The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Houston...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
Could anyone say whether anyone is busking -- or recommend any ideal locations -- in the Houston area?

Thanks in advance!

Tim Smile
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
djmick
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of djmick
Have you considered the Kima boardwalk?
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
Good idea. Although, I haven't been there yet (just returned to Texas after several years out-of-state), it sounds like a possible venue. For that matter (now that you've got me thinking in that direction), Galveston and/or Freeport might offer some opportunities.

Thanks,
Tim Smile
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
robsigns
View Profile
New user
Southern California
72 Posts

Profile of robsigns
The Kemah Boardwalk is a great place to busk. It is, however, private property and you have to go through the management to do it. There's a juggler that performs there regularly and a local magician that goes out there from time to time.

Galveston also has a street that I've seen street performers. I forget the name of the street, but it's a tourist part of the city, a few blocks from the beach. There's an Army Surplus store right there. They also have a "Shakespeare" weekend thing in late November or December that you could probably do a period costume type thing at.

You might check with one of the two magic clubs in Houston. The IBM Ring (Ring 39) and the SAM Assembly (#19) are both good clubs and very active.
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
The Strand is the place in Galveston. The "Shakespeare Weekend" is actually a Dickens weekend called "Dickens on the Strand." They regulate the performers there very strictly.

In Houston, there is Martha Hermann Square, which is right in front if City Hall. When George Hermann died, he left the square to the city as a memorial to his late wife. The special provision he put on the land was that no one could ever be told to move along on that land. So you can busk to your heart's content there. There is just one problem. Every homeless person in the country has heard of this place and they know the law. So they hang out there, too. Your crowd may not have much money!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Kemah boardwalk and the Aquarium district in downtown Houston are both owned by Tillman Fertita. Part of the magic activities on the boardwalk are pretty well sewed up by Mike T.

John's analysis of the situation at Martha Hermann Sqaure is spot on. The place is filled with bums. That's because it is in front of City Hall. There are lots of homeless people there, too. Smile

The same is true of the Dickens on the Strand. It's a madhouse. I worked it for about 8 years. You have to go through the Galveston Historical Society to get a job there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well, you could practise drawing a crowd and see if you can get cigaretes from them. Sound too weird?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
783 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2003-08-16 07:37, Magic Tim wrote:
Freeport might offer some opportunities.

Thanks,
Tim Smile

If anyone is going to be in Freeport or Lake Jackson, Texas please let me know!
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Speaking of TX, does anyone know if there is any busking in San Antonio? My brother lives there and I will probably be visiting sometime soon.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
James Foster
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of James Foster
Quote:
On 2004-05-21 01:22, JamesinLA wrote:
Speaking of TX, does anyone know if there is any busking in San Antonio? My brother lives there and I will probably be visiting sometime soon.

Jim

Well, if you go between now and the end of September, be prepared to work in very hot conditions (it's already in the mid-90s in central Texas).

Good luck.

All the best,

James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in Houston...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL