The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Blasted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
Does anyone remember a coin effect from the 70s called Blasted? Basically a spectator chose one of two coins (English penney or a half-dollar, then a wine glass was inverted on a small metal dish on which the remaining coin rested. Then the performer would pick up the selected and "blast" it down through the stem of the wine glass onto the the metal tray where it would arrive clanging wildly with the other coin.

I wanted to try and see if I could find one to purchase. Does anyone know if they are still available. I know, I know, the almighty Google...but Google gurgles on this one and returns junk.

Best

John
"In victory you deserve champagne…in defeat you need it!" –Napoleon Bonaparte
Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea Around 40 years ago I had Blasted Jr. A smaller version of the trick!

WOW 40 years---- I must be geting old!!! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
There are a few out-of-country companies selling a similar effect on the big auction site currently.

A tray/coaster is supplied along with a link to online video instructions. Depending upon the source you choose the handling is really done well.

What makes this lastest version truly unique is that there are no gimmicked coins required!

Julie
ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
Quote:
On 2011-06-04 23:52, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea Around 40 years ago I had Blasted Jr. A smaller version of the trick!

WOW 40 years---- I must be geting old!!! Smile

No...No...No...not old...never old. Smile David unfortunately I feel the old thing too well. The link which Garrett
provided shows a second effect which is the original blasted. I guess it has been worked on over the "YEARS."

Guy's thank you so much. As I am getting older I find myself drawn back to the magic of over forty (40) years ago.

Best Regards,

John
AnthonyJD
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Island , N.Y.
340 Posts

Profile of AnthonyJD
I just purchased one from Mark Mason at JB magic. I had one from Tannens!Back in the day 1970.......something . I remember they had 2 versions, I had the cheaper one. I was 14 or 15 then. Mark,s uses a similar "coaster" like tray . But these have a nice black felt material on them. And FYI I feel old too wow!
ancientmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson AZ
112 Posts

Profile of ancientmagic
Hey Anthony,

Another 70's child. Glad to meet you.

John
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-06-05 01:19, Julie wrote:
There are a few out-of-country companies selling a similar effect on the big auction site currently.

A tray/coaster is supplied along with a link to online video instructions. Depending upon the source you choose the handling is really done well.

What makes this lastest version truly unique is that there are no gimmicked coins required!

Julie

what latest version is it that uses no gimmicked coins?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jonathan

You'll have to search on e-bay--just recently there were a few companies showing an online demonstration and selling the special tray (only) for as low as $1.99--whatta deal!

More recently some other "dealers" have jumped on the product and are asking considerably more for the same item.

Mine was shipped from Singapore and arrived in about a week. (The name on the enclosed card is Magic_KenKen.)

Be sure and look at a couple of different videos because there is a "best" routining.

It's worth the effort...

Julie

P.S.> if you still have your Blasted or Blasted Junior tray you will be able to work out this "new" handling without the gimmicked coins after watching the demo a couple of times.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay Anthony, John, We will have to start the old geezers Club! And Maybe--- will let jonathan join!:)
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Yup. I've got a Blasted Jr. (from the 70's of course), and a version of the full size one (whose name escapes me at the moment) that used no gimmicked coins. Basically you're doing the same thing that the gimmick allows you to do, but obviously the display isn't quite as clean prior to the "blast". On the plus side, you're clean as a whistle _after_ the "blast". I don't see why the no-gimmick handling can't be applied to the equipment supplied with gimmicked coins - especially if you use something like a dime and a quarter.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
One of my favorite effects:

Tannen Blasted Jr
Harry Stanley Blasted
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Swadling created it and in those days Tannen's would rip 'em off. Swadling also created the Swadling Swindle (probably the first ever use of magnets in coins).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RyanAdams
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of RyanAdams
I believe Mark Mason has released a newer version of this, simply called blasted. Have a look at the JB website, I'm sure I saw this at Blackpool.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
OK, one more...I just remembered Bob Little (Guaranteed Magic) selling Robert Swadling's Ring Of Fire, which utilizes a somewhat similar tray. However, it is the penetration of a coin through the tray which is set over the mouth of an upright glass. The two coins are covered by a small cover (which action conveniently causes them to nest); lighter fluid is poured into a little ridge that runs around the outer edge of the tray; the lighter fluid is ignited and the "chosen" coin is seen to visibly penetrate the tray and fall into the glass. All this without the magician needing to touch the cover or the tray!

Julie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Take blasted, slightly revise/replace the gaff, add a double deception gaff set and then ... work out your patter.

really
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-06-08 20:25, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Take blasted, slightly revise/replace the gaff, add a double deception gaff set and then ... work out your patter.

really

You are one sharp cookie! Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Thanks Julie,
I owe it all to the kind folks at Tannen's who demonstrated the tricks so well and offered encouragement as I explored all sorts of half baked ideas - a few of which worked out nicely. From Tony Spina who actually did the tricks well to Jack Ferraro who saw behind my edginess to my love of the craft of making the impossible appear to actually happen. Believe it or not Tony used to demonstrate Eddie Joseph's Shattered and did it pretty darn well. Inspiring.

Folks, feel free to ask questions.

And again thanks Julie,

Jon
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A source for the tray is Mccullochs, ~$4, do a search for coin coaster
http://www.mccullochs.on.ca/

Hank Lee sells the Coins Away

I got Energised Coins, by Marvin's Magic at Toys R Us, close out for $10
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Just a little bit of sneaky and you can use a marked coin for the one that appears inside.
use the [ to swap the signed coin for the dupe - and away you go.

;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Blasted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL