The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maximum Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1242 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Don't feed the troll...
:D

back on topic: wonderful book!!
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Okay, Eric. Agreed.

Yup. It's gonna be a wonderful book.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9775 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sounds like it's time to move on. Bad Food, Women, what's there to stay for? Oh Canada!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Mark,

I like the Nelms, book and found it very usefull.

Also the Tarbell, books.

Have found the knowledge of acting skills and theatrical production to
be of great value.


Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
All power to you, Jim.
I bet you wouldn't like the Weber book though. He says therein that Criss Angel is a wonderful fellow.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2011-06-17 17:05, Mark Lewis wrote:
All power to you, Jim.
I bet you wouldn't like the Weber book though. He says therein that Criss Angel is a wonderful fellow.


Keep in mind that Ken's book was written eight years ago.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Was Criss a nice chap then? No doubt this revelation will make Jim want to re-evaluate his opinion and invite Criss round for tea.
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
I continue to find Maximum Entertainment a most useful resource and if a dinosaur pans it then I know I'm on the right track. How can one not see the benefit in theatrical training as being helpful to anyone in the performing arts? I would also recommend Steve Cohen's book How to win a crowd. As for the word patter I'm with Eugene b
Burger who observes "...the word patter makes my skin crawl.". It's a script and it requires blocking and theatrical insight.

SPM

Ps. I can't understand why Mr. Lewis doesn't like my posts. Is it because he doesn't want his genius arguments to have any scrutiny? Continue to make outrageous comments, insult whomever you like but please expect someone to stand up to you and say what you are. I have no idea why Steve Brooks wants a person such as yourself insulting everyone in sight. His call. My call to say that you come across as a mean spirited mysoginist.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
And you, my boy come across as a pimply faced youth who should be put to bed at 7pm without any supper and not allowed to wander the streets at night and certainly should not be allowed on a computer. You are a smelly, horrible rat who has crawled out of a sewer. I could say worse things but I wouldn't want to give the impression of being impolite. Your plan of following me on every thread to annoy and irritate me is about to come to an end. You are NOT standing up to me since you don't have the intellectual capacity to do so.

Mr Burger may feel that his skin crawls to use the term "Patter". Well my skin crawls when I see him touching spectators and watching them look uncomfortable in the doing of it. He actually ADVOCATES touching people and I think this is quite disgraceful. UGH! Even Ken Weber is bright enough to advise against this in his so-so book. Furthermore Eugene Burger, sterling fellow though he is is one of those dreadful American magicians who over-present. I have always said that you can over present as well as under present. And Eugene Burger is a chief sinner in this regard. Having said that I think he is one of the best of the present bad crop of close up workers that are around nowadays. However, when he does mentalism orientated stuff it is quite horrendous and goes on for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and even his lovely voice doesn't save him.

However Sock Puppet Monkey or whatever his dreadful name is is being highly economical with the truth. He does NOT own Maximum Entertainment and has certainly NOT studied it in the depth that I have over the last couple of days. And I shall prove it here and now. I see that he is online right now. I presume he is at home and presume further that he has the book within reach. That being the case I challenge him to tell us all the first line on page 164 of the book. He should be able to do it straight away since he follows me like a perverted stalker wherever I go on this site. He really should take control over his hormones in a more productive manner.

Still, I shall give him 3 hours to come up with the line. Long enough for him to get the book off his alleged bookshelf and short enough for him to be restricted in any research. If he does not come up with the line I think that is sufficient evidence that he has no idea what is in the book and in fact doesn't even own it. Please bear in mind that if anyone cheats by sending him a private message I will know about it and the challenge will be invalid. I am psychic and can get vibes of cheating very quickly.

It is very difficult for me to be constructive in these threads (as I am trying to be) if I am being continually attacked by a drippy nosed child who should be out shoplifting like other kids his age instead of wasting time on a computer.

He says he knows he is on the right track. He certainly is not. If he were he would be tied down and run over by a train by now. When that wonderful event takes place then I WILL agree that he is on the right track. Until then in my capacity as a psychic reverend and holy man of the cloth I shall quote to him from the Bible.

"Go Forth and Multiply"
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
At nearly 50 years of age I doubt that I shall start answering to Mark Lewis and following his instructions as to my integrity whether I own a book or not. Such a difficult timeline he offers and specific page numbers. How very serious he is about all of this.

Still, here's some proof for the rest of the people just to show you what a turd Mr. Lewis is...

page 6 "At age fifteen I first saw my name in print; TV Guide
page 7 Everyone know--certainly I knew--that you must suffer
page 10 msitakes, and let me feel that I've contributed

Page 14 talks about the "Science" of Entertainment?
Page 17 The Search for Entertainment
page 18 Looking for Entertainment in all the wrong places

Can Mr. Lewis find Case Study # 3 A beginner learns a classic and teaches a lesson?
How about A Personal Entertainment Highlight: _ _ _ Ray at the card table
chapter 7 dress for success (your bow tie is a bit dated)

As for discussing the book in the context of Mr. Lewis and his argument. I think p. 211 speaks pretty clearly about asking your spectators their name. It doesn't make them feel uncomfortable but rather it lets them know very clearly that you're interested enough to ask.Perhaps Mr. Lewis should reread Chapter 10 How to be Funny (couldn't hurt). Dale Carnegie thought it important enough to remember and use someone's name as often as possible.

I could go on and on but really do I need to come to this section and defend myself against some dithering fool to prove that I even own the book and then be ridiculously challenged. I could go on and on but I'm off to study my Steve Cohen book before Headcase er master Lewis calls a pop quiz on that one to.

Other books beside my bed include Mnemonica, Foundations, Max Maven's Prism, Sleights of Mind, Get your Act together by Joanie Spina, Eugene Burgers DVD on Magical Presentation, This is not a book by Robert Neale, Secret Agenda by Giobbi, Sleights of Mind, Beyond Deception by Tobias Beckwith, Simply Simon in case he's interested.

SPM


ps. Gosh I hope that I submitted this in time and he doesn't take marks off.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I am sorry, young chap. You have offered utterly no evidence whatsoever that you are nearly 50. You are 20 years old. I am psychic and know these things. Secondly, I happen to know you have received a private message informing you of all that detail. I am therefore not going to accept it. I have evidence of the matter and I can prove it. Besides you were past the time limit. Furthermore all the books you have beside your bed have been published after 1954 and are therefore of no interest to me whatsoever. I have not found a single book published after this date which is of any use to me whatsoever.

As for asking their name I am NOT interested enough to ask. Besides it is a breach of privacy. And the audience don't give a stuff anyway. Mr Weber says that if you don't do this it shows that you don't care about your guests. He is right. I bloody don't. And neither does Mr Weber when he indulges in it. So why bother in the first place? He also says that you consider yourself more important than them. He is right. I certainly do. And he does too as evidenced by his chatter elsewhere about how privileged and superior you are to normal human beings by dint of the fact that you are an entertainer. I already know that I am superior so there is utterly no point asking people their names.

If somebody asks me my name I am always reluctant to give it to them. Grafter's instinct you know. Besides it is none of their business anyway. And since a volunteer has no doubt been dragged up without their permission it behooves them not to be subjected to further invasions of privacy by being interrogated about their names. A simple, "sir" or "madam: should suffice.

And I need no lectures about Dale Carnegie. I know all about the chap and his "Win Friends and Influence People" philosophy. The chap ended up divorced so that was one friend he didn't influence anyway.

I far prefer the philosophy of losing friends and alienating people. Far more fun.

Now I have received a private message advising me on a new tactic to deal with this horrible 20 year old cretin who thinks he is 50 and I shall try it out from this point on. We shall see if it works.
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Mark even though I'm informed you are a vicious little bald-headed scrote of a man, I must say I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts.
If only to see words like 'behooves'.

It behooves them.


Behooves.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I learned the word from the Reverend Ian Paisley from Northern Ireland and have used it ever since. A gentle mild-mannered fellow reverend of some repute whom many of you who follow Irish politics will have heard of. Furthermore another phrase I learned from him is "The Devil's Buttermilk" which is another word for alcohol.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-06-18 01:03, Sock Puppet Monkey wrote:

I could go on and on but really do I need to come to this section and defend myself...



Apparently you feel this need quite strongly, in addition to the need to follow ML around the Café!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
Chess Ann,

Are you like mark's little evil lab assistant? Seriously, at least he tries to be funny and that entertains the herd. You on the other hand are just stunningly boring with your comments.

Mark,

If I don't look in the mirror I feel 20. I can't argue with someone who apparently has the ability to read PMs that don't exist. I suspect that there's quite a bit of tin foil lining your home. I can tell you I'm married with kids and so your psychic skills are obviously waning faster than your apparent magical prowess. I understand that a person of your advanced age that your choice of the Svengali deck is something that will serve you well. I'm thinking that tour card work might be somewhat lacking and hence your great and lengthy diatribes with ACAAN and your friend Richard Kaufman.

SPM

I was thinking of attending a magic event up in Canada. The CAM I think it's called. I'm sure that given your high status in the Canadian magic community that you'll be headlining. We could meet for high tea at one of those poofy British places. How fun would that be. I'll bring along my 12 year old daughter and you could teach her your Svengali pitch. What a happy magic Café story ending that would be. Or should you prefer you name the scotch and I'll bring it along with some Cuban cigars. Heck I'm in such a good mood (wife is getting a message and my turn is next) that I'll even let you sign p. 164 of my Maximum Entertainment book. Byour not going to get a better deal than that. Also, don't bring your little minion chess Ann as I'm quite allergic to cats.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I like Mr Lewis. He seems to be someone we can all learn a great deal from. I'd like to learn from your copy of maximum entertainment if I may, to see if a agree with your point of view on the subject and, if it truly is as bad as you say, I Will endeavour to return it to you. I'll pm you my address and even cover your postage costs as, surely,relieving you of such an encumbersome tombe should only bring you joy.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
Quote:
On 2011-06-18 13:37, Withnail wrote:
I like Mr Lewis. He seems to be someone we can all learn a great deal from. I'd like to learn from your copy of maximum entertainment if I may, to see if a agree with your point of view on the subject and, if it truly is as bad as you say, I Will endeavour to return it to you. I'll pm you my address and even cover your postage costs as, surely,relieving you of such an encumbersome tombe should only bring you joy.


We could probably learn quite a bit from Mr. Lewis if he wasn't such a brilliant donkey with people. Given his dislike for the book I'm sure that he'd happily take you up on your offer to buy his book. Very kind of you to suggest this. I'll even make him a deal myself....here it is. I'll buy his copy of the book at full retail including shipping (with page 164 autographed "To my good friend Sock Puppet Monkey your friend Mark Lewis" and should he do so I'll even buy one of his dreadful Lives of a Showman books. If he was a real psychic grafter he'll be sending me a PM very soon. Don't worry Mark this offer isn't limited to 3 hours. You can PM anytime and I'll do the deal as agreed above.

SPM
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Withnail. You may as well buy the book from a dealer. I didn't say it was a bad book. I merely said it was an uncomfortable book. Uncomfortable because it is condescending and smug. Uncomfortable because it is disrespectful to specific performers. Uncomfortable because of the author's apparent adoration of himself.
And uncomfortable because it is uncertain that all the author's points are correct. I know the standard wisdom that this kind of thing makes you think. I don't agree. I haven't got time to think. I want to believe every word the author says and in this case I don't.

Half of the information seems valuable. I haven't got time to wonder about the other half.

I did meet a renowned mentalist about 6 months ago who quite liked the Maximum Entertainment book. He further informed me that Ken Weber was a friend of his. I asked him if Ken was any good and he said "Yes".
I also asked him if Ken loved himself as much as the book suggested he did. He hesitated and then a big smile came over his face and he admitted, "Yes, that is true. He does indeed love himself a lot"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-06-18 13:33, Sock Puppet Monkey wrote:
Chess Ann,

Are you like mark's little evil lab assistant? Seriously, at least he tries to be funny and that entertains the herd. You on the other hand are just stunningly boring with your comments.


Wow. You still don't get it - this is not about Mark Lewis, it is about you, yourself. In reading the above comment, all I can say is that if you really are nearly 50 and operate at this level, that is so sad.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Sock Puppet Monkey
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Sock Puppet Monkey
I find it fascinating that Chessmann can see no wrong in anything but what I post. I find it fascinating that in all of his posts that he too sadly follows along making his inane comments. This is apparently a place were people come to argue, joke, cajole about all things magical. Sometimes, the jokes/humour don't translate online. Still, I find Mark's schtick a bit much and so when I give some back to him we find him unable to take it and his yes men appear. Why can Mark give it out and not take it? Note Mark's new strategy of ignoring my comments hoping I might go away. I will until he returns with more of his nonsense such as what he posted in the Gospel section about being a Reverend and being led by Satan. Now deleted by the way. Why also can Mark do everything in this post that he finds so abhorrent in Mr. Weber? The rudeness, the intolerance, the ego on and on without end. Quite a double standard for certain. What's sad about someone posting here and sharing their thoughts and ideas? Oh I know it's sad because you don't agree or like them. Some people prefer to say things like "Don't feed the troll." so that the conversation isn't further fuelled by more of the same. I take issue with being called a liar from someone who claims to have "evidence" that I received private messages so I could comment on this book. Isn't that really more sad that someone would say such nonsense that he knows to be patently false. I'd love to see this "evidence" that Mr. Lewis doesn't have. The monkey isn't waiting but it appears that the snake has slithered back off into his hole.

Meanwhile back to the book...a book is an exchange of ideas between the author and the reader. I think Mr. Weber's book is bang on even though it does pose difficult or uncomfortable opinions. I don't agree with his assessment of some of the performers such as Max Maven but respect his right to hold them. They make sense to him and he provides a logical argument to support each of his premises. Too much in magic is the same old same old. What magic needs in my opinion is more difficult questions being asked about what/why/how we perform the way we do. This is what elevates our art. It changes canned grafter "patter" into scripts with a theatrical foundation. Our movements are blocked and our motivations aren't stupid or childish. I should think that following excerpt from the book (I apparently don't own/read/or study) is from the very Introduction where it reads "The tradition in most performing arts says that we always stroke a performer after a show, and save our true feelings for ourselves--or we share them with others and leave the performer no wiser." I've grown weary of that mindset. I love my craft too much. My recent experiences have been in a musical theatre setting where my magical talents form part of the greater show or production. There's nothing like the level of preparation, rehearsal, creative input that is sadly lacking from many magic acts/performers. There is nothing like the experience of hearing from your choreographer "Well, that wasn't hideous." That's what magic needs more of. More theatre, more entertainment and more thinking. Not more of the same old same old from people who simply don't know any better.

SPM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Maximum Entertainment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL