The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Electronic Magic Books -- a problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
As magicians, we are inherently visual beings. Our magical education through books involves more than the knowledge we see on the page. Our memory of the cover, the location of certain pieces in the book, the feel of the pages, the smell of an older book, the location of it on our magic shelf all play into our senses and stay with us forever. Our ability to recall the location of a particular effect in a book is that much easier when more synapses fire in the same direction because of all this sense memory.

I've been reading a number of downloaded books in electronic versions and the information is there, but being able to recall where something is, who it is attributed to, and how to locate it becomes very difficult. The combination of sense memory is lost. The similarity in how all these e-books are displayed makes them "all the same". I wonder if this has something to do with why many young magicians abandon the written word for videos.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2258 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Of couse! There is nothing that can ever compare to the tactile sensation of the printed word in book form. By the same token, for many books I've already read, I love having a digital copy for reference on my ipad when I travel. There is a reason for both and can't they co-exist?
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I have a large library of physical books and whenever I need to locate some old effect I remember, I enjoy paging through them because I often see other effects I want to pursue. Sometimes, however, this can be a distraction and I go off the original search in a different direction.

I have an equally huge collection of e-Books on my computer, and I love not having to go paging through them when searching for something I remember in one of them; my computer's search engine does the work for me in seconds, with no distractions.

So I agree with Ray, that there is a reason for both and in my world, they co-exist with no problem. I still buy both physical books and e-books I find of interest, putting one on my crowded book shelves after reading, and the other in my uncrowded harddrive, indexed and ready for searches.

I think the reason many young people seem to have abandoned reading for videos has more to do with undeveloped reading habits; they rarely read for enjoyment, getting all enjoyment from movies made from books and this carries over into magic.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
My family is getting me a Kindle for Father's Day. I specifically chose the Kindle over the Nook because Amazon has the Original Tarbell course available in digital format, as well as several other magic books, whereas Nook (Barnes and Noble) did not.

I like this idea because of the amount of travel I do for my full-time job. I can always have my library with me (and if you have Tarbell, you have the basis for much of today's magic).

It is also easier and light to carry.

Many times when I travel to a conference or trade show, I pack to or three books in my carry-on, with the plans to read in my "free" time. It rarely happens, and I always get ticked that I made my bag much heavier to carry through the airport.

With e-books, it's no big deal.

Just a thought.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
No
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
I love both electronic and print books but it seems like I end up printing a lot of pages out of the electronic ones anyway. Sometimes it would have been cheaper to buy in print to start with.

Mike
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
507 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Well I'm 14 years old so easily fit into the category of the e-book video theory 11 ellusionist category..... except I'm not , I cant stand e-books, I havent bough one and never will , because in ten years time when I want to look back at a trick in my e-book it wont be there , I wont have the book forever you know,,, when I'm 80 years old all the books on my shelf at the moment I'm still going to have them all!

I don't have many magic dvds because in time dvds will be out and they will be useless, so yeah, evenn though I'm young I still only buy real books
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"i think the reason many young people seem to have abandoned reading for videos has more to do with undeveloped reading habits; they rarely read for enjoyment, getting all enjoyment from movies made from books and this carries over into magic. "

I must have missed this older generation that immerses itself in reading and other high-brow pursuits. There seem to be about as many 50 year old dolts and 20 year old dolts.
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
Can you do keyword searches on the electronic version? If so, it seems it might be easier to locate information in the electronic version.

-Max
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
89 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
Kudos to you SimonG. I hope your magic library fills up with great books in the next 66 years.
escherwolf
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of escherwolf
I don't buy a lot of ebooks, and if they are useful to me, I usually print them out and get them professionally bound (here in Australia, I use Officeworks). You can find great stuff in ebooks, and some of them aren't available to buy in any print version. I prefer print materials, but I don't want to miss out on great material simply because it is only distributed as an ebook. Even now I am working through an effect in Duffie's Celtic Cabal - much better to use in a printed, bound volume than the original ebook version.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Electronic Magic Books -- a problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL