The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Smile tee dee dee dee, tee dee dee dee (imagine the tune from Twilight Zone at this point)
to add icing to the cake, you could 'scrape off' some ash from the wood into a piece of foil, roll into a ball, they hold and of course, begin to feel the heat of the tragedy searing into their flesh!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 18:30, Mr Secret-ary wrote:
Is it just me, or have any of you guys had, er, 'timing problems' with this? Or even - "oops, it hasn't fallen over at all" problems? I got the effect because I love it, but Reliability is my No 1 requirement, and I just can quite get myself to trust this little number. Any comments would be welcome, as always.
Smile

If you are not getting the proper results from the Telekinetic Timber then you are most likely not setting it right. You must set it at it's opposite end for a minimum of aminute to reset the timing. Then it is imperative that you set it leaning at just the correct angle. I find that it is easier to lean it against the bottle so that it is tipping away and then minutely adjust it the other way so that it is almost falling away on it's own but just not quite. Also make sure that the block is facing the bottle in the correct direction, one side will work, the other will not. (Look for the little chip in the one side).

Temperature will have a huge effect on the timing. the warmer the room, the quicker the action. You must learn to routine around it so that as you are making motions for it to fall, it will or as you are talking that it will fall. You will get used to it after a while and if you routine it well enough you will have several places that it will fall and make sense within your routine. (Like in a seance type routine it really doesn't matter when it falls).

Hope that helps,
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Boy, we are getting a full routine here... so who gets the marketing rights?
Smile Smile Smile
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
290 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I got my Telekenetic Timber late last year from Hank Lee's. It was on backorder for months. The guys at Hank Lee's shop said that there was a fire at the place where they make these and it took them months to recover from it to the point where they were producing them again.

I practiced with mine and had disappointing results. Now I've misplaced my instructions, so I'm not sure how to reset it (i.e., which end should be up, and which side should be against the bottle).

Paul, I read your directions above with eagerness hoping it would rectify my lost instructions. Could you elaborate a bit more?

I will also be purchasing the Block (the one with the different method, which is under you're control—the guys at Hank Lee's described the differences in methods before I got the Telekenetic Timber). But, the Block I intend to use as a comedy prop in my kids shows (i.e., have it fall over while I look away).

When my Telekenetic Timber worked, it seemed to take forever. Sometimes it never fell over. Any chance the new batch (post fire) aren't as good? More likely it is the inept operator (i.e., me).

Interesting the "fire" motif with the Telekenetic Timber discussed above given what the guys at Hank Lee said about the fire at the place that made them! Also, I believe the haunted house motif is found in the instructions.

Buy the way, I've looked mine over very carefully in bright light and cannot detect a thing. This is an incredibly gaffed prop that will not be detected by anyone.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Dave, interesting that fire story. I guess this will be one of those rare occasions when the dramatic patter yarn we spin can actually have some truth in it! Smile I am interested in the problems you had with it, because I live in a hot country. Has anyone had similar doubts about their block purchased more recently? About The Block, how close do you have to be to 'operate' it?
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
My understanding is that the "mechanics" of the Telekinetic Timber have been refined slightly, making it a tad more dependable but also making it take just a tad longer to fall. However, they are not all identical so you have to get to know your block... some fall sooner than others.
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Only one question : does your block really look like a real antic wood block ?

Because I think it's difficult enought to justify the fact we have a wooden block in our pocket... but moreover if it look's like an IKEA arm chair people will think it's gimmicked (even if they don't see the gimmick).
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
The Telekinitic Timber looks like just a plain, ordinary, unfinished block of light-colored wood.

Some folks like to get theirs nice and dirty, maybe a bit stained, to support the story that it was sawn from the structural lumber of a demolished haunted house.

Wes Schield has the devious suggestion that a magician, prior to a public show, go to a lumber yard and have a matching block of wood cut there "to use in the show" and give out a free ticket or two to those folks who helped him. Then you can talk during your presentation on how you got a chunk of wood cut for the show at such-and-such lumber and have the guy in the audience verify it. I thought that was wonderfully underhanded Smile
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Thank you !
This is a very good idea to introduce a block of wood in magic show.

It seems that everybody agree that Tannen' telekinetic timber is the bsst on the market !... So let's go Smile
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I have 3 and I am looking for 5 more
(But the ones that work...)

Just an idea : you can burn a word on one of the sides and hide it in the show,
then take a lighter or a laser pen and
do your shtick.
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
142 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
Here is a routine idea I have been bouncing in my head for a few years....I doubt I will ever actually perform it, but wanted to know what you guys think...

I talk about how I had a little brother when I was growing up. He was about a year younger than me. Now, growing up, I LOVED to play with my building blocks. My younger brother LOVED to knock down my creations. I used to get really mad when he would do this. Then one day, he died in his sleep. The doctors could not figure out what happened to him. After the mourning period, I would go back to playing with my blocks...and nobody was there to knock them down. However, every now and again when I think about him, I get the funny feeling he is still around...watching me...encouraging me...and (The block falls) knocking down my blocks.

That is a ROUGH outline/concept...what do you guys think?
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Steve Shaw (Banachek) uses a similar kind of story, about a deceased but 'still hanging around' uncle, as a build up for his Psychokinetic Touches routine, where a spectator feels a ghostly tap. This is a real scarer for people. It occurred to me that using the Timber can enhance this routine immensely.
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
142 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
That was kind of the impetus for my routine. "Touches" is another routine I would LOVE to try!!
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Nice variation Knightmagic...interesting idea...

Thank for sharing.

Take care

kuffs
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

Bruce Barnett published an excellent routine using TKTimber as a childs block in Bascom Jones' Magic. In the routine, he proposes several interesting ways of stacking the blocks. Definitely a good routine to peruse.

Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
Hal Weaver
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hal Weaver
Friends,

Is there a way the Timber could be introduced in some less artificial way than, "I just found this dirty piece of wood at the constructions site across the street"? Or, "I just happen to have a piece of wood that is involved in some way with a ghost." None of these approaches strike me as particularly convincing.

Could it -- and maybe another piece of wood or two -- perform some "normal" function in the act, as part of a stand supporting another prop, for example?

Then it could be brought into play as you search for something to demonstrate "the force of thought","PK" , or whatever.

It it too late a night for me to do any serious thinking about this idea.

Hal
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I think that we use the timber because it
can fall down.
It will be better to use a mobile phone
or a coke can or a pen or a fork.
I will use the blooks in Stonehinge.

If the blook is a very small part of your show it wont make any harm if you don't have the
right wording for it.They will forget about it very soon but will remeber the effcet itself.
Lior
kapu media
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of kapu media
A long time ago, in the 50's, there used to be a little highly polished all-black plastic man - about four inches tall - dressed like a magician in tux and top hat. He was kind of bent slightly at the waist. Same principle as the Block and the Timber. You turned the little man upside down to reset - then stood him up - the timing was less than a minute - and then he'd fall down. I loved this guy when I was a kid. Anybody remember him? I'd sure like to get my hands on one. It was beautifully made - the plastic looked more like black marble. And there was something slightly metaphoric about this little magician being made to fall down - by the mind of the big magician. Thanks.
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
Did you know, that the late Robert Harbin was the "father" of the trick. In the book "HARBINCADABRA" are various models clearly described. My favourite is "Stonehenge", which you find in the book as well.

I use something else to make it work. It´s reliable and the timing is ALWAYS right. If you set it for example to 30 seconds, the block will fall EXACTLY after the time has ellapsed. You can give away the block afterwards, it´s not prepared in any way!
You can be miles away, when it topples over....!!!

With the "Telekinetic Timber" (I think Jeff Busby was selling that first) the legendary "PUNX" had a beautiful routine. That was filmed once in my appartement many years ago and maybe, I`ll put that on a video-tape in the not so far future.

Any Questions? Feel free to ask!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
Ted--

Is your method of performing it in 30 seconds unprepared currently available?

Would be greatly interested in your insights!

Brandon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL