The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tomorrow is my first time competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
463 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hi my friends,

It is my first time competition tomorrow.
I'll compete in close-up venue in one of the biggest annual convention here in Taiwan.
I'm quite nervous and excited now.
How can I calm myself down?
Hope everything goes well!

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27137 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are some exercises designed to help manage test anxiety - and those are likely described on websites - imagination exercises.

The competition is an interesting place to meet some very knowledgeable people and also see how others bring their best efforts for a demonstration under time/venue pressure. Bring your best self and make some friends there. In the mean time - besides the exercises you can go find a few audiences and watch them enjoy your routine by performing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
All the best Yuyen. I'm looking forward to a full report of your experience--and, of course, your success.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
As JT mentioned there are good visualizations. Exercise has been shown to help with stress and anxiety.
I like to walk around in parks and woods. There's one park that has a stone bridge I like to play gung-fu forms on. I feel like this routine has really helped my stress. I even ditched the meds last year. Not everyone responds the same to the same things though.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
In the theatre it helps to remember that you come bearing a gift to give to the audience. Concentrate on the beautiful gift you have to share, and the wonderful people with whom you are going to share it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Understand the following. It might help.

Human beings are animals. As such we have not gotten any better response to this than "fight or flight". It is the only way your body knows how to be at peak performance. People often inturpret this wrong. Know what it is and don't let it bother you.

Things happen like your stomach stops working and redirects blood to other places. You begin to breathe heavier and oxyginate blood more so your muscles have more energy. You start to sweat as adrenaline is pumped into you. All of these symptoms are perfectly normal and just your body getting ready to be at its best.

Mind you your body may think a Saber Tooth Tiger is running after you and not know it is only a double lift you need. Either response is going to be the same. Just understand what is happening and use it. Dissipate some of that energy. You will be fine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Everyone here who has entered a magic competition has felt exactly as you have. Lance Burton has felt that way, as has Johnny Ace Palmer. They both did fine. So will you.

Have fun. If you do, you've already won.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I've only ever been in one magic competition. It was at a convention and I decided to enter at the last minute. I had nothing really prepared but I had a pocket full of coins so I quickly thought of what I could link together as a short routine and how. I went directly after this amazing 12 year old kid who did insanely good card magic. (He ended up winning.)My hands were a little shaky, as was my improvised patter. But I have no regrets about it. I recieved many compliments afterwards and I never have to wonder what I could have done.
~Will Rogers
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I tell the audience that I'm a little nervous, so it helps me calm down a little if they all picture me in my underwear.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 19:32, S2000magician wrote:
Everyone here who has entered a magic competition has felt exactly as you have. Lance Burton has felt that way, as has Johnny Ace Palmer. They both did fine. So will you.

Have fun. If you do, you've already won.

Johnny Ace Palmer was nervous?! Now you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Just go out there to have fun, don't pressure yourself that you have to be first place. Just perform your best (that's why you've put so much time into practicing) and have fun with the audience, make sure you captivate them. Learn from the other competitors, audience reactions, and the judges comments. Then apply those things to your practice, and keep competing.

Good Luck!!
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
463 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Thanks for all the help here.
I really appreciate it.

The competition is over just now, and the award will be in 3 hours.
I think I might not got the first 3 cause there are so many good performers.
But I'm glad I joined and I did my best, I didn't make any mistake, I can only cross my finger now.

There are some really good sleight of hand performers over there, cups and balls, cards, etc.
What I performed is mentalism, I don't know if the judges will like it.
I hope the judges will like my routine and my presentation.
I'll let you know the results.
Good luck to me!
Thanks all of you again!

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Busking in Mong Kok
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
463 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hi there!
Can't believe I got the 2nd prize!!!
So lucky that the judges like mentalism!!!
Thanks all for the advices here on the Café.

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Busking in Mong Kok
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Congratulations YuYen. Well done!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20533 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 09:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

In other words it was your hard work that got it done. Not some random short term fluxuation in chance. Congrats. 1st competition, and you nail second.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Excellent job!
~Will Rogers
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Good job!

(Did you have fun?)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yay!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tomorrow is my first time competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL