The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello Brandon:

Since five years I have a working model of it, which I use in my own show.It never let me down. If you see the gimmick and you`ll possibly laugh, because it is so logical.

The "apparatus" is something which doesn`t look suspicious at all.

I think, I will manufacture the "machine" and have it for sale in due time.

I found out, that all the "Timbers" reacted to the room temperature and they were not reliable. You had to adjust your patter each and every time and for that reason I found my own solution.

Thank you for listening to me!

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Fred Darevil
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Fred Darevil
Hello,

Just a little idea I used in a show of Bizarre Magick 3 years ago for Halloween :

The block represented a future stake not yet sharpen to be knock in a vampire's heart (I'm not sure my sentence is very clear...).
I introduced then an old bible. I told about an expedition we had with a friend in Paris catacombs.
To summarize : my friend died before he could prepare the stake and the ritual. So I use his bible and stake to summon the spirit of the vampire who killed my friend. I put the bible standing up on a table and the stake lay on the upper side of the bible (my god, my english is awful today !!!). The fall of the stake is interpreted as a sign from the vampire.

After that I showed another manifestation of the vampire : with the Out to lunch principle I put a "blank" card in a participant's hand... after the 1° manifestation of the vampire (the fall of the stake) I asked the vampire to answer one question : does he accept to participate to an experience with us ? He had to answer via the blood of the participant ! He had to enter the body of the person (in transe) and push the blood via the skin pores to write an answer on the blank paper. After that I turned the paper to read the bloody answer on the paper : YES ! The poor participant was so impressed I never did this effect again. I must said that I verbally guided the person to feel strange manifestations in her body.
I'm not totally convinced by the chalk used in spirit slates so I wanted a more direct way to communicate with a spirit : blood ink ! Can you imagine ? The spirit enter your body and push YOUR blood via the pores of your skin to write a message !!!

I often present the Telekinetic Timbler effect but this presentation was the best I ever did. Freaky !

Best,
Fred Darevil

I must add that I used a Ted Lesley subtlety to put the initals of the participant on the blank paper. Very convincing !

Fred
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
Just a follow-up....I purchased what I thought was the Telekinetic Timber...but in reality, it is called Telekinetic Block. While it does work nicely--it is cheaply made--and would be considered suspicious when handled by a spec...so I would strongly not recommend it.

Ted...any word on your version of the effect since your post last October??? Please!!!

LOL

Brandon
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
If I remember my TT was produced by Fedko(or something like that)magic so the initials FM.I never liked the effect since sometimes I was using "all my energy"(!)but never happened.I was so disappointed with it and much more disappointed with a similar effect with similar method called psycho ball.Never think to purchase that ball from magiceffex!I wrote to them since the inner workings of the ball were not working but never received an answer.I threw it immediately as far away I could throw it!
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
The timber is logical if you know how to weave it into your act. I close half of my shows with it and it gets gasps. a recommendation: use it as a test condition closer for a full telekinesis routine, not as a stand alone piece.

Nimrod , Israel
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
68 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
I agree with nimrod above; it is a STUNNING closer of used correctly. When I first saw it performed I watched 500 people literally leap to their feet in a 5 minute standing ovation, and that is when I realized the power of this device. I cannot give the routine that was performed, as it is not mine to repeat, but my suggestion is to do it as a legit demo. Play it straight and serious.
I am whatever I am to you.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
I beleive that are more strong psychokinetic effects than indroducing a weird prop which is allready ready to fall!Anyway,this is my opinion.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
cubreporter
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
68 Posts

Profile of cubreporter
Quote:
On 2003-09-25 09:29, 1908 wrote:
I beleive that are more strong psychokinetic effects than indroducing a weird prop which is allready ready to fall!Anyway,this is my opinion.

It's all in the presentation. What is stronger than causing an object to fall using only the mind? If you do not like it, that is great, do not use it. All opinions are welcome here. Just want to open you to the possibility that maybe it can be great with the right presentation.
I am whatever I am to you.
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
286 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Hi gang,

One tip on resetting the Telekinetic Timber or Poltergeist Block that I have used for years. I make it a point to have the block out of the case and in the room temp for as long as is possible and practical before the show so that the block can acclimate. Plus I also stand the block on alternate ends (just turn it over) several times before the show (and perhaps during the show if I can get to it easily and logically) ending with the proper end being up. This allows the 'works' to get as ready to go as possible. Definitely helps with the timing issue.

Since we're talking about timing, with a prop like this that is, shall we say, somewhat indeterminate, it's always a good idea to have a presentation that is not designed to work to split second timing. If you've got a rather open ended presentation, the block can do it's thing whenever it's ready and the presentation is no worse for wear. I know of several performers (myself included) who use this exact gambit and it works like a charm.

I'll be publishing my routine in my next bizarre book, probably next year sometime. I've used it in my straight magic shows as well as bizarre shows and seances to great effect. It's a worker!

Hope this helps.

Mark Strivings
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I'm curious. How long an overall "lifespan" have people found their Telekinetic Timbers to have? I've had one for nearly 20 years and it is still tipping like the day I brought it home from the haunted house.

But then, while every other flourescent light bulb in my house has burnt out more times than I can count, the one in my garage, which gets inadvertently left on FAR more than any other in my home, has NEVER out in over ten years! Now that is haunting.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Bob Koch originally manufactured the TT himself, and sold it thru Jeff Busby. He then went into business with Bill Whittington and opened Golden Gate Magic in San Francisco. They manufactured and sold the TT. I bought Bob out and Bill and I continued to sell TT. When we finally closed GGM Palmer Tilden bought the rights to all our products and now manufactures the TT, exactly as it has always been made. It is a sealed system, that, barring you breaking it open or sawing it in half, should work forever. It is room temperature sensitive. The trick is based on an idea of Robert Harbins, and has appeared in print in a different form. If you work with the prop for a bit you will become familiar with the idiosyncracies of the particular block you own, and will develop a procedure that is absolutely reliable. I have used the same block for over 20 years with no trouble.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
130 Posts

Profile of Brandon
Thanks PSC for the info!!

Brandon
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
To continue something I started earlier on this thread: I ended up doing a shadow routine in my stage show... basically, shadows I created go move things or touch people. At one point I put the PK pen on a large jar and aimed the pen's shadow at the wall. I pushed down on the shadow and it fell. That made it more dramatic because I was nowhere near the shadow and the shadow was bigger than the pen so it was more visual. I also had a small TV tray set up at the back of the stage area (always visible) and it had a small house made out of children's blocks. I had a spectator walk to the tray and check to see if anything was attached... there was not. Also I had them stomp around the floor to prove that the vibrations wouldn't knock the blocks over... it didn't. I then put a lamp onto the blocks and it cast a large shadow of all the blocks at the back wall and the shadow also included the TV tray. I walked to the back wall and also stomped on the floor to prove my big frame would not knock them over. I picked up th shadow of the table and all the blocks came tumbling down. Well, I did try this with invisible thread, but found it too hard to set up and be precise and I couldn't have a spectator walk around the table. The easy solution was a larger version of the plate lifter. At the magic shop they sell large rubber spiders that jump by pushing the large bulb that sends air down the rubber tubing and into a rubber bladder under the spider. I bought four of these toys and took away the spider part. I attached two of the rubber tubings togethet to get two sets of very long tubings attached to the bladders. Under the stages carpeting I put the bladders directly under the back legs of the TV tray. The bulbs you press down on were now about twelve feet away from the tray near the back wall. I marked the area where the bulbs were and when I got to the shadow I would press my foot down on the bulbs and the tray would tilt a bit forward and knock all the blocks down. It was quite dramatic and a few of the guys asked how it was done. Now you know.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Anyone know where I can find a video demo of TT?

Went ahead and ordered it. The one I ordered comes from a site where there has been recent paranormal activity. Granted the wood is relatively new, but it was left there while they were building a tripod for some of the measuring equipment.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
743 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Just stumbled on this thread and wanted to add information for others that may also browse in the future.
Bob Koch's Telekinetic Timber is manufactured with permission by Palmer Magic.
They have been making it for a very long time.
I was extremely interested to read Paul Chosse's information as I did not know about Jeff Busby's participation in the beginning.
I purchased Palmer Magic and all the rights to their effects and continue to offer the timbers.
It is an amazing effect and well priced in the market place. In fact my profit margin is quite low.
The appearance of the block is still that of a raw cut off piece of milled 2"x2" lumber.
It is fully examinable and does not use a magnet as some others using multiple blocks.
In the near future I will be offering a stained version.
Since acquiring the rights and learning to manufacture it correctly from the master craftsman who had done it for decades I have found a new fascination with a style of magic I had never explored.
On a recent visit to Rome I found a small magic shop tucked in an alley and on their shelf was a Telekinetic Timber that had to be from the 80's.
I asked to try it, it worked perfectly and when I asked to buy it, they declined my offer, saying it was the one thing not for sale... go figure!

Palmer magic is at http://www.palmermagic.com

-shawn
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Thanks Shawn, I had wanted one of these for a long time and just found one in a shop in Singapore. It's a fantastic addition to my show. Thanks everyone who has contributed their thoughts here. I am interested to know if Ted Leasley ever published the method he spoke of in this thread. Anyone know?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Block and Psychokinetic Timber (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL