluminum flat bar, with a notch drilled/cut out of it and a hole drilled in the center to mount it. Then covered with vinyl or Tuff-Cote, which George uses on his props.

No, David, that would make it hand made, which we have been told is not possible. I mean, come on, the guy building a custom cabinet isn't going to know how to drill and file a piece of left over bar stock, now is he? Get real! It has to be store bought, there's just no other possible explanation.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
This probably won't help you, but here is a photo of a Kub Zag that I refinished for a friend. It has brass slide latches. Would you be interested in replacing the old ones?

Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

I actually like those. I am most concerned about the speed of the unlatch. I think those would do great. Thanks, Clinton.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
GMT,

First off, welcome to the Café. Smile

Secondly, I can understand your frustration, but these guys know their stuff. Besides getting in touch with Chalet to see about getting a replacement, your best bet is to either fashion one yourself or take the advice offered and choose new latches.
This is the closest I've found - could you possibly use the lever as a replacement? You could easily attach a knob and coat it with a flat-black paint, if you wish to have them resemble the old ones.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
It is a two hole strap that you can buy at any home center. One of the holes is notched with a jig saw with a metal blade.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

I actually contacted Smoky Mountain Magic and Dan suggested the slide latches also. Chalet has licensed him exclusively to produce the Kub Zag.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1432 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Sometimes it's easier to go straight to the source. Smile By the way... Great Job on AGT Michael.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Kub Zag latch (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL