The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Where can I get double back cards? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
Does anyone know where to get double back cards from. Not red/blue, but court cards instead.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You're kidding right?

Maybe you're looking for double faced cards.

I get that kind of thing from my local "Brick and Mortar" Magic Shop (Grand Illusions in Sacramento CA).

-Mary Mowder
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Penguin
Lakewood, Ohio
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Richard, It is extremely quick and easy to make them. Put the 2 cards in a bowl of water for around 5 minutes then simply peel of the face. Remove the 'black stuff' (which is glue) with your fingers and put them to dry inside a book to keep them flat. When dry simply stick them together with a glue stick and put them back in the book so they again dry flat and straight - job done. Quick, easy and very low cost (and also a lot of fun!)
Hope this is of use.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Magic shops sell a bike deck which contain a variety of gaffs, including double facers, double backs, blank cards, and double backs with different colors. It's been a long time since I bought it; but I don't think it was too expensive.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
Ebay will do

Frans
IllusionsMichael
View Profile
Loyal user
The name's Donnie. I know... bad username choice..
250 Posts

Profile of IllusionsMichael
Raymondo, I never have used, nor care to use, a double-back card in any of my tricks, but that just sounded like such a cool project I went home at lunch and soaked some cards Smile I now have 4 faces stuck in a heavy book to dry/flatten.

Thanks for the DIY tip Smile
Michael Bluth: "So this is the magic trick, huh?"

Gob: "Illusion, Michael. Tricks are something a **** does for money."
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Wow
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Michael,
My pleasure! I think it is so much better when using gaffed cards if you ahve created them yourself from scratch.
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
Raymundo: I too had to try this immediately and it's just brilliant. I'd always feared any mention of "card splitting" but this method is within my meagre abilities. One slight addition I made was to put the damp card faces between a couple of layers of paper towels before pressing them flat to dry. This is the way we used to dry herbarium specimens back in my collage days.
I'm as real as you think I am
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

[quote]On 2011-06-11 14:51, alibaba wrote:
Raymundo: I too had to try this immediately and it's just brilliant. I'd always feared any mention of "card splitting" but this method is within my meagre abilities. One slight addition I made was to put the damp card faces between a couple of layers of paper towels before pressing them flat to dry. This is the way we used to dry herbarium specimens back in my collage days.

Hi alai,
Great idea! his will obviously dry them off quicker and keep them flatter. its good we can share ideas.
F.U.D.T.S.P
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of F.U.D.T.S.P
I get mine from cards4magic.co.uk in the uk. Very fast service and great quality.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
For special type of cards, like squezzers or Tallys, you can ask Marty grams to make them for you. Nice guy and he does a good job.
You can also split them yourself.

Here is his website: http://www.martinismagic.com/AboutUs.html

Slim
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of nooner
Taking the advice of Raymundo I gave the water bath idea a try. In no time I now have a complete set of gaffs for Hamman's Final Twist that I have been trying to hunt down for a while now. Are they flawless...no, but they are certainly good enough for a performance. Only a very close inspection and handling of the card will reveal that they aren't perfect, but as I am not planning on handing them around they are will definitely do the trick. Thanks for the tip. You saved be about $15-$20 in special order gaffs for just this one effect.

Jim
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I was chatting with John and I paid him like $4.00 and he mailed me a bunch of them. Super nice guy! I would've made them myself but this is such a miracle that I feel like he still deserves my money. Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
EBay
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
bidbid
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bidbid
Ebay or make them, it isn't hard.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Dry-splitting is faster, easier and less messy.

Also, you will want to leave one of the black cores in there if you want your gaff to feel and handle like a "real" card. The black core isn't really "glue"; it's a layer to block any transparency. Otherwise, backlighting will reveal the other side, especially with A,2,3 (lots of white space).

Good luck!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'll second Marty Martini, he'll give you what you need.
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Here is a downloadable one on one instructional video on DRY card splitting from Theory 11. Says with this method, you will be splitting a WHOLE deck of cards in under 20 minutes. http://www.theory11.com/wire/blake-vogt/......d-split/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Where can I get double back cards? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL