The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Pittsburgh Convention Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
312 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Okay this is for my information only (of course others are free to look and read)....I am assuming (yes I am aware of what happens when we assume), but I am assuming many if not all of the events, lectures, competitions, hospitality suites etc will be held at the main hotel (the Wyndham) except of course the gala show....

The last convention I attended was Tannens Jubilee in the 60's at Browns Hotel in the Catskills (okay, now you know about how old I am) but one of my fondest memories of the event was the knockout impromptu magic lessons and demonstrations to all hours of the morning in the hotel lobby (I was too young to hang out in the bar back then) Do you guys and gals think I can expect the same or are my expectations way too high?
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
Hello:

The Wyndham Grand is the largest hotel in Pittsburgh and can accommodate all of our events, lectures, dealers, SYM activities, contests, and some shows on their 2nd floor. Everything will be easy to get to. Although there is plenty scheduled from morning to late night, there will be some down time to visit the Dealers, your old friends, or meet and talk magic with new friends.

New this year will be "affinity" tables set in the lobby for making new friends and sharing ideas with those other magicians who share a common focus of magic (I.e. Kids magic, mentalism, cards and coins, etc.). More on this to be released shortly.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday night's gala shows and final North American Championships of Magic contests will be in the beautiful Byham theater, which is less than 3 blocks walk from the hotel.

Convention Registrar, Anne Weidhaas and I are looking forward to seeing you in Pittsburgh.

You Have a Friend in the S.A.M.
Mark Weidhaas
National President
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
126 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
I don't see anything about parking on the S.A.M. website for the Wyndham Hotel. I 'assume' the hotel has parking and a fee is charged. Does S.A.M. members attending the convention get a redued rate for parking?

See you There!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
BTW. I set up the Garmin (which had the latest updates) and it still calls the hotel the Hilton. Just go by the address and forget the name.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
$26/day at hotel. We just drove past a lot 1 block away with $13/day rate.
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Paying for parking is ridiculous. You pay good money to sleep and then they slap you with an extra 125.00 just for parking. Also there was no mention of this when booking the hotel, etc.. I am not very happy about the cost of parking.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree it is a racket but the convention committee did let people know about this. The hotels are charging for everything anymore. Parking, wireless ( find a McDonald for free) and anything else they can tack on. There is nothing the committee can do about this. You don't even want to know what they charge for a pot of coffee.

This is one reason I limit my big convention. I prefer the smaller ones where the lodging costs are much lower for a variety of reasons.

Look forward to seeing you in Pittsburgh.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Does anyone know what street the lowest parking fee was found on so I can plug it into my gps? Thank you
weidhaas
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of weidhaas
It looks like it is 626 Commonwealth. Internet is free at the hotel. Taxi from the airport is about $37. Members of the local Assembly have volunteered to shuttle people - very, very nice of them.
Isaiah
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Isaiah
Thank you I will head there first and then walk over to the hotel. See you guys Tuesday.
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
972 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
I'll see you guys there, have a safe trip.
Bob
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
312 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
The convention was great, fantastic, perfect and S.A.M. did a fantastic job, zero complaints there, but a few complaints about the hotel, the room was fine, the convention floor, dealer rooms, Sam stage were fine, but for a major hotel (I think) to not be able to provide a pen and pad, either at the front desk or in room, is a little absurd, and to close the bar at 1:00 am is strange, and to not have a small restaurant on premises for breakfast or small snack is odd...

I'm thinking (uh oh, this may be trouble) the hotel may just be for opposing teams playing the Pirates, with the teams providing many of the amenities for their players. but I don't know

As a Whole GREAT CONVENTION
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
972 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Wasn't there a restaurant next to the bar? My nitpicks were the terrible wifi reception on the 14th floor and the lethargic elevators. But neither of these detered me from having a wonderful time. A special thank you to everyone that help put this on.
Bob
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
312 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Yes, there was a restaurant near the bar, but very very frou frou and not most peoples tastes, it was always quite and obviously empty
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The internet was terrible. I was on the 21st floor. No airport at all. I tried to hard wire in but that did not work. The desk said it was not Mac compatible.

I suffered through getting emails in the lobbies. Meeting rooms were blocked and needed an extra fee to get wifi in them.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Jared Cassidy
View Profile
New user
Huntsville, AL
37 Posts

Profile of Jared Cassidy
Mark and the rest of the convention crew did a great job putting together a great convention this year. There was a lot going on, but I did not feel overly rushed either. Many of us nite-owls regrettably missed some of the early morning events, but that is the case at most magic conventions.

Overall, the hotel was pretty good. However, I would not have been willing to pay their regular room rates...it was not THAT good. The free internet was nice, but extremely sketchy on its availability. One thing I found very peculiar about the hotel was that trash cans were virtually non-existent. Most hotels have a few trash cans aroud in the lobbies and main promenades. That may sound like something trivial, but after you walk around for a while with trash in your hands (especially the remnants of the very popular $5 ice cream from the gift shop) looking for someplace to dispose of it you can get a bit annoyed.

The S.A.M. convention crew did a fantastic job delivering a top notch convention. It takes a lot of work to do that and it is very much appreciated.

Jared
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » Pittsburgh Convention Questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL