The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » New to blockhead (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blackguyver
View Profile
New user
Parts unknown
18 Posts

Profile of blackguyver
Hey, I was referred to this forum by a friend. I am new to the blockhead trick. My friend told me of a guy who makes them from special steel. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hello and welcome Blackguyver,,,,Im sure we would be more than happy to engage with you when you have introduced yourself,,,!

Ken.
blackguyver
View Profile
New user
Parts unknown
18 Posts

Profile of blackguyver
Hey, my bad. My name is Theo and I am new to performing, just learned the blockhead and would like to learn more. I notice there are no African American (or UK) sideshow performers. Why is that? Unless you want me to dress up like a primitive with a bone thru my nose? Seems historically corrct but WAY too racists for todays audience. I don't have a stage name yet, but I like "Blackguyver" (stole it from the movie "Losers). I once saw a b&w photo of a black performer with both nostrils being blockheaded. I heard he bent the nails with a claw hammer while in his head.

Thanks for the welcome. So who makes the nail? You, ken?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The Great Nippulini makes the best nails in the world to stick up your nose! After I started using them I won't use anything else.
http://www.greatnippulini.com/smithin.html
I would not say that there are no African American sideshow performers...Just not many of them. Don't know the reason for it though. Of course, I don't know of any Asian sideshow performers either...
That is a puzzle indeed!
Gwyd
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Oh...And welcome!
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Jack Constantine has about a dozen or so black employees on his sideshow crew, some are performers and some are laborers and some are management.
John Strong has some black performers as well.
One of the most successful sideshow impresarios of the past was Clarence Samuels who put out everything from single-o shows to full fledged musical revues. He was a black man.

So, be optimistic, the sideshow world is your oyster.
And welcome!

( To Gwyd: Takeshi Yamada!)
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
I am 1/10th asian but only by my stage name, of course I didn't know my father... But that again is a totally different topic.
Lurchenstien
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, UK
49 Posts

Profile of Lurchenstien
I'll echo what Gwyd says about Nippulini's nails, I've one myself, and a drill bit, they're great. A few other blockheads in the group I'm with like the nail I have, so they've had me order some nails from Nippulini, I've also ordered another nail for myself, and a hook, which I can't wait to get hold of.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
There is certainly no shortage of sideshow performers in the UK if that is what you meant.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 11:42, petekoloz wrote:

( To Gwyd: Takeshi Yamada!)

He isn't a performer though! Well, maybe he is... I take that back.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Quote:
On 2011-06-01 10:48, blackguyver wrote:
I once saw a b&w photo of a black performer with both nostrils being blockheaded. I heard he bent the nails with a claw hammer while in his head.

Leo Kongee? He did a pincushion/blockhead type act.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Um, Ken (Kondini) is a UK performer.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I can think of a number of others, a couple of whom show up here occasionally.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
I think he meant:
"I notice there are no African American (or [Afro] UK) sideshow performers."
Meaning that there are no black performers among the UK sideshow set as well as the US.
As far as the US, there have been and currently are black sideshow performers but not nearly enough.

(Brett: I think Takeshi is many things, and none. Strikes me as inscrutable.)
blackguyver
View Profile
New user
Parts unknown
18 Posts

Profile of blackguyver
Yes, I meant black UK performers. In this day and age, I know some people can be sensitive with the word "black". Most people who freak out about being politically correct are white. I didn't mean carnival workers, I was being more specific to performers. I have researched, I don't see any on TV or internet. I'm not trying to start a controversy (heck, I'm too new for that!), just an observation.

BTW, I checked out the nipple guys website, all I can say is "ouch"!
petekoloz
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of petekoloz
Blackguyver:
Here is a youtube video that will show some black performers from a few years ago in Coney Island.
There is a part 2 link when you finish part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fdYlvOEu......embedded

Yes,we whites can be uncomfortable using the word black when describing
others but it is really all about conditioning, isn't it?
I figure as long as your discussing things intelligently and your intent is
is respectable, no harm in it.

As for opportunities as a black sideshow performer, I see it as wide open.
The marketplace (fairs) is certainly receptive to it.
From what I've seen at certain fairs that have a predominantly black attendance,
a sideshow featuring an illustration of a black person on its front will gross big bucks.
Combine that with the fact that there are relatively few black performers and I'd say that
you are in a fairly advantageous position.

I hope you find these thoughts encouraging.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There's a great black performer in Germany named Indio. He is originally from Coney Island. And historically there have been a lot of black performers in the sideshow. Otis Jordan, Earl "Presto" Johnson, Charlie "Woo Foo" Lucas and his wife, Prince Arthur and Princess Lala, Popeye Perry, Betty Lou Williams are just a handful off the top of my head.
blackguyver
View Profile
New user
Parts unknown
18 Posts

Profile of blackguyver
Just got my stainless steel blockhead nail yesterday. It is simply amazing. The finish is so hihgly polished I can see myself in it! It slides in SO easily, I am very happy with it. I know someone who works at a hospital and they will be able to sterilize it in an autoclave. Nippolini told me regular nails would rust if you tried to do that.

Sorry if this thread got turned into a racial thing, not my intent. I'll be honest though, I searched through the site for Nippolini and saw some pretty harsh things being said about him. I can undestand why he left.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I'm glad you got one of Nipps nails and that it suits your needs. He is a great guy.

And the Magic Café is like a large swap meet. There's a lot of stuff here of little use, some just bad stuff and a few treasures. You just have to dig a bit to find the gems.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You might notice that the guy who was saying harsh things is no longer here.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » New to blockhead (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL