We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New Kid (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Tonight I ended up double-booked (through little fault of my own - alcohol was involved as one of the bookers was ****ed when she booked me, and gave me a wrong date).
Rather than let down the drunk, I got one party to accept a substitute hypnotist. Then I called on a young magician over here, Steve Spade. Steve has a good comedy club set, oodles of confidence, and has read Reality Is Plastic (but only once). I gave him a CD and spent an hour with him, explaining the mechanics of a stage show.
He stormed the place, and had a great night. Hopefully he will do more of it.
Those of you who are thinking of taking the plunge and doing a stage show, take heart. It is possible.
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
Tony

You should start a training course for wannabe stage hypnotists that don't want any training... er, hang on.

HK
Too much style to be a stage hypnotist.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
An interesting thought hypnokid. What if: 'it's all a lie?'.
What if someone with decent presentation skills can be trained to do a hypnotic stage show in exactly one hour? What would/does that mean, one wonders?
An extremely interesting 'thought experiment'.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Didn't Derren do something like that in the Faith healing show? For some people it is possible to get away with it. But I doubt for most. Plus they would still have a lot to learn after.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well as there are as many opinions of what hypnosis is as there are people, learning the process and presentation of putting on a good hypnotism show is all that is needed.

Granted that is actually the hardest part and if you have no presentational skills and confidence then someone is going to find it uphill work.

Talking about what hypnosis is and the many ways to do it or even that you are not using hypnosis and/or a formal induction are all very interesting on here, but are rather meaningless in a show.

A DJ doesn't need to know how the mp3 file he is playing is encoded, he just needs to know the process needed to make it play it and present his show.

Of course in any show safety must be known and employed but the point here is that as no one can seem to agree on what hypnosis actually is, it is not important to know that to do a show. And even if you do think you know what hypnosis is, it's only one opinion which may be totally right, totally wrong, or somewhere inbetween.

So it's:

1 Safety.
2 Presentation/confidence/show structure.
3 Forming an idea about what hypnosis is if you want to.
4 After doing 3, working out what works best for you and applying it to 1 and 2.

And Bobser: If 'it's all a lie?' it doesn't matter, it still works. Just carry on!

Magic and Mentalism are all lies but have a good entertainment outcome.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Can't argue with any of that Shrubby. By the way my comment wasn't about there NOT being such a thing as hypnosis. I'm very much in the YES camp.
I was rather wondering if it's a lie to say that 'it's all sooooooo difficult.'
As long as you're talented of course the answer is no, it can in fact be quite simple. The problem is that hypno courses are riddled with talentless people (I'm talking lack of people skills here).
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2444 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well you get a lot of talentless magicians at a magic convention and loads of karaoke singers at any talent contest, so you will always get some hypnotists who know the basics of what they are supposed to do to hypnotise someone, but some do not even have enough presentational skills (people skills if you like) to even approach someone and ask them if they wish to be hypnotised. Leave alone take command and keep the attention in a full blown show.

The learning isn't at all difficult but presenting it, rather like Metalism, is where it is all at and where the hard work and creativeness come in. (Or doesn't with untalented people)

As for lying to the audience that it's all complex and difficult - It's showbiz say whatever makes you look good that you are happy in saying.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The VAST majority of the good show is simply theatrical in nature. Not tough to believe that with little training, having seen a couple of shows and a bit of knowledge of the induction that under the right circumstance you could have a good night. The thing is would you always have a good night?

Of course it can be done, it has been done by many.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
`There is also another important skill that's not often mentioned. And that's the ability to spot good subjects and get them to interact with each other in the funniest ways. To be able to get the best reactions out of people. that's a skill that can only come with experience. Ive seen so many hypnotists in the pass miss great opportunities to take a skit to a different level because they don't have this skill or ability.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Guys, I will agree with most of you that Steve has a lot to learn, and will have bad nights. He has to learn to spot the good subjects, turn a show that is going bad, etc. But I found it interesting that he pulled off a show well with very little training.

In fairness I should point out that Steve is a charasmatic pefrormer with plenty of confidence and showmanship. That's why I asked him to do the show. I know guys with plenty of knowledge of hypnosis (more than I have) that I would not have asked.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Even with all the training in the world, the only real teacher is the audience anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » New Kid (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL