The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
I am thinking of buying either of these items. I know they are a different size, but I presume they use the same method. How well do they perform and stand up to examination? I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience of either or both of them. Thanks!
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I have a telekinetic timber. I actually end my stand up mentalism show with it. It always gets a gasp as it falls over then I kind of stumble off stage since all my energy was just drained by moving the block with "my mind".

I then come back on take my bows and its a pleaser everytime. But it terms of examination my is perfect. Mine is a Bob Kochs telekinetic timber put out by Palmer magic. I am not sure of the price as it was a gift from another mind reader friend of mine. But what ever it cost it is worth the price. It looks as ordinary as you can get.

The instruction sheet actually suggest things like rubbing dirt on it and things like that to make it really look as though it is an old block of wood that came out of a workshop or something. It works everytime. So there is no worry with that. All I can say is again it is wel wotrh every penny. Smile Smile
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Same method but the Telekinetic Timber is the original, the other is an inferior knock-off. Go with the original.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Quote:
On 2002-04-26 02:49, kris attard wrote:
I am thinking of buying either of these items. I know they are a different size, but I presume they use the same method. How well do they perform and stand up to examination? I would appreciate hearing anyone's experience of either or both of them. Thanks!
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Kris,

Telekinetic Timber will stand up to the closest scrutiny, short of its destruction. It's a creepy effect when used properly.

Jim
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Telekinetic Timber works with a timing principle, but you don't have to be anywhere near it when it falls.
The Block (Chazpro?) falls whenever you want it to, but you have to be sitting at the table (or a stooge does)
Both are good effects within their own right, but you have to figure out what performance situation you will be using and use the prop that fits your situation the best.
But (sorry Paul, no offense) they are not done by the same method.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Thanks, all of you! Your info has been very useful, I appreciate your input.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
May I suggest Banacheks PK Pen, a nice ordinary prop (Bic Pen) that is equally effective.

Regards,

Luke.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Thanks, Luke. I had a PK pen years ago (made by someone else) but it got damaged and made a mess! Yes, it's a good prop, but I imagine the PK timber to be a stronger item for a stand up show. The pen is great for close-up or informal occasions. I'll think about it though.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-04-26 13:15, magus wrote:
Telekinetic Timber...The Block...
But (sorry Paul, no offense) they are not done by the same method.

After reading your post, I do stand corrected. I was in a bit of a hurry this am for a conference I was doing and for some reason was thinking of the "knock off" sold by a magic dealer that used a smaller wood block and had his initials stamped on one side to know which end to use.

You are correct about the block but I must say that I still prefer TT over it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I know the one you speak of Paul-
It had some sort of magic logo in addition to the initials didn't it?
A friend had one and I thought that if you got rid of that thing, it would look a lot more "innocent" and my friend said you couldn't take it off- that was where the gimmick had been plugged.
ouch
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Thanks magus. I feel the timber is more to my style. For me it may be less of an 'in-your-pocket item, but probably holds a story better. As for the other block, I can't see myself showing a block with a logo stamped. "I have here an ordinary magical prop..." Smile

Thanks to you too Paul.
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Is it just me, or have any of you guys had, er, 'timing problems' with this? Or even - "oops, it hasn't fallen over at all" problems? I got the effect because I love it, but Reliability is my No 1 requirement, and I just can quite get myself to trust this little number. Any comments would be welcome, as always.

Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The smaller version is called the "Block of Fu Manchu" (I think) and you're right, it has the company logo stamped on the bottom.

However, a little sandpaper removed it quite easily, although if you examine it closely, you can still make out the 'plug' that doesn't match the rest of the grain.

It is nice, however, as a pocket effect for walk-around, although you'll need to come up with a good story to why you're carrying it around with you.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Okay, here is an idea for a routine using the Timber: Get about three of them and then go to a lumber store and make up about a dozen or so that we look the same.

Scorch all the pieces so they look like they were in a fire, but escaped the worse damage. Tell a story about an old haunted house that burnt down. Have a spectator make a simple structure from the blocks.

As you talk about the spirits trapped in the actual house the simple structure will collapse. Just an idea I've been meaning to do.
Have fun.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
If you have on a thread loop, the problem of it not falling over, is no longer a problem. I sometimes 'goof up' my psychokinetic pen, and use a loop as a backup. engage the loop onto the pen and 'pull' it over. The same with the block of wood.

Chad
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
That's a great idea, Greg. I can see it working like that even without the TK timber, just by a thread. Talk can be on a house haunted with poltergeists who even burnt it down. As the scattered pieces are picked up, you put them aside, leaving a stray one of these 'all set'. As you patter into another effect, this timber falls over mysteriously. You look at it, shrug "They're back..."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I thought about thread, too, but I thought it would be nice to have a great distance between me and the house. And the other idea that didn't involve thread or the timber was to have the table that they built the house on covered with a cloth and under the cloth would be a squeeze bulb, like the type in a squirting flower so that you stepped on the other end and the bulb would raise up and knock over the pieces.
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
I would love to have the folding chair for a telekinetic prop. That is if it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure it's probably worth it, though.

Jerry
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Greg, rather than the squirting flower you mean a platelifter which is a gag also available from joke shops. You probably know it, it's a flat rubber bag that inflates when a rubber bulb is pressed (connected by thin a rubber tube).
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Kris, you gave me an added bonus idea... since you talk about the house being burnt down one of the pieces should be loaded with potassium permangenate and another piece should have some glycerin smudged on it. When you hand the two pieces to the spectator they will get the two chemicals to come in contact and Viola! instant fire and smoke....Carol Ann! Carol Ann!!!
Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL