The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wood thickness for B**e (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
What thickness wood is recommended for a deceptive b**e?

I started building a crystal casket in '09 and want to finish it this year. The table part of it is 2x4 as a frame with 1/4 wood on top. What wood would be recommended to support an assistant?
-Matt
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Paul Osborne recommends using 1/2" plywood glued and screwed in place. The size of the b**e and the assistant might require some adjustment however.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Thanks!
-Matt
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think some people use aluminum for the lower part because it's thin and it gives.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I've seen others recommend fiberglass, but you also need to construct a form if you're going that route.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Do not use wood. Go with an aluminum sheet as suggested. Upholster the inside with black vinyl to seal it.

Its thin and strong with a little give. It also greatly reduces the overall weight of the prop. You'll want that.
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
If he goes with aluminum, what thickness aluminum would you recommend? .09? .125?
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It depends on two factors... weight and span.
Ray Pierce
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Back in the day... I bought old street signs from the city of san diego... they were overkill as far as strength.. but they were CHEAP! I made a GREAT vampire illusion out of one... and a Palanquin.. ***ized from both the osborne plans and the rand woodbury palanquin 2000

You'd be surprised how big some of them are when you see them up close... and I had them cut at a sheet metal shop for $15 per cut.

It was a great deal at the time.. and it would surprise me if you couldn't track down a deal like that again.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I LOVE the street sign idea... ingenuity at it's best!!
Ray Pierce
chleby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of chleby
Aluminum or fiberglass would be a great alternative to wood and would both be sturdy and lighter. Also would not need to be as thick which would allow it to be slightly smaller.
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry MAGIC SHOW Times Scare NYC
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry Spring 2011
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Wood thickness for B**e (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL