The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Minority Report type crime prevention? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea is that they did not see what you thought, only what you WILL do. They are "precogs". They are preventing a certain event, not acting upon something someone thought of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The short story is, IMHO more clever than the movie.
here's a link to the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minority_Report
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 21:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea is that they did not see what you thought, only what you WILL do. They are "precogs". They are preventing a certain event, not acting upon something someone thought of.


I do get that. But they still haven't DONE anything yet.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 05:50, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 21:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea is that they did not see what you thought, only what you WILL do. They are "precogs". They are preventing a certain event, not acting upon something someone thought of.


I do get that. But they still haven't DONE anything yet.


Also, the very fact that they are able to change the future by arresting the individual shows that, in the world of the book/film, the future is not set in stone, thus implying it is possible they could change and not do what they were going to do.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 05:50, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 21:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea is that they did not see what you thought, only what you WILL do. They are "precogs". They are preventing a certain event, not acting upon something someone thought of.


I do get that. But they still haven't DONE anything yet.


Also, the very fact that they are able to change the future by arresting the individual shows that, in the world of the book/film, the future is not set in stone, thus implying it is possible they could change and not do what they were going to do.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Man dude your posts are DEFINATELY not worth doing twice.

Ed, Glenn, let me break it to you slowly. IT IS FICTION. HECK SCIENCE FICTION. It is not happening in the real world. I mean those hover thingies they had, the suspended animation, the cars, NONE OF THAT EXISTS EITHER.

Now that we are all on the same page, ummm they only see what you WILL do. IT IS A SHORT STORY. Have you really run out of "Cop shoots man for $3.98 car wash ticket" stories that you have to extend your hatred for authority to imaginary movie/short story cops?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Danny, what the hell are you ranting about? I was just reiterating part of the point/idea of the story. Man you love to assume you know exactly why I say anything I say.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it is sort of baseless. It is not as if you bring every conversation around to anarchy and why you hate authority government and cops is it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
No Danny, you simply can't look past the anarchism, and your assertions about me having "hate," that YOU bring them up almost every time I post.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 05:50, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 21:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
The idea is that they did not see what you thought, only what you WILL do. They are "precogs". They are preventing a certain event, not acting upon something someone thought of.


I do get that. But they still haven't DONE anything yet.


You're still missing the central idea. The precogs perceive reality in a way that includes future(s) dependent upon actions that have not taken place yet in what the rest of us experience by way of our senses. Like chess players perceive the pieces on the board and discuss where things are going in a few moves.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 09:44, Dannydoyle wrote:
Man dude your posts are DEFINATELY not worth doing twice.

Ed, Glenn, let me break it to you slowly. IT IS FICTION. HECK SCIENCE FICTION. It is not happening in the real world. I mean those hover thingies they had, the suspended animation, the cars, NONE OF THAT EXISTS EITHER.

Now that we are all on the same page, ummm they only see what you WILL do. IT IS A SHORT STORY. Have you really run out of "Cop shoots man for $3.98 car wash ticket" stories that you have to extend your hatred for authority to imaginary movie/short story cops?


I have no hatred for cops fictional or otherwise. I am aware I'm discussing a movie based on a short story. I'm just pointing out what I think is a flaw in the story. You want to stop the guy? Great. But I don't think he should be punished to the degree for what he was planning to do.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you would take the time to understand the precogs do not see what you are thinking of doing. They see the results of the choices you will make. Precog is short for precognition, or FUTURE SIGHT. They see what WILL HAPPEN, so the point is that it is already a result of choices you will make.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 12:08, Dannydoyle wrote:
If you would take the time to understand the precogs do not see what you are thinking of doing. They see the results of the choices you will make. Precog is short for precognition, or FUTURE SIGHT. They see what WILL HAPPEN, so the point is that it is already a result of choices you will make.


I get that. I really do. I also get stopping the guy. But the event he's being punished for actually didn't happen!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 12:12, ed rhodes wrote:... But the event he's being punished for actually didn't happen!


you're getting closer. For the precogs - who live in an extended realty - it did happen and they reported it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 12:27, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 12:12, ed rhodes wrote:... But the event he's being punished for actually didn't happen!


you're getting closer. For the precogs - who live in an extended realty - it did happen and they reported it.


NOW we have someone who read the short story.

They bite about the edges of it in the movie. Obviously they do not make it clear enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The movie was more about getting to choose, a question of free will.
Even the "lowlife" he went to go get new eyes.
What did the main character presume that guy chose - and based upon what perceptions?
;)
IMHO the movie is simply a different voyage of discovery than the short story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Minority Report type crime prevention? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL