The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When is enough ehough . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
. . . when talking about video resolution? I'm looking at some 720p YouTube video and man, it's stunning, maybe too sharp for me. Is there a point of diminishing returns, or will there always be a push to make things even more clear, as with audio?
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
I think enough is enough when the public decides it's enough.

Based on the surging sales of DVD and the lagging sales of Blu Ray, I think the public is ready to rule on this.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Noes!!!! I just got a Blu-Ray player!

Well, to be fair. I got it because my wife own a 2-disc blu-ray set of the live-action "Deathnote" movies and wants to watch them.
My anniversary is Thursday, she has Dialysis that day. When she comes home, it will be set up waiting for her.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
One benefit of even higher resolution is for those who like 3d content, especially with glasses-free methods. The lenticular lenses or blocking grids actually only show half of the total vertical resolution to each eye. So if you want 720p to each eye, then double the lines are needed. Same with if you want 1080p to each eye.

The only other benefit is if you had really high resolution like 4k cinema, then you can sit a couple feet away from the screen and not see the pixels. But who would really do that...
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The public HAS ruled. My Blu Ray is almost as clear as looking out my window!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-06-03 23:21, landmark wrote:
. . . when talking about video resolution? I'm looking at some 720p YouTube video and man, it's stunning, maybe too sharp for me. Is there a point of diminishing returns, or will there always be a push to make things even more clear, as with audio?

a few well chosen words can often replace much show that truly reveals little more than skin pores and intimate details of oils and cleanliness.

now if you want an immersive experience - that's a combination of frame rate, resolution and field of vision.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I appreciate the market driven stuff, but I was really asking about the limits of physical visual perception--is there such a thing, and if so, what is it? That is, at a given distance and for a given size when can the human eye no longer detect a difference?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? the crenelations on a grain of pepper.
scale from there. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm holding out for 12d gamma-photon screen and Gold-Ray player. Why invest 4 grand in a TV that's going to be outdated before the next season of "Dexter" even starts?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » When is enough ehough . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL