The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do Statues make money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It doesn't change my thinking on the subject but I think you are correct.

At the same time, I'll bet there are balloonists that have lines/bits/gags for every balloon they make, literally an act,
and are actually entertaining the kids and parents while they endure the begging line.

There would certainly be some creativity in that, which I could appreciate give a hearty thumbs up.

Tony, if one is so in need of money and being a statue was a way to honestly make some income, I have nothing but praise and admiration for them.
They're doing something.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
An interesting article about statues...note the one fellow has been doing it 25 years!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2......rformers
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Ok, Off Topic post but this thread made me think of this....If there are any other Doctor Who fans out there I think they will know what I am talking about. How about a statue that is a "weeping angel"? Wouldn't that be something??
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I get it... I'm pretty certain 90% of your audience wouldn't.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One time I saw a man using a fake human horse statue. In other words it looked like a human with a horse head on. The statue was on its hands with gloves on and one knee. One of its legs were kicked outwards as if he is holding his leg up the whole time. People thought it was a real human inside the outfit as they would leave money in the hat. The real human would set the statue up in a spot and walk away to handle his business. He would come back to take the statue and hat home the end of the day.

If you can have a hollow statue made like that, do busking about 50 feet away as you are watching the hat next to the fake horse statue. At the end of the day pack it up in your car and go home.

I think I saw it on Youtube.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Dynamike, that is brilliant. Have my fake statue taking cash on one side of the street, and me taking cash on the other with my shows! I should hire you as my manager.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2011-06-16 09:34, EVILDAN wrote:
I saw a guy a few weeks ago at Fanueil Hall. The bucket looked pretty good. Not sure how long he was out there. But yeah, they move when money is put in the bucket. They don't move a lot, but there seems to be the fascination on what it's going to do next.

How can we work that into a magic act. Toss money in my hat and see what I'll do next? The bigger the hat, the bigger and better the trick?

Funny you should mention that. I did think about standing behind a table and in front of the table would be a sign that reads "does tricks for money"....of course it might get me arrested :0)

Danny
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2011-06-21 00:30, Dynamike wrote:
One time I saw a man using a fake human horse statue. In other words it looked like a human with a horse head on. The statue was on its hands with gloves on and one knee. One of its legs were kicked outwards as if he is holding his leg up the whole time. People thought it was a real human inside the outfit as they would leave money in the hat. The real human would set the statue up in a spot and walk away to handle his business. He would come back to take the statue and hat home the end of the day.

If you can have a hollow statue made like that, do busking about 50 feet away as you are watching the hat next to the fake horse statue. At the end of the day pack it up in your car and go home.

I think I saw it on Youtube.

Ha ha! I remember this - about 4-5 years ago - Detroit possibly.
It would be funnier to enable it to move a little once money was inserted.
I'll just set up 20 of them and retire...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I do the Balloon thing, and yes there is a ling,joke, gag, or bit for every thing. and I will at times refuse to make doggies. have the kids (or grown ups) to stump me. this is a lot of fun, but then agean I'm not a sword and doggie kinda balloon guy.

There is more to the statue thing than face paint and a milk crate, I have the luck to have seen some who were very good, and yes they made hat. but if you are just a "crate slug" well like any thing else you will get out of it what you put into it.

And the Dr. Who episode was "blink" I think. and I saw some one do a costume for that. way cool.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Even if there's good money in it, I can't see myself standing for hours on end with out moving. Takes a special type of person to do that kind of work.
Life of Magic!
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of Bobby Maverick
Crate slugs...

ugh.

So many wannabe performers end up on the crate because their show never got any good, or they were lazy and didn't want to give it the time it deserves.

I think there are some fantastic statues out there and I respect what they do. Their costumes are beautiful, and their make-up is flawless. They have respect for what they do and it shows. These are true performers.
I laugh at the ones that do it because they just arent any good at anything else nor do they want to work at having a better show...so they go for the "easier money". "Oh look the statue is making more money than me, I'm going to the hardware store to get some paint!" These people are the "crate slugs".
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Perhaps someone should do an instructional video on crate slugging.
Do you think there's any chance that someone will do it?
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Riff, the crate is simply used to stand on
It would be funny to make a video explaining how a milk crate works
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Hey Zoobini...come to think of it, I don't ever recall seeing actual milk in the crates since school days...

Where do they all come from?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Perhaps when I get older I may want to do balloons and not a big circle show but I doubt it. Something about having a huge crowd. Eh, who am I kidding? I'd never do statue. If I wanted to just stand around all day in order to get money I'd work for the government.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I am a professional entertainer that chooses the busking lifestyle. It's hard work, and very rewarding, and I've paid my dues. I post helpful comments around here when ever I feel like I can advance the dialog in a positive direction. I almost never get involved in personality disputes in threads driven by ego; I don't take sides for or against just because a certain person's name is being used. I couldn't care less if someone follows Gazzo over Talksalot; I couldn't care less if you twist, or do mime, or do circle shows. What I do care about is advancing our common name and our common reputation, especially here in the States where busking is so misunderstood. As Eduardo has astutely surmised, I don't do "half words". I talk straight and tell it like it is, 100% of the time. But sometimes I choose not to respond to childish taunts in the hope that they will just get bored and leave me alone. But when they don't; when they persist; when they get louder and start to bring in their friends, then it's time to step in and say enough is enough. Like with a drunken heckler. That's all I'm doing here. I'm just saying, hey you've had your "fun", but enough is enough, now move on. Just pick up your bottle, stop slobbering and tripping all over my stage and me, and move on and let me get back to work. Thank you. I'm here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.
Bobby Maverick
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Smile

No worries Chance.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I wish I could have stuff deleted. Like anything that has to do with statues. I think they are great at theme parks when water is shooting out of them and the makeup is gorgeous but I think the guys that paint themselves with spray paint from a diy store and stand there on a crate give buskers a bum rap. Anyone can paint themselves and stand still. ANYONE that cares to. It takes no talent and less brains. Makes Buskers look like beggars. That's a bum rap. Do they make money? Sure. I have seen guys with card board signs saying "Will Work For Food" walk around the corner and get into a Benz to drive away. In L.A. I've seen a guy dumpster diving and then go get in a Jag. There is money there but I feel there is little respect for yourself. How do you want to make money. Not how much money can be made.

That is how I feel. Is it worth deleting? As long as we are deleting feelings it may as well be. You have to wake up to yourself every morning. Not me or anyone else.

p.s. I have started a list of why I like GOOD buskers over cruise ship entertainers. It's given me a laugh. I may share it on a blog or something. #1. Buskers are funny.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
When I was studying mime at a certain Parisian school, we did a couple of evenings out as statues for exercises in perspective on certain aspects of mime training. We were also allowed to keep any money we happened to make during this exercise, it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I must mention that I am not a busker or street worker (not really my thing), but I will say that it still takes a fair bit of creativity to come up with a good character and an interesting costume. Three of us cleaned up pretty well those 6 nights...I can definitely see how some statues do very well with it and as Frank Starsini said previously, when money needs to be made (desperately or not) at least they are doing something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do Statues make money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL