The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » BOA Review (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Review BOA,
I have had the BOA for a couple of days and last night used it at a block party.
WOW, this is a sweet one.
With the market down this week and the uneasiness people are feeling about the economy this depression era relic is a timely addition.
I have so many book tests that my memory fails me from time to time……problem solved with BOA!......an ingenious crib sheet is a part of this effect.
The book itself is a gem, perhaps the best yet in feel and looks, certainly it and Phantoms run neck and neck.
The print is a little small but works perfectly for me since I have a Victorian magnifying glass as a prop.

Vic, thank you for this……… Prof BC once again produces the performance manual……….

Rick, Outlaw has another winner

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......ers.html
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I believe mine to be on the way. I look forward to this as I've heard nothing but good things about it!

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
First saw this BOA post...thought RCP got a new snake !
Then realized it was "Book of Answers"
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
I appreciate the kind words and am happy that you are enjoying presenting it. All orders have been shipped and are on their way!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Hello all,
Can anyone else give me a review of this? I just ordered mine, and am anxiously waiting for its arrival
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'd like to know a little more about this if anyone has it.

I'm intrigued by the fact you combine it with a spirit bell. Just got me a death toll and although this wasn't what I was going to use it with, it could well be another routine for it.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Roslyn:
BOA is a sweet little book that recaptures the old, genuine spirit medium 'b00k te$t' of the Victorian era (as opposed to what magicians mean by the term today).

Originally, a sitter asked the spirit a question and it sent her to a particular page and paragraph in a particular book in the library where (when located) she found the printed material did in some way respond to the question in her mind. BOA does this. Your spec has questions about love, money, health, or the like (no force) and is drawn to a particular place in the book only to find that the sentences there specifically address that particular issue. It is almost like a conversation with the ghost.

What's more, the memory work is dead easy and performance possibilities are enormous.

I've just written the performance manual for Vic's THURISAZ deck and included several routines that incorporate those cards with the BOA for a full evening of seance communication.

. . . and the Death Toll bell could only enhance the experience.

Do look into it.

Best,
BC
Phasmologist
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
You could certainly use this with a spirit bell Roslyn. BOA would be great for a Q&A/seance routine.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cool, thanks Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Recently I received my copy of BOA. But to be honest I'm less enthousiastic compaired to the former speakers.

The method is absolutely very, very clever! The book definitely looks like a book from 1931!
BUT... In my opinion it does have shortcomings.
Throughout the book there are several typo's. Mostly innocent, but sloppy (surly instead of surely, my instead of may, it instead of in, and so on).
More annoying is a typo regarding diminishing earnings: ".... Is not gone..." should read "... Is NOW gone..." . The meaning of the content changes dramatically by this typo.

In the add it says "250 different answers" this is simply not true. My estimated guess is that only halve of the entries is unique. The rest is a repetition of earlier entries.

Is that a problem?
It is if you perform this with multiple viewers. You run the risk that similar questions lead to different parts in the book but get the exact same answer.
In certain cases, one answer exists four times throughout the book(!). Lack of inspiration?
This is not a problem performing one on one.

So, useless?
No, as long as you settle for these limitations, the BOA is a nice piece in your bookcase and quite suitable for a one on one situation.
In my honest opinion, I think it is overpriced, regarding to the shortcomings (which are not necessary and could have been avoided).

Dutch Frank
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 10:02, DutchFrank wrote:
Recently I received my copy of BOA. But to be honest I'm less enthousiastic compaired to the former speakers.

[snip]

Dutch Frank

It's "enthusiastic." Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 10:02, DutchFrank wrote:
Recently I received my copy of BOA. But to be honest I'm less enthousiastic compaired to the former speakers...Throughout the book there are several typo's. Mostly innocent, but sloppy...

Errr, Frank...uhhh, may I suggest SpellCheck or similar? It would save you from embarrassment...just sayin'... Smile

Doug
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
The guys point is fair one though and I appreciate the honesty, I have just ordered BOA and am still looking forward to it.

I remember the first time flicking thru my 1936 Luna, had a little chuckle when I saw my best friend from my school days name displayed there in the Loony bin -hee hee , wasn't chuckling so much the second time, nor the third and was a bit miffed when I saw his name 5 or 6 times to say the least, if I'd been the spec it would have been busted. Only an "extra" too, not a main actor in the excellent Luna saga, but that makes it worse to be honest, I mean how hard can it be to sit for an hour and pluck new names from thin air instead of all the obvious cut and paste? ... just sayin... Smile
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
@ Dutch Frank, I've had a little think on this since reading your words as I will be performing this to groups of people, probably I will tell the spec to read the answer in silence and keep it to themselves as the answer from spirit is for them and them alone, hopefully then even if 2 or more get the same answer it will not be recognized by the group or even each other. Will think on it more when I have the book in hand, but thank you for giving me a heads up on this point in advance.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 20:15, Blueboy wrote:
The guys point is fair one though and I appreciate the honesty, I have just ordered BOA and am still looking forward to it.

I remember the first time flicking thru my 1936 Luna, had a little chuckle when I saw my best friend from my school days name displayed there in the Loony bin -hee hee , wasn't chuckling so much the second time, nor the third and was a bit miffed when I saw his name 5 or 6 times to say the least, if I'd been the spec it would have been busted. Only an "extra" too, not a main actor in the excellent Luna saga, but that makes it worse to be honest, I mean how hard can it be to sit for an hour and pluck new names from thin air instead of all the obvious cut and paste? ... just sayin... Smile

What makes it worse is if your spectator has enough time to actually examine any of the Outlaw books in the manner you speak of, then you're not doing your job as an entertainer. This book is not reading material for the Oprah Winfrey Book club. If you lack the ability to engage in a little audience control, then maybe this effect is not for you.
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
So your point is the book is not examinable, which actually enforces MY point thanks.

I do a good job, I perform this professionally, never been busted, but the point remains.

I appreciate a good and honest unbias review, maybe reviewing material is not for you.

I will edit to say I LOVE Luna, but as our friend above so eloquently states the books are not examinable, they VERY easily could have and should have been, that all I'm trying to say.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 21:11, Blueboy wrote:
So your point is the book is not examinable, which actually enforces MY point thanks.

I do a good job, I perform this professionally, never been busted, but the point remains.

I appreciate a good and honest unbias review, maybe reviewing material is not for you.

I will edit to say I LOVE Luna, but as our friend above so eloquently states the books are not examinable, they VERY easily could have and should have been, that all I'm trying to say.

My point is the book is a PROP. This is not magic, this is mentalism. If your routine actually includes the necessary time for a tooth and comb examination of the book, then you are simply thinking like a magician, not a mentalist. Maybe mentalism is not for you.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
I welcome the honest review. Reviews like Frank’s are rare, but I welcome the chance to evolve and improve my products.

I apologize to Frank for his disappointment, and will be sending him something special for his troubles.

Vic
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Excellent response Vic Nadata!!
Al Desmond mentalism is not for me, you are very correct. Nor are magic tricks.
I said I noticed the name flicking thru it, I of course picked up on it because one of the names was significant to me, but so could others.
If you do not allow your spec to flip thru the the book when they pick it up, then ok. It seems natural to me to let them do that.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Family and friends see more of this than paying customers... I found anomalies in GH*ST, and the Sinister, White Chapel, thingy b00k te$ts... Plus improvements should PG be reprinted...
Does that take away from the entertainment...? No...!

Are these better than "think of a word... it's (general)" Yes...!

Make these props your own... OR don't use them... I am sure there are some people out there that will take them off your hands Smile
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » BOA Review (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL