The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » BOA Review (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
941 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I particularly love Margie Simpson...
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Luna has paid for itself many times over for me, that's why I smile when guys on here talk about the cost, with great items like Luna money should go in the bank not out of it - great items, but we should be able to chat about how they could be better without this defensive nonsense IMO
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 19:23, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 10:02, DutchFrank wrote:
Recently I received my copy of BOA. But to be honest I'm less enthousiastic compaired to the former speakers...Throughout the book there are several typo's. Mostly innocent, but sloppy...

Errr, Frank...uhhh, may I suggest SpellCheck or similar? It would save you from embarrassment...just sayin'... Smile

Doug

In Frank's defense, he is writing in his second language.

Steve
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Thank you Steve!

It would be nice to see the gentlemen write a review in Dutch....

And don't sorry, by the time I start publishing my statements and charge you $$$ for it, you can be sure every word will be checked (twice).

@Vic: Thank you very much for this nice gesture.

Frank
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Jef Pedal
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jef Pedal
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 04:00, DutchFrank wrote:
Thank you Steve!

It would be nice to see the gentlemen write a review in Dutch....

And don't sorry, by the time I start publishing my statements and charge you $$$ for it, you can be sure every word will be checked (twice).

@Vic: Thank you very much for this nice gesture.

Frank

We begrijpen elkaar Frank! Trouwens, als onze engelstalige vrienden de moeite zouden doen hun eigen schrijfsels op spellingsfouten te controleren, dan zouden ze meteen hun klep dichthouden want de meesten hier schrijven hun engels helemaal niet foutloos.
Je zal merken dat op dit forum vaak dingen beweerd worden, maar dat ze niet even vaak vervuld worden. En waar men al helemaal niet tegen kan is kritiek op de producten van de oppergoden van "de engelse term voor vogelvrij". De oh zo professionele genieën hier spenderen fortuinen aan hun producten en kunnen het niet hebben dat andere mensen hun wijzen op zwakheden, historische incosistenties of zelfs -in jouw geval- schrijffouten. Ik heb zelf een hele hoop van hun dingen, sommigen zijn meer bruikbaar in een act dan anderen en over het algemeen zijn ze wel ok. Maar even vaak slaan ze de bal compleet mis en zit je opgezadeld met een ongeloofwaardig product dat je eigenlijk niet wil of kan gebruiken.
Overigens, in de meeste van hun boektests komen de herhalingen waarover je het hebt, ook voor.
Vlaamse groeten uit Londen!
P.S.: Ik ben benieuwd hoe ze op deze post zullen reageren (grijns)
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Jef,

Je hebt een PM.

Frank

I'm Dutch.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Mischien is het heel snel weggegaan.

And in those six words there are probably a load of errors both of spelling and of grammar.
sorry Frank & Jef

Steve
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
941 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Sorry against the rules...
Quote:
Although The Magic Café has a global membership, with many members speaking several languages, we are based in The United States.

That said, we ask that you write all postings using the English language. If you wish to speak to someone in a language other than English, please use our private message system, or contact the other party by email.

All postings that do not comply, will be deleted with no explanation given.
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
You are correct Tim.
My appologies.

Steve
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Abra Cadabra posts must all be erased!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
812 Posts

Profile of lin
I appreciate Dutch Frank's review and others like it. It was respectful but also honest in regard to the issues that he felt could have been improved. It's important to hear both the good and the bad as perceived by the owners of effects. Otherwise, it's impossible for prospective buyers to make well informed buying decisions. Nothing's perfect, but having a good idea of what you're willing to overlook only comes with discussions of merits and minuses.

L.
Jef Pedal
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Jef Pedal
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 08:47, Tim Dowd wrote:
Sorry against the rules...
Quote:
Although The Magic Café has a global membership, with many members speaking several languages, we are based in The United States.

That said, we ask that you write all postings using the English language. If you wish to speak to someone in a language other than English, please use our private message system, or contact the other party by email.

All postings that do not comply, will be deleted with no explanation given.

Tim, I stand corrected; I was unaware of this rule. Ich danke dir recht herzlich Smile
I short, I said DutchFrank had a point and that picking on him for having written 'enthousiastic' with an o was small.
Led me to checking other people's posts and noticed no one writes without making mistakes.
And congratulated him on his english.
Manners, you know...
But, no more Dutch here!

Geoff
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Quote:
On 2012-09-07 21:28, Vic Nadata wrote:
I welcome the honest review. Reviews like Frank’s are rare, but I welcome the chance to evolve and improve my products.

I apologize to Frank for his disappointment, and will be sending him something special for his troubles.

Vic

Hey I hate everything you've done! And Outlaw. And Lebanon Circle!
Do I win a prize? Smile
[
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6722 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My ribbing of Frank was due to not realizing Dutch meant Nederlands Dutch! My apologies. I saw the humor in the typos, and jumped on it. And man...I speak some German, and Dutch is...Ha ha! No WAY could I even THINK of doing ANY kind of review...no!

Regarding L*n@, your thinking of it being a prop, and not a magic trick is correct. It is examinable...to a point. With all three books, I could not find any discrepancies. I did that before reading the manual. I expect most spectators won't know what to look for. Plus, they are old and delicate, not to be rifled through! Or riffled through, either one.

Oh, and respectfully in response to Jef Pedal:
Quote:
We understand each other Frank! Besides, if our English speaking friends would bother doing their own writings on spell-checking, they would immediately shut their door, because most people here do not write their English flawlessly.

Yes. I do agree there. I use a spell-checker and sometimes it does not catch all the errors; "may" instead of "my" for example. A grammer-checker might work better, but...really not sure about that.

Quote:
You will notice that on this forum often things are said, but they are not as likely to be fulfilled. And where one certainly can not stand, is criticism of the products of the chief gods of "the English term for an outlaw."

Really, no one likes their products criticized or slammed on the forums. In this case, I believe respect was maintained.

Quote:
The oh so professional geniuses here spend fortunes on their products and can not have other people point out weaknesses, historical inconsistencies or even-in your case-(written review).

In the case of L*n@, some of these incosistencies are solved through audience management. I am learning that Mentalism uses props differently than every-day magic does. The prop is used then put away, as any delicate item, for those time periods, would be.

Quote:
I own a lot of their stuff, some are more useful than others in an act and generally they are OK. But just as often they hit the ball completely wrong and you're left with an incredible product that you really do not want, or that you can use.

What product specifically "hits the ball completely wrong?", Jef? Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Moreover, in most of their tests, the book repeats what you're talking about, also.

Again, the books are PROPS, not something you leave on the coffee table for people to paw through. You use it for its intended purpose, and put it away...out comes the next prop, etc...

Quote:
Flemish Greetings from London!
PS: I wonder how they will respond to this post (grin)

:) Did I do OK?

Doug
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 12:43, Dougini wrote:
My ribbing of Frank was due to not realizing Dutch meant Nederlands Dutch! My apologies.

Doug

Apologies accepted.

Frank

I'm Dutch.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2012-09-08 12:43, Dougini wrote:

Quote:
The oh so professional geniuses here spend fortunes on their products and can not have other people point out weaknesses, historical inconsistencies or even-in your case-(written review).

In the case of L*n@, some of these incosistencies are solved through audience management. I am learning that Mentalism uses props differently than every-day magic does. The prop is used then put away, as any delicate item, for those time periods, would be.

Doug

Yeah, but when you think about it that's even weirder. The only place "in real life" you'd see stuff like this is in a museum or a private collection. This sort of "Chautauqua lecture circuit" performance style, is for the most part, a thing of the fairly distant past. I'm not criticizing at all, just pointing out that we are sometimes blinded by our own advertising. That being said, I'm hopelessly guilty as charged.
What would Wavy do?
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Recently ordered and recieved BOA from Gemini Artifacts http://www.geminiartifacts.com/ I got the aging done custon. Light as oppsed to heavy aging. I like them to look old but somewhat taken care of. Vic was great and really easy to deal with. About 2 weeks after the order I recieved the book. It looks amazing! I definitly did not expect to have it that fast considering they were launching Alch-Bane right at the time of the order. I have not fully gone through it yet as I just got it. To me this is the perfect cover for a creepy book. Simple and lightly aged. Book is from 1931 and it really looks the part. I have gone through the PDF on how it works and I am excited to give it a try. Definitley soon to be a staple offering in my arsenal. Here are some photos - so you can be the judge.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG

Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
394 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
Looks fantastic, congratulations to that nice prop!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I am thinking about buying the BOA and have a question. Since it has spelling mistakes in the book, what do you guys think of buying one of those blank page books and then age it? Once it is aged, then you could hand write all the answers from the BOA into the aged blank page book. I could also add hand drawn pictures, charts and correct the spelling mistakes. Even a small pendulum chart could be placed and used in the book to determine an answer.

What do you guys think?

Better yet, would be, if you could buy the BOA with blank pages........

Best
Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » BOA Review (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL