The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cases (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lemagician
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of lemagician
I use transportable drawers. Smile
dekerivers
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of dekerivers
I'm glad I'm not the only freak when it comes to a passion for cases. I think there is something magical about an old case, especially one that has been well used.

A case full of one's personal trade is kind of like your legacy that you hope to leave behind when you're dead and gone, in hopes that someday one of your ancestors will stumble upon it one day while rumaging through the attic.

Upon opening it they find all of the important items that defined your life. Every item gives a little glimpse into the exciting and itrigueing life that you led.

Oh how they'll wish they had only known you personally, then they could have asked you to tell them all of the enchanting stories of your real life adventures. Maybe, they might even aspire to be a little bit like you.

It's too bad they couldn't meet you, but they just might be able to put together the pieces of you life by examining the contents of the old case you left behind. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used to carry all sorts of cases for things I used in my close-up work. The more I worked, the more I realized that I did most of my work in my hands, and not on the table. At corporate banquets, for example, I would spend an hour or so strolling in among the (standing) group that was either gathering at the bar for drinks or holding conversations.

Consequently, I pared down all of the extraneous material. I work out of my pockets. My "extras" go in a small cloth bag with handles and a magical design on it. It simplifies things a lot!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kronos9326
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
229 Posts

Profile of Kronos9326
Dan: I have seen that Gig-rig you are talking about. That's a lot of money, for what I would think is a nice looking suitcase with some compartments.

Thankfully, I've been investigating these for a while now, and with the advice of Jeff Pinsky, have decided that to get what I truly want, I would most likely have to build it on my own. Having a father in law who is a professional carpenter, I have access to tools and knowledge that most people wouldn't, which means I can ask him to help me with the plans, etc, and he will help me build it for a small charge. (I can't ask him to do it for free now can I)

Should be interesting to see what comes from it.

David.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
We have your case-a-holics and I am a bag-a-holic.

I am ALWAYS looking at getting new backpacks all the time. As of now I have 3! One of them holds my skates and skate stuff, one is a small bag (I use it as a close up bag for now) and the 3rd one looked REALLY cool and the company that made it was about to discontinue it so I bought it. I used it for one semester at school and now it is sitting on my chair across the room.

Like I said, I see cool backpacks all the time and I always want the newest ones but I don't have a use!

I am looking for a nice slim metal case as of now. My friend has a Lowe's metal case. I don't have as many things as he has so I just want a nice slim metal case. When we go out to the Magic Castle we take the Train and subway. I always wonder how many strange/worried looks we would get if people saw 2 teenage kids walking around with these metal briefcases taking the subway in Los Angeles!

Chris
iMagic
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of iMagic
I am a close up dude so i use a shoe box or something of the sort, however every once in a while I have to do a kids show or a party so I use one of those college dorm trunks with wheels and its great.

For a table I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought a folding table for $9. I saved a lot. And thanks I am going to go look for a doctor’s bag, (I like them)
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I'm a big fan of Seward cases made by the Mercury Luggage Company. http://www.mercuryluggage.com

See these links for photos:

http://www.mercuryluggage.com/trunks/f18bf18.html

http://www.mercuryluggage.com/trunks/f17v17.html

http://www.mercuryluggage.com/trunks/f23bf23.html

They come in black finish or metallic brass finish .
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I just got the perfect close up case! At Roma (Home Depot type place) they had a 2 piece tool kit set. One was a big black metal briefcase type but inside was a small silver aluminum case that was perfect.
My son and I split the cost (it was $40 Canadian for the set) so my case cost me $20.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Anyone know where I can get a fairly light duty large trunk with wheels and dolly-type handle? The ones I found were the Anvil Speedster cases. They are very nice but overkill for me and out of my price range. I need something that will hold my manipulation table top, square circle, etc. and I can wheel it right to the performance site.

Also, should this forum be in special interest since it encompases both close-up and stage parlour workers?

I think I found something. It's a Stanley 50 gallon rolling work box. It has a retractable handle, lockable and made of tough plastic...and a third of the cost of an anvil case.
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
For the last month I've been going out without a pocket bulge.

Two packs of cards, x4 dollars, ring'n'string, Sharpie, large hanky and wallet. It's great to be so light...and to leave the case at home.

And the reaction I get is just as strong I reckon...I'm hoping.

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
Troll
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Troll
I carry my entire close-up routine in a tackle-box. It's simple, yet effective. I am currently trying to find something to hold my larger effects more...um, effectively...ya.
Caruthias
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario
67 Posts

Profile of Caruthias
My father is a surgeon, but he still uses a stereotypical doctor's bag. It's not leather, but it's the same shape and it has compartments on the side. I got him to pick me up another one from Canadian Tire. Hopefully I never accidentally take his in the morning...
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
I was down at Lowe's and I got two gatemouth bags for $20. They are exactly like doctor's bags, they have lots of pockets inside and they stand open on a chair or the floor. They look good and they don't cost nearly as much as doctor's bags.

There was also a really cool wooden tool chest with a couple of drawers and a tray for $24. I thought it might be good to store stuff at home. Cool stuff.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Check out the Slim-Line close up case at Malloy's.

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/slim_line.htm

This is something I would look for, a case with compartments.
But sure, ordinary cases works too.

Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I use a doctor's bag I got from Hank Lee. I've used it for 3 years and it's still in great shape. Often I load my pockets from it and leave it where I can get at it, working with just what I carry. Works great.
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Doctors' bags make great cases and people leave your stuff alone in them. They seem to create some level of respect on their own. They also have strong handles and wear like iron. Even better, they are also very available used or not so used. Doctors don't use them anymore. I'm a magician, and I have a nice one. My wife is a doctor who still makes house calls. She uses a WalMart bag because it reduces mugging for prescription pads and mostly because she thinks that doctors' bags frighten people. Many doctors are just employees now and don't own any medical equipment anyway. Things change!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I have a briefcase my wife gave me that she had forever. Attached to the lid on the inside are ten platic slots, they are the exact size of a deck of playing cards. Very convenient for carrying around various decks. I also have it sectioned with foam core for storing everything else.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Seth,

Now that is good luck!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
This has been a great topic!

I have had the hardest time with storing my goods. Currently I am using a $4 storage case that I got at Home Depot. I am sure you know the type...the kind that they store screws and electrical supplies in. It works well with my coins but not cards.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
My favorite case I have is a fishing tackle box I got at Walmart, price of $7.94. It has a clear plastic compartment on top the size of the whole box that can be subdivided with the dividers you get. I have in that area: TT, D'Lites, CC Knives, Matchbox Penetration, PenThru, Bat, Raven, MiniRings, Scotch/Soda, Wax, IT, QuarterSqueeze, plus more I can't remember. Then if you open the main compartment you have two large areas that can be subdivided. I have 12 decks, silks, cups, kennedy box, sponges, card frame, and more. I took some black construction paper and cut it to fit the clear top and taped it inside so curious eyes can't see what's in there. I have more expensive cases that look better but I can pack more into this than any thing else I've see in its size.
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cases (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL