We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Vinyl Car Wraps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of GrassosMagicTheatre
Has anyone thought of using one of those vinyl car wraps to cover an illusion?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2418 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That printed vinyl product can be used to wrap a car, van, bus or prop. The size and shape of the prop just needs to be defined for the graphics people to figure out the overlaps and positioning. Keep in mind that it doesn't do as well with each open joint or opening. Solid surfaces do really well... props with a lot of moving components not so much.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
For what you'd spend on one of those wraps.. design, printing and aplication.. you could hire a good scenic painter to do it in Enamel.

The surface has to be smooth anyway, as every piece of dust and bubble would show... so you might as well have it painted.

With the advances in digital printing.. it seems that prop painting is going the way of billboard painting did in India in the last decade. I was in awe when I was in India in 1999 that ALL the billboards were hand painted.. and they were beautiful. Now, they're all done in photoshop... and sadly, it looks like anyone with a computer has designed them. They show no graphic design artistry at all. Just because you HAVE a program on your computer, doesn't mean you can USE the program on the computer.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

How about calendered vinyl signs? I was a fine arts major and graphic designer. I just want to be able to cover the props with the graphics I designed using sturdy material.
GrassosMagicTheatre
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

For example, the graphic on the front of a Kub Zag measures 23 x 36. Can I print a 24 x 36 poster on calendered vinyl and mount it on there? What are your thoughts? Any less expensive printing solutions?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I have seen it done and it looked pretty good.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22506 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-06-02 10:21, GrassosMagicTheatre wrote:
For example, the graphic on the front of a Kub Zag measures 23 x 36. Can I print a 24 x 36 poster on calendered vinyl and mount it on there? What are your thoughts? Any less expensive printing solutions?

I stopped by a graphic sign company. He made a lot of large graphic displays. He told me he could only print 30" wide. So you would have to have an overlap for the extra 6".
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2418 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-06-07 23:35, wmhegbli wrote:
I stopped by a graphic sign company. He made a lot of large graphic displays. He told me he could only print 30" wide. So you would have to have an overlap for the extra 6".

No, you would rotate the print image the other way and print a 36" run with bleed on the sides you could trim to 23".
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22506 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ray, you more about it then I do. I found it surprising the guy refused to consider making a backdrop for me. He had all kinds of displays in his show room, that would fit for my purposes, but he said he only works through marketing companies and for firms like McDonalds. Weird! As he was only a one man shop.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2418 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
You just need a different vendor! There are plenty of shops that do this. If not local... you can email your graphcs to them in another state and they can fedex back your product. Just shop it around and get the best deal!
Ray Pierce
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1432 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Applying vinyl graphics to illusions works really well. I owned a Modern Art illusion and sold it to Scott Anderson. He took it and turned it into the "hurt locker" illusion, which fits the military theme of his show. In this video if him performing it on America's Got Talent, you can see what it looks like.

It was really inexpensive, and it looks great. As far as how well it holds up... it's been a year since it's been done, and after tons of shows it still looks great. As Ray mentioned, solid surfaces work the best. Curves, corners and moving parts will definitely cause issues.

Here is what it looks like..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxBzFN9UlA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Vinyl Car Wraps (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL